What is your town or area's claim to fame?

by free2beme 92 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

World's Largest Trivia Contest!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What is your town or area's claim to fame?

ME!

Not good enough, eh?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've lived in four large cities

Toronto

• Canada's largest and fastest growing city

Montreal

• The largest North American city with a Eurpoean flair
    • Most cosmopolitan city in North America

Winnipeg

• Mosquito capital of Canada
    • Canada's coldest city
    • Canada's windiest city
    • Greatest # of volunteers

Ottawa

• Canada's Capital
    • Largest Tulip Festival in Canada
    • Greatest # of volunteers
  • happy1975
    happy1975

Springfield, MA

Home of Dr. Suess, the children's book writer.

Home of Basketball.

-Happy

• james_woods
    james_woods

Lee Harvey Oswald -

and the Cowboys never got a fair call from the NFL after that happened.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Dick and Jerry Van Dyke grew up just outside of here. And Jerry bought the old movie theatre and turned it into a performance theatre.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

How is good old Toronto these days?

• Swan
    Swan

AC Gilbert, the Man Who Saved Christmas, was born here in Salem, OR in 1884.

He later went on to become a magician in order to support his way through Yale Medical School. He became a doctor.

He founded a company, Mysto Manufacturing, which sold magic kits for kids.

He was a gold medalist in the pole vault in 1908.

His most famous invention of all was the erector set, one of the most popular educational toys of all time and a precursor to Legos.

During World War I when the government considered a ban on toy production, Gilbert argued successfully against it and the press gave him the nickname "The man who saved Christmas."

There is a children's museum in Salem today that bears his name.

Frank Herbert graduated high school in Salem in 1939. During a later trip to the Oregon coast in the late 1950s, he studied a governmental ecological project designed to halt the spread of sand dunes on the Oregon coastline. From this inspiration he created the Sci-Fi classic Dune in 1965.

July 12 is called Rainmaker's Day and was once celebrated with parades back in the 1960s. Rufus the Rainbeetle was our mascot. There had never been a measurable amount of rainfall on July 12 from when they first started recording the weather back in 1892 until yesterday. It was the first measurable rainfall on July 12 in 114 years. We had .06 of an inch.

Tammy

• damselfly
    damselfly

Highest tides in the world.

Dams

• daystar
    daystar

Mike Judge, creator of "Beavis & Butthead" and "King of the Hill" used to live in the town I grew up in. It's thought that the town that Hank Hill and his family live in, Arlen, is based upon that town, Garland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit