539 BCE

by Zico 142 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus here seems to think that readers of this forum are as morally stupid as most JWs. My disproof, using Josephus, of the Society's 537 date is a good illustration of this. The proof is extremely simple and can be illustrated with an analogy of the sort found in basic intelligence tests:

(1) John says he bought a Honda in February, 2005.

(2) George says he bought a Toyota in September of the year before John bought his Honda.

Question: In what year did George buy his Toyota?

The answer is trivally obvious: 2004. Most any six-year-old that is not mentally challenged can figure it out. However, if an adult whose entire life hinged on believing that George bought his Toyota in 2005 were given this question, he would probably do everything he could to avoid answering it.

This is precisely the reason that scholar pretendus refuses to acknowledge that Josephus' information disproves the Society's claim that the Jews returned to Judah in 537 B.C.

Now, it might be argued that Josephus' claim is wrong, i.e., that the Temple foundations were not laid in Cyrus' 2nd year. Indeed, I am not aware of any independent confirmation of his statement. But if scholar pretendus were to make this argument, it would follow that he acknowledges that Josephus' claims that are not backed up by independent information are sometimes unreliable. But because he has often argued that some of Josephus' claims -- in particular those that seem to support Watchtower chronology -- must be taken as gospel, it would follow that this argument is specious, and therefore the Watchtower could not use anything Josephus said to establish any date unless it were backed up with independent data.

Thus we see the sort of feral intelligence at work that results in the massive Orwellian doublethink practiced by JWs, the same doublethink that can be called moral stupidity -- an outright refusal to acknowledge simple facts when such facts are inimical to one's beliefs.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepost

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepost

That is fine to meet up at Moores but you have not answered my question: Have you been disfellowshipped from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses?

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

I am fully aware of textual criticism and I appreciate what tou are trying to argue but the simple fact is that my edition of Josephus by Whiston has the numbers as they are and not what you would wish them to be. Granted I have not bothered to read other editions of Josephus such as the Loeb Library series but that time will come. Also, there is a commentary on Josephus in the process of publication with the first two volumes published by E.J.Brill.

The fact of the matter is that Josephus in English has the data as I have presented, the numbers are contradictory therefore the evidence is mixed and uncertain and of course disagrees with the Bible history. So whether Josephus is right or wrong it does not matter for the Bible is our basis.

All the so-called cumulative evidence as currently understood and interpreted goes against the Bible but that is just a ploy of the Devil who seeks to mislead people by being blinded to the truth of Christ's presence. The fact is that the biblical seventy years stands alone and that historic period is absolutely vital for any chronology.

It is scholar and scholar alone who first originated by means of this board the relationship between methodology and interpretation and soon after Robert Young followed suit with his reappraisal of Thiel's chronology. Scholar was first past the post and he is a winner.

Jeffro will only read that article if you send it to him but I would then be surprised if he actually 'reads it' as he limits his reading experience.

scholar JW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ozzie,

That is fine to meet up at Moores but you have not answered my question: Have you been disfellowshipped from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses?

My advice is to tell Scholar that you have not been disfellowshipped, but that you are a child molester undergoing congregational restrictions. This should appease the morally chaotic jumble that passes as his brain, and may even lead to a free expresso.

Good luck!

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    It is scholar and scholar alone who first originated by means of this board the relationship between methodology and interpretation and soon after Robert Young followed suit with his reappraisal of Thiel's chronology. Scholar was first past the post and he is a winner.

Time for the headlines ( strange how we always end up here ) - 'Knocked out boxer claims victory'

HS

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

scholar,

If so, haven't you been having dealing with him regarding spiritual matters anyway? I assure you, no JW congregation's body of elders would view your activity on this forum any differently than they would a face-to-face sitdown, just in case that is what concerned you.

AuldSoul

• toreador
    toreador

You will have to let us know how the meetup goes Scholar. Maybe I can come too. I havent been DFed.

Tor

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Good morning scholar!

Frankly I don't know for sure. I do know that "they" sent one of their Bethel faves to my house and seemed to delight in our new-found conversion to Christianity although I didn't understand why he should be so sarcastic and mocking of us (Mrs Ozzie and I) during the time he was with us.

Why do you reckon JWs can only resorrt to mocking when things aren't going their way?

Anyway, the last words I have ever had from "God's loving Organisation" were these as he left our home: "And don't forget, we have your children!".

I never heard any more.

Anyway, were you going to let us know your congregation so's I coulkd invite your elders to share our discussion? I'm sure they'd like to share in a "Bible discussion™".

Cheers, Ozzie

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Still waiting to learn the names of the "Celebrated Watchtower Scholars." Who are these mystery men? When I think of somebody who is celebrated, I think of award winning research or some sort of notable contribution to mankind. In order for somebody to be celebrated wouldn't we know their names?

From dictionary.com

celebrated

adj 1: widely known and esteemed; "a famous actor"; "a celebrated musician"; "a famed scientist"; "an illustrious judge"; "a notable historian"; "a renowned painter" [syn: famed, far-famed, famous, illustrious, notable, noted, renowned] 2: having an illustrious past [syn: historied, storied]

What are the names of these "Celebrated Watchtower Scholars."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit