539 BCE

by Zico 142 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

And while the honorable Don Furuli tilts at windmills, his loyal companion Scholar Panza walks dismally by his side trying hard to convince himself that windmills are giants and that his eccentric Lord is not just a delightful lunatic.

Interestingly when Don Quixote charged his windmills and was unseated from his horse in the process, as Furuli was in his latest publication, he claimed that his enemies had actually turned the giants into windmills to rob him of his moment of glory. I see a similar pattern of self-delusion in the posts of our celebrated Scholar Panza, who despite all the evidence of the flaws in the Brooklyn Chronology that have been repeatedly and thoroughly bought to his notice over the years, continues to parrrot the very same historical errors.

Still, his loyalty to the WTS has to be admired in a Japanese foxhole sort of way, and his instant defence of his team of mysterious 'celebrated scholars' is at least predictable. As Cervantes might have put it, 'Scholar Panza hastened to his masters assistance as fast as his ass could go'.

HS

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Marjorie ((((((((((())))))))))),

I meant to ask you before, can you tell me what the word "shonky" means?

Shonky: Australia,/New Zealand informal > adjective (shonkier, shonkiest) dishonest, unreliable, or illegal. > noun (also shonk) a person engaged in suspect business activities.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

Scholar:

celebrated WT scholars

Do you consider Raymond Franz to have been one of the above?

Ian

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

To further Hillary_step's comparison between the Celebrated Scholars and their trailing squire:

From Chapter 20 of Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes:

Don Quixote, Sancho Panza, and the Ghosts

About this time, whether it was owing to the coolness of the morning that approached, or to his having supped upon something that was laxative; or, which is more probable, to the operation of nature --- Sancho was seized with an inclination and desire of doing that which could not be performed by proxy. But such was the terror that had taken possession of his soul that he durst not move the breadth of a nail-paring from his master's side. At the same time, it was as impossible for him to resist the motion of his bowels. And, therefore, to compromise the matter, he flipp'd his right hand from the hinder part of the saddle, and without any noise, softly undid the slip knot by which his breeches were kept up, upon which they of themselves fell down to his heels, where they remained like a pair of shackles. He then gathered up his shirt behind as well as he could, and exposed his posteriors --- which were none of the smallest --- to the open air.

This being done, and he imagined it was the chief step he could take to deliver himself from the pressing occasion and dilemma in which he was --- another difficulty, still greater, occurred; namely, that he should not be able to disencumber himself without noise. He therefore began to fix his teeth close, shrug up his shoulders, and hold in his breath with all his might. But --- notwithstanding these precautions --- he was so unlucky in the issue as to produce a rumbling sound very different from that which had terrified him so much. It did not escape the ears of Don Quixote who immediately cried, "What noise is that, Sancho?"

"I know not, sir," said the squire. "It must be some new affair, for adventures and misventures never begin with trifles." He tried his fortune a second time, and, without any more noise or disorder, freed himself from the load which had given him so much uneasiness. But, as Don Quixote's sense of smell was altogether as acute as that of his hearing, and Sancho stood so close to him, the vapours ascended towards him, almost in a direct line, and he could not exclude some of them from paying a visit to his nose.

No sooner was he sensible of the first salutation, than in his own defense he pressed his nose between his finger and thumb, and, in a snuffling tone, pronounced, "Sancho, thou seemest to be in great fear."

"I am so," answered the squire, "but, how comes your worship to perceive my fears now, more than ever?"

"Because, at present, thou smellest more than ever --- and that not of amber," replied the knight.

"That may be," said Sancho, "but I am not so much to blame as your worship, who drags me at such unseasonable hours into these uninhabited places."

"Retire three or four steps farther off, friend," resumed Don Quixote, stopping his nose all the time, "and henceforth take more heed of thy own person, and remember what thou owest to mine. For I find the frequent conversation I maintain with thee hath engendered this disrespect."

"I'll lay a wager," replied Sancho, "that your worship thinks I have been doing something I ought not to have done."

"The more you stir it, friend Sancho," said the knight, "the more it will stink."

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

So very true dilaceratus. Very funny too.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

The reason why celebrated sectarian WT scholars writers prefer the Persian chronology over the Neo-Babylonian chronology invent their own chronology is because the pagan Babylonians people who lived in Neo-Babylonian times ignore were altogether ignorant of the biblical 'seventy years' a period of 'seventy years' between the fall of Jerusalem and the end of the Jewish exile which creates a twenty year gap between biblical chronology and secular chronology leads WT writers to insert an extra twenty years into the period.

Also, Neo-Babylonian chronology records of chronological importance left by Neo-Babylonians has poor history omitting significant biblical events naturally knew Neo-Babylonian history far better than events pertaining to a foreign people and the regnal data for some of the Babylonian monarchs is unreliable and the regnal chronology of the Neo-Babylonian period is especially well attested and confirmed by multiple sources.

Finally, as I have repeatedly informed you failed to note with respect to the WT that chronology is dependent upon methodology and interpretation, so it is that the 'ceelbrated' the WT as well have simply chosen has adopted as well a different a flawed methodology from other scholars that inadequately accounts for a majority of the evidence. The same 'celebrated' writers have expained the fact of even place the Return in 537 BCE which is not explained to the same degree by other wordly scholars who simply fuse the Decree of Cyrus and the Return in c. 538 BCE in spite of the evidence from the Chronicler and the Cyrus Cylinder. Such scholars WT writers have no interest in assert 537 BCE as the precise time of the Return of the Exiles because it is the only date that will still produce 1914 even tho this date was originally calculated from 536 BCE, the date originally thought to be the first year of Cyrus when the Decree was made.

scholar JW pseudo-scholar JW apologist

Dear Leolaia,

WOW!!! What a great way to help others see through all this BS!! The facts are plainly there for anyone who sincerely is a lover of "TRUTH"! He needs to take off his "rose colored glasses" after he steps down from his "high horse", and maybe then his heart will humbly motivate him to see the truth!

Sincerely,

L.L.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Excellent series of posts, Alleymom. I hadn't heard about that recent paper...which nicely confirms the length of the reign of Evil-Merodach.

It is beyond silly to think that people who lived in the period themselves didn't know their own chronology or were unreliable simply because they were "pagan". It's like someone from the year AD 4591 claiming that us silly Americans are too stupid to think that 9/11 happened in 2001 when it really occurred in 1981 (particularly since we are not worshippers of his true god Zugnorf, so you can't trust all of our many records that date 9/11 to year "2001").

• toreador
    toreador

Whered ya go Scholar?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Dear person who goes by the alias Scholar,

Here, I will make this easier to read...

What are the names of the celebrated Watchtower Scholars and what scholastic papers did they publish? I am a college student and maybe their work could come in handy some day.

• toreador
    toreador

What are the names of the celebrated Watchtower Scholars and what scholastic papers did they publish? ; I am a college student and maybe their work could come in handy some day.

Good luck getting that answered. They are invisible just like the return of Jesus but you can tell just by looking at world events and see that Jesus is ruling. Cant you?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit