District Overseer put out to pasture with no $$$ - sad

by Dogpatch 167 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    And what about the former district overseer? Will he have to do more than say he's sorry before he's forgiven? Instead of fending for himself to make a decent living, will he now have to spend his old age raising money for various charities in order for us to feel compassion for him? Will he always be just a plain old evil man because he made an unwise choice as a child when he knew no better? I'm saddened by the feeling that some will say yes, according to some of the above entries.

... I don't get it. He's still a witness isn't he? And an elder? He made choices right through his life and is still doing so as a mature adult; if he's ever going to know better, now is the time. Well I do feel sorry for him, but I'd feel more sorry if he could heal the lives he'd disturbed.

Thanks Lisa, for being here. Thanks also to whoever it was who pointed out that it was me who gave the elders the authority they had over me that time I went to them hoping for compassion and mercy and got just three guys on a power trip; yes I'm an adult and should have taken charge of my own life. I guess I had to go through that, to learn what I have about the JW rules; these guys might have all the compassion and mercy in the world but also have hard and soft rules. I pity all elders, I'm sure that most of them start the gig thinking they can save the world, but come up against the corruption. If my family was being held to ransom, I might feel compelled to keep playing the game too. It isn't, however, Nazi Germany - they wouldn't be up against a wall if they rebelled and left, if they came good on their compassion and just walked away. And yet most of them don't, so they get my pity, but I'm not sorry that they face what I can pretend is a kind of natural justice.

It doesn't matter really, I'm out now, whatever the means. I don't think anybody on this thread literally wishes harm upon this man, and I've never perceived anybody on this site who wishes general harm upon JWs. I've certainly felt at times that I wish I could hurt eg my family and old friends for all the hurt they've caused me, but in reality if the opportunity arose, I know it wouldn't get me anywhere, so I'm just trying to walk away from it all and leave it behind. The only price I'm paying is a lot of people's conditional love which I don't want anyway.

Okay I had a point earlier and I've lost it, ah bugger it. 'If it saves just one person' - if one JW notices that this highly respected WBTS representative was put out to pasture without a gold watch, and decides to take that job/scholarship/promotion... in lieu of further enslaving themselves, well, that's a good result, right?

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

How about putting sentimentalism aside and consider that he was a authority figure of a Satanic system of cruelty and no doubt had his chance at ignoring the pleas of molested witness kids and adults just the same as the others! And searing his conscience to overcome doing what is Christian and doing the bidding of a bunch of ignorant cruel indecent Governing Body members.

And what about the immorality of expecting others to provide a home and medical care till his finish?.Did he really think it's OK to pay no taxes and then put the hand out if the GB finishes him?

And what about the Org expecting the Government to pay for Watchtower retirees after they contribute nothing because of their tax exempt status?

Steve

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi tough time and Welcome! We look forward to hearing more from you.

• LDH
    LDH

wow a three-year lurker!!!!

Welcome tough!

Thanks Lisa, for being here.

Sass, my pleasure, I can't understand if I was lumped in the 'hateful' group or not, LOL, but I know how i feel.

My 16 year old said give him two weeks to realize what's happened, and then if he doesn't write a tell-all book to make money for retirement, he gets what he deserves. A gal after my own heart, LOL.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

James 3:1

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Tough Time - those experiences rambled around in my head so thanks for writing them down. That's how I recall him except he was pretty decent earlier on and seemed to get a tad miserable as time went by.

Willyman - thanks - in a nutshell.

I guess it might help a lot of us to delve into the mysteries of brain washing and mind control aka cult bonds. That might go a long way to explain why some people aren't making choices for their behaviour but rather are incapable of making choices as long as they belong to the cult which is circular since if they can't break the control they can't get out. Arriving at adulthood doesn't somehow make a person all wise and knowing - sometimes it takes many years or a lifetime for people to understand life and their own actions in particular. sammieswife.

• Alana
    Alana

Oh yes, I remember Bro. Emshoff. He was our CO in central IL.....I don't remember when, but it was probably about 20+ years ago. He was definitely single and I didn't think he held a high impression of women. Some of the first posts from people who knew him talked about him being so kind and likeable. He must have been jaded by the time he got to us, because while he wasn't really rude, he wasn't personable. He liked the good life & good things and had his expensive watches and pinky rings, and the brothers who would treat him to these things. He usually stayed at our house when he was at our congregation and my dad, who always kissed CO a$$, would buy him his favorite Regal Chivas and he liked to be taken out to nice places to eat.....usually in the city. However, since our circuit was in the middle of corn land, he made it clear once that he didn't really like this assignment and preferred the big city life. He liked to spend time in Chicago. I mentioned something once about being on Rush Street and he knew what that was like. I freaked out thinking that he was going to get together a meeting to discuss my 'wild ways' or something, but he was cool in that he said to me later that he liked it there, too, and that he'd never tell if I got too wild up there or something to that affect. So, someone said he ought to find a rich sister, well, if his tastes are still the same, he'll need a rich one. :-) Anyway, my impression of him was that he expected the best and demanded it from others. He didn't like the backward rural circuit and treated us like we weren't up to his level, unless of course, one had the money and means to make his life more enjoyable.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    I personally think some of you might want to reconsider such a position. Knowing that we all need mercy, Jesus said that "with the same judgment we judge others, we will be judged."

This is actually a funny line. You are inferring that we will be judged by god for judging you when you admit to harming an innocent young man and possibly wrecking a family when you knew it was wrong! When did any publisher do that?

You are simply being called to judgement for your advanced role in the destruction of families by a group of your peers. You reaction is to cry 'foul'.

Sorry, man. You made your bed, don't expect those of us who bore the brunt of your decisions and lost our families forever to feel the least bit sorry for you...

J

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    I guess it might help a lot of us to delve into the mysteries of brain washing and mind control aka cult bonds. That might go a long way to explain why some people aren't making choices for their behaviour but rather are incapable of making choices as long as they belong to the cult which is circular since if they can't break the control they can't get out. Arriving at adulthood doesn't somehow make a person all wise and knowing - sometimes it takes many years or a lifetime for people to understand life and their own actions in particular. sammieswife.

... no, it's choice. What else is the difference between he who stayed and we who left? We chose to research, and then think outside the square, and then act on it. We were all in the same cult and faced the same fears of the consequences of the same choices. I can't believe he's never had a doubt; he probably did just as constantly as we all did, but he never acted on it. And so here he is, unemployable, unskilled, and broke. A consequence of every choice he's ever made. We all build our own future.

Lisa, doesn't your daughter get cooler every day?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Knowing that we all need mercy, Jesus said that "with the same judgment we judge others, we will be judged."

Obviously, this is happening to the guy, as he judged, he is being judged. So, what is the problem? If he comes to his senses, and apostatises, he will recieve mercy from xjw's.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit