539 BCE

by Zico 142 Replies latest jw friends

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Ezekiel 40:1 says no such thing, it simply gives the date of a prophetic utterance during the exile and even Josephus quite properly associated the land, the city and the temple with that fixed historical and prophetic period of seventy years. Once again as per usual you talk stupid.

Jeremiah 25:12 most certainly refers to the exile because the prophecy with its fulfillment would be of comfort to those exiles living in Babylon who would be released from Babylon in 537 BCE having witnessed its fall as judgement in 539 BCE. Celebrated WT scholars love facts and in company with all loyal Witness read God's Word daily so they all in concert love the facts and the prophecies in the Bible unlike apostates who prefer higher criticism.

There were no inhabitants in Judah during the exile because the land was totally depopulated and devastated and this once again fulfilled the Law and prophecy and was the will of Jehovah. But the higher critic argues otherwise and tries desperatly to undermine the clear pronouncement of scripture for the ' land waswithout an inhabitant' according to Jeremiah. There was an earlier exile of the higher people some ten years prior to the major exile commensurate with the Fall of Jerusalem in 607 BCE. Your argument to the contrary only seeks to pervert biblical history.

Your so-called superior chronology is simply a Jonsson borrowing and is pure bunkum because it misplaces the seventy years but if you believe it to be so good then send it to Jonsson or have it published in a leading journal. If the Society;s chronology is such a joke then it reflects poorly on the intellect of apostates because many of which once believed in such a chronology such as Jonsson and Franz so the joke is on them. Further, if the chronology is such a joke then why is it that apostates continually ruminate against it and try by desperate means to falsify it. It cannot be that bad because our chronology was very close to depiction of the Divided Monarchy and there is only a twenty year difference for the Neo Babylonian period. A difference of twenty years is small bikkies and can hardly be a joke. What chronology of the many hundreds developed within Christendom over the last centuries would you praise or commend? What dates do you give for Adam's creation or for the appearance of our Lord on earth, birth and death? Pray tell you high-minded one?

Chronicles most emphatically sates in the very next verse, verse 22 in fact that in the first year of Cyrus that Jeremiah's word would be accomplished and so it was not at the apostate date of 539 but the hallowed date of 537 BCE.

There is no confusion over the Hebrew words for these are common terms and Jeremiah by means of metaphors and poetic imagery defined these terms specifically. It is not the astronomical data that creates the twenty years but is the interpretation of the regnal data contained with the astronomical data that causes confusion and the omission of the historic seventy year period that creates an authentic twenty year gap.

Remember the Bible nowhere has a reference ot a fifty year desolation, exile or servitude, such fifty years is simply the invention of the higher critic and the apostate.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

You said it. Scholar is definitely mentally ill and I have long suspected it. Too bad we should all pray for him and wish him a swift recovery.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

sceptic 2

Oh yes it will because there is always a reward for those who loyally support God's Word. I have not buried my head in the sand because I have considered all things, all secular evidence and have concluded that the celebrated WT scholars have produced with Holy Spirit and God's Word a beautiful thing, Bible-based chronology.

scholar JW

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Oh yes it will because there is always a reward for those who loyally support God's Word.

Yes exactly, which is not you. You loyally support the WTS. I don't think God will punish you for this, as you do seem sincere in your ignorance. I hope we will take pity on you.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Oh yes it will because there is always a reward for those who loyally support God's Word. I have not buried my head in the sand because I have considered all things, all secular evidence and have concluded that the celebrated WT scholars have produced with Holy Spirit and God's Word a beautiful thing, Bible-based chronology

"If the Society told me that this book is black instead of green, I would say, `Y'know, I could have sworn that it was green, but if the Society says it's black, then it's black!'

A comment made By District Overseer Bart Thompson in a Public Discourse during the early 80's. This comment encapsulates most of the thinking of our self-appointed 'Scholar' in his repeated call to loyalty for the Brooklyn Chronology, and his failure to acknowledge the weight of evidence against such a chronology.

HS

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    1. Sadly I am unable to assist you with the identity and locality of the Celebrated WT scholars for I have asked scholar that very same question and all I get is a deep scowl and groan from his cave so I have learnt that it is best to leave that matter rest.

There's that split personality again. It seems that 'scholar' may genuinely be in need of psychiatric help.

[meritless drivel]
    2. Biblical or Bible chronology is simply a chronology that is based upon the Bible and contains a tabulation of dates connected to events of the Old and New Testament beginning from the Creation of Adam to the book of Revelation. It owes its genesis to the esteemed work of Archbishop James Ussher whiose chronology was presented as a marginal reference in the King James Version of 1611. In order to reconstruct such a chronology a methodology utilizing secular data is required in order to establish key pivotal dates or formerly Absolute Dates thereupon biblical events and regnal data are employed in the construction of such sacred chronology.

The Society's chronology is only very loosely based on the bible, and is internally contradictory. Claiming a footnote from the King James version of the bible is hardly a reputable source on the Society's part, being - according to the 8 August 1995 Awake, " the Bible version that is purportedly full of errors." The Society twists both biblical events and secular sources to arrive at their conclusion. 'scholar' is yet to properly refute any point that I have raised against 607.

You are correct in saying that secular data is essential but the chronologist wisely ensures that any secular data use must not contradict biblical data for biblical data must have primacy over secular data. In other words, just like salt is used sparingly so secular data or chronology must be used sparingly and not at the expense of raw biblical data.

The wise chronologist also ensures that their interpretation of the biblical data is internally consistent, and does not foolishly assert that their speculative interpretations is not directly contradict by known factual information.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Frankly, it is dishonest of you to argue that the Judah lay desolate for fifty years when the Bible writers were most emphatic that it was seventy. Such reasoning proves that apostates and WT critics are desperate in tryng to disprove WT biblical chronology but their efforts such as the pathetic Jonsson nonsense are doomed to failure.

Frankly, it is dishonest for you to refer to Josephus or Berossus as primary texts relative to Ancient Near East chronology. As in, it is factually dishonest, not simply an opinion that your interpretation of the matter is disengenuous. Yet, you definitely have made that claim.

2. Celebrated WT scholars are quite happy to accept that scholarship endorses by means of cunieform tablets and other documents that EM' s reign was of two years but it also must be recognized that Berossus gives differing figures for the Neo-Babylonian period and so does Josephus. Josephus does provide primary evidence for Josephus and however you view Josephus does give conflicting data for the NB period.

I can only assume you meant, "[Berossus] does provide primary evidence for Josephus and however you view Josephus does give conflicting data for the NB period." I hope that is what you meant, because otherwise you believe an historian can provide primary evidence for him or herself. But, either way, you are misrepresenting both Berossus and Josephus as primary and secondary sources respectively. Josephus is at very best a secondary source of Berossus, while Berossus is at very best a secondary source of the primary sources he drew from.

You claim dishonesty on my part but offer no proof. Please note for everyone the Bible writers' emphatic claim that Judah would "lay desolate for seventy years." By my count, in the Bible, there are exactly two occurrences of the partial word "desolat*" in paragraph proximity to the word "seventy". One speaks of the desolation of Babylon after the end of the seventy years. Now, surely, if such a claim were emphatically made by the Bible writers you can find at least three instances...three times for emphasis, right? Here is the ONLY place a Bible writer mentions desolation in proximity to the word seventy as it pertains to Judah:

2 Chronicles 36:17-21
    17 So he brought up against them the king of the Chal·de'ans, who proceeded to kill their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, neither did he feel compassion for young man or virgin, old or decrepit. Everything He gave into his hand. 18 And all the utensils, great and small, of the house of the [true] God and the treasures of the house of Jehovah and the treasures of the king and of his princes, everything he brought to Babylon. 19 And he proceeded to burn the house of the [true] God and pull down the wall of Jerusalem; and all its dwelling towers they burned with fire and also all its desirable articles, so as to cause ruin. 20 Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign; 21 to fulfill Jehovah’s word by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had paid off its sabbaths. All the days of lying desolated it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

Now that we have the text to which you refer in front of us, please note the writer does not say the land would lay desolate seventy years. The writer says "the days of lying desolated" (however long those days might be) "it kept sabbath" and that the prupose of the days lying desolated was to "fulfill" (i.e. complete or finish) "seventy years." Even the singular text that uses the verbiage you have fixated on in paragraph context does not actually say what you want it to say. And you have no other writer to call upon, yet you claimed "Bible writers" emphatically support your viewpoint. Please note the plural form, then please note the other writers that support your statement and in which verses they do so.

So, not only are you factually dishonest about what secular ANE chronology presents, you are intellectually dishonest in your representation of what the Bible presents. I accuse you of dishonesty and I have proof. You accuse me of dishonesty without proof.

Come, come, scholar. Let us not play at a game only of your choosing. Prove yourself honorable and answer what you promised to answer. You have not, yet. Is your promise worth only as much as that of J.F. Rutherford or do you have some honor and integrity?

scholar: scholar deals with facts, history and chronology

Prove it.

scholar: You ask certain questions about the data and I am happy to deal with those points you have raised but can you explain the following:
    AuldSoul: I have responded directly to every one of your points.
    And still, you haven't offered any explanation of the gap of 12 years between the WTS timing of Nebuchadrezzar's final regnal year and the completely independent dating of Amasis' accession year, when there is unquestionable documentation that has Nebuchadrezzar fighting a campaign against Amasis of Egypt in Nebuchadrezzar's 37th year.
    And still, you haven't offered any reason for ignoring Uruk's dating of Evil-Marduk's reign.
    And still, you haven't mounted any assault against the Egibi banking family documents.
    And still, you haven't explained whether Adda-Guppi lived 104/106 years or 124/126 years. (This should be "102/104 years or 122/124 years")

Until you deal with those points I raised you stand as an oathbreaker and a liar, and I will regard you as a person without honor. Keep in mind that neither Berossus nor Josephus can be used as an authority superceding primary documents, although I wonder if you even see that there is no real distinction between your references to Berossus and your references to Josephus. You only have Josephus' perspective of Berossus to work from in developing your "concerns" while I have primary documents to work from in arriving at my certainty.

From primary documents, with a high degree of certainty I can rule out the following ranges of dates as possible timings for the destruction of Solomon's Temple:

• "In the beginning" - 588 BC
    • 585 BC - the present

I cannot, with certainty, rule out 587 BC or 586 BC. Since I cannot rule these two years out as possibilities, I must—in the interests of intellectual honesty—allow for the possibility of either year. Much the same as Sam's acquaintance had to allow for the possibility that the bug could be either a beetle or a nymph of some sort, while being completely certain it was not a 14-foot-long crocodile, I must allow for the possibility of either 587/6 BC while being completely certain that Solomon's Temple was NOT destroyed in 746 BC.

No matter WHO claims that the temple was destroyed in 746 BC or what kind of divine authority they purport to possess, the fact remains that Solomon's Temple was NOT destroyed in 746 BC. The same is true of 607 BC.

Will you remain an oathbreaker and a liar? Will you be content to remain without honor? Have you no shame? I truly hope you are a "black propagandist" because otherwise you actually believe you are ethically superior to me.

AuldSoul

• AlanF
    AlanF

Participants in this thread will note that, as usual, scholar pretendus completely ignores the proof that Josephus and Ezra together prove that the Jews returned to Judah in 538 B.C., which fact all by itself kills Watchtower chronology. I've provided references and the argument based on them; Jeffro even provided a graphical timeline showing the events.

[edited] AlanF

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Alan:Credit to you. You have incredible stamina to keep addressing the numpty after all this time! I think he's trying to beat FredHall's record for longevity!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Ezekiel 40:1 says no such thing, it simply gives the date of a prophetic utterance during the exile and even Josephus quite properly associated the land, the city and the temple with that fixed historical and prophetic period of seventy years. Once again as per usual you talk stupid.

Well you're the only one who seems to think so, and that doesn't count for much. Ezekiel explicitly states that the 25th year of the exile was the 14th year after Jerusalem's destruction. You are just a common liar.

Jeremiah 25:12 most certainly refers to the exile because the prophecy with its fulfillment would be of comfort to those exiles living in Babylon who would be released from Babylon in 537 BCE having witnessed its fall as judgement in 539 BCE. Celebrated WT scholars love facts and in company with all loyal Witness read God's Word daily so they all in concert love the facts and the prophecies in the Bible unlike apostates who prefer higher criticism.

You have consistently indicated a hatred of facts, and a complete inability to defend your position. You are not able to correctly indicate any flaws in the many counter arguments to your dogma. Your parrot the same non-specific and unbacked drivel by rote and cannot provide any legitimate rebuttal when specific points are raised. Instead, you ignore direct questions and fall back on ad hominem arguments and baseless repetitive claims. Your trite catchphrases are tiresome. Come back with something valid.

There were no inhabitants in Judah during the exile because the land was totally depopulated and devastated and this once again fulfilled the Law and prophecy and was the will of Jehovah. But the higher critic argues otherwise and tries desperatly to undermine the clear pronouncement of scripture for the ' land waswithout an inhabitant' according to Jeremiah. There was an earlier exile of the higher people some ten years prior to the major exile commensurate with the Fall of Jerusalem in 607 BCE. Your argument to the contrary only seeks to pervert biblical history.

Once again, you twist the scriptures, as Jeremiah does not at any point say that Jerusalem would be without an inhabitant for 70 years. You further distort the scriptures, ignoring the clear numbers at Jeremiah 52:28-30, which indicates that the major exile was 10 years prior to the fall of Jerusalem - in Nebuchadnezzar's 7th year, with minor exiles occurring in not only Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year but also his 23rd - further testifying to the fact that 587 did not see a complete exile of Jerusalem. Not only does this passage reveal your lies in that respect, but also gives testimony that elsewhere, Jeremiah counted Nebuchadnezzar's accession year as a regnal year, referring to the same events as being in Nebuchadnezzar's 8th and 19th years.

Your so-called superior chronology is simply a Jonsson borrowing and is pure bunkum because it misplaces the seventy years but if you believe it to be so good then send it to Jonsson or have it published in a leading journal. If the Society;s chronology is such a joke then it reflects poorly on the intellect of apostates because many of which once believed in such a chronology such as Jonsson and Franz so the joke is on them. Further, if the chronology is such a joke then why is it that apostates continually ruminate against it and try by desperate means to falsify it. It cannot be that bad because our chronology was very close to depiction of the Divided Monarchy and there is only a twenty year difference for the Neo Babylonian period. A difference of twenty years is small bikkies and can hardly be a joke. What chronology of the many hundreds developed within Christendom over the last centuries would you praise or commend? What dates do you give for Adam's creation or for the appearance of our Lord on earth, birth and death? Pray tell you high-minded one?

You have previously indicate that Jonsson says that Jerusalem may have fallen in 587/6. My chronology is therefore superior to his, as I have refined it to being definitely in 587. Your lies are once again evident. If Jonsson or anyone else wishes to correspond with me, I will leave that choice to them. Many Witnesses naively swallow whatever the Society feeds them, usually because they are 'discouraged' from reading any material that disagrees with the Society's dogma. It is the Society's intellectual dishonesty and fear of the Society's disapproval that shields your religion's members from the truth, and so yes it does reflect poorly on members who choose to stay in that respect. However it reflects ever so more poorly on those members who are shown the facts in black and white and still choose to ignore them. For those, such as yourself, it truly is an indictment, and indication that you are just as intellectually dishonest as those whose interpretations you accept. Your conjecture that 20 years makes little difference is plain misdirection. A difference of 20 years over a period of several hundred years may not be significant, but a 20-year gap in a period that spans just decades is indicative of a serious flaw, especially when there is extant contemporary evidence for the entirety of that period. Accuracy of the period of the Society's interpretation of the divided monarchy serves to contrast and magnify their wilful dishonesty in their approach to the Neo-Babylonian period. Try again 'scholar'. If I deem it worthwhile to investigate the other events you mention, that is my option, however as I have no special agenda, I have no need to distort those figures to reach predefined conclusions as is done by the Society, so it matters little.

Chronicles most emphatically sates in the very next verse, verse 22 in fact that in the first year of Cyrus that Jeremiah's word would be accomplished and so it was not at the apostate date of 539 but the hallowed date of 537 BCE.

The 'word that would be accomplished' in verse 22 was the return of the exiles (Jeremiah 29:14), not the end of the 70 years of nations serving Babylon, which Daniel indicated clearly at Daniel 5:26-31. Verse 20 is quite clear that the Jews were only slaves to Babylon "until the royalty of Persia began to reign". Of note, it says "servants to him [the king of the Chaldeans i.e. Nebuchadnezzar] and his sons", explicitly indicating the lineage of Neo-Babylonian rulers and not some arbitrary foreign king who ruled at Babylon thereafter. Beyond this evidence though, 537 is not compatible with Ezra and the facts known of Cyrus.

There is no confusion over the Hebrew words for these are common terms and Jeremiah by means of metaphors and poetic imagery defined these terms specifically. It is not the astronomical data that creates the twenty years but is the interpretation of the regnal data contained with the astronomical data that causes confusion and the omission of the historic seventy year period that creates an authentic twenty year gap.

I am aware that you feel the need to convince yourself that the plain reading of the verse is not what is intended, and I realise that you will hold to that belief, but all readers here can see you to be wrong. A small amount of data could be misinterpreted, but there is far too much contemporary data available for it all to be misinterpreted in the same way at the same convenient point, without similar misinterpretations being present for all other points of the period in question. You are grasping at straws.

Remember the Bible nowhere has a reference ot a fifty year desolation, exile or servitude, such fifty years is simply the invention of the higher critic and the apostate.

Nor does the bible speak of an exile of 70 years, during which Jerusalem would be "without an inhabitant".

You really need to learn the real definition of the word 'apostate'. Some of your congregation fair-weather friends, having left other religions to become JWs, are apostates themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit