What is your town or area's claim to fame?

by free2beme 92 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

Don't know kwin. Are you goin' to tell us?

Juni

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I followed this thread from another. Now I have a question for MsMcducket. Was Dwight Eisenhower born in Kansas or Texas. I saw it wriiten as both on your thread. I was thinking Denison Texas.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I live in Vancouver, Washington on the northern shore of the Columbia River. The River is the border between Washington & Oregon and Portland is about 2 miles from my house.

The Hudson Bay Trading Company was founded here.

We also have the largest July 4th fireworks display west of the Mississippi.

On a clear day (which is rare) you can see both Mt. St. Helens & Mt. Hood from my house.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

We live in the Snack Capital of the World, it was on the History Channel, I also live about 15 minutes away from Gettysburg Battlefield. Ever hear of Syders Pretzels, Utz Patoto Chips? I smell them cooking all the time.

abr

• ninja
    ninja

we have yet to find something created that we can't deep fry

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I am from the Long Beach Peninsula in WA state. This is where Lewis and Clark ended up on their expedition. It's a BIG deal around here.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I grew up beside the old Carlsbad Spings hotel named after the Carlsbad Caverns in new Mexico, famous for there mineral waters. The hotel was first built in the 1850's and became a sanitorium years later. The name of the original village was Cathartic and the first prime minister of Canada, Sir John A. Mac Donald used to frequent this establishmnet. It was so popular in fact, that they built a railway, just to acesss this and the Jews used to drink and bathe in the waters from all over Ottawa. The farmhouse I grew up in has door nobs 160 years old so I suspect lots of famous folk were in our home long ago.

• Schism
    Schism

For such a small, ugly part of the country, my town and surrounding parishes have been famous for quite a few things.

My town is famous for Tobasco Sauce. I live off of Avery Island Rd, which I think is on the bottle. The sauce is gross, and most of us here don't even like it. And Konrico (spell check) rice is also famous (why? I have no clue).

Our last 2 governors were born here.

Some of the antebellum homes here have been used for movies. We have the "Shadows on the Teche" (massive plantation home), and another one that I can't remember which is famous for its gardens. I don't know if any of the others are famous for anything.

My husband's town is barely a town at all, only one gas station, 30 minutes away, and has been the set of MANY big movies.

The town between mine and my husband's is where Teddy Roosevelt coined the term "teddy bear", on a hunting trip.

Jack Nicolson rode a motorcycle down Main St. in a movie scene, forgot the name.

We caught the eye of hurricane Andrew, Rita, and another one that I can't remember. Our town was mentioned on national news because of these storms, lmao.

In a parish, not too far from here, where my parents go for hunting, there is the famous Myrtle Plantation, which is supposed to be the single most haunted plantation in the US. I've been in it, nothing happened. We were totally ripped off!

I guess people think the moss on the trees is beautiful, so they like it in movies. Moss is just a nice word for FUNGUS. I need to move to a clean place.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

calgary: oil & cattle

tetra

• poppers
    poppers

"Jack Nicolson rode a motorcycle down Main St. in a movie scene, forgot the name." Was it Easy Rider (filmed in about 1969)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit