What is your town or area's claim to fame?

by free2beme 92 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    They found the Neanderthal-skeleton near where I live.

I wouldn't brag too much about that; people might start to ask questions about your family history! LOL

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

If I was from Australia I would not brag either. *lol*

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    If I was from Australia I would not brag either. *lol*

Who said Germans had no sense of humour?

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Paphos is fairly ancient (3000 years or so, and the latest excavations are looking at buildings about 5000 years before that). Was a port harbour since pre-Roman times (now leisure and fishing).

Whole town is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Mentioned in Acts 13 (Paul & Barnabas - the latter was a Cypriot).

http://www.gmbds.com/paphos.htm

Now a major tourist resort suffering from over-development (this started after the 1974 war/invasion). Has a substantial British (and other european) ex-pat population.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Robert Zimmerman was born in Duluth and lived in a house 3 blocks from mine until his family moved to Hibbing. After graduating, he left Hibbing, changed his name to Bob Dylan, and the rest is history.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Barre = granite capital of the world

cab

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

The Grand Canyon is the biggest attraction in the State I live in

• Jourles
    Jourles

In my town it has to be Michigan State University. To the north is the Cherry Capitol of the USA. For the entire state, it is birthplace of the automotive industry.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

Tucson, Arizona is:

One of the oldest continuously-inhabited areas in North America. Evidence of human occupation here 12,000 years ago.

The name 'Tucson' derives from the Papago Indian 'Stjukshon,' roughly translated as 'spring at the foot of the black mountain.'

Nearby Mission San Xavier del Bac, northernmost of several Spanish-style churches established by Jesuit Father Eusebio Kino, was founded in 1700. Nicknamed 'White Dove Of The Desert' & still serving the surrounding Papago (Tohono O'odham) Indian community.

Tucson is nicknamed the 'Old Pueblo' after the walled Presidio built in 1775 to protect residents from marauding Apaches.

Became part of the United States with the Gadsden Purchase of 1853. Served as the capital of the Arizona Territory from 1867 - 1877. Southern Pacific railroad arrived, 1880.

Home of spring training for the Colorado Rockies & Chicago White Sox, as well as numerous men's & women's golf tournaments. Arizona Historical Society; Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (called one of the world's ten best 'living zoos'); Arizona Theatre Company; Tucson Symphony Orchestra; annual El Tour de Tucson bicycle race; Flandrau Science Center, Pima Air & Space Museum; studio & gallery of the late Southwestern artist Ted deGrazia; Titan Missile Museum; Tucson Museum of Art. This ethnically & spiritually diverse community (thank goodness!!!) includes a large Jewish population, represented by the state-of-the-art Jewish Community Center (great fitness center & coffeehouse there..). February brings the world-famous Tucson Gem & Mineral Show (when almost every hotel room in town is snatched up within weeks..) as well as the Fiesta de Los Vaqueros, which features one of the world's longest non-mechanized parades. Nearby Old Tucson was once the location for a number of famous Westerns which included John Wayne, among others..

Some attractions in the surrounding area include Biosphere 2 (the failed experiment that made world headlines in the mid-90's); Colossal Cave (one of the world's deepest dry caverns); Casa Grande Ruins National Monument (built by Hohokam Indians in the 1300's); increasingly famous Kartchner Caverns; world-renowned telescope atop Kitt Peak National Observatory; & the historic town of Tombstone (nicknamed the 'Town Too Tough To Die' & scene of the famous gunfight at the OK Corral);

Just in case I left anything out, the Wikipedia article on my hometown is comprehensive & (I think) right on about almost everything..

Today's forecast: 108 degrees (I think around 43 Celsius).

In spite of the traffic, smog, & growing crime rate (& in spite of all the places in the world I would like to visit one day), I think I will always consider Tucson my home..

DR

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

Fire hydrant capital of the world.

We have a silver coated fire hydrant monument in the center of downtown, it was the 1,000,000th hydrant produced at the fire hydrant foundry located here. They are shipped all over the world. I have seen fire hydrants manufactured here on the streets of Manhattan (during a visit to Bethel, arrgh), Dallas, etc.

A town about 15 miles away is the sock capital of the world, Fort Payne, Alabama, including a sock museum. For more than a hundred years, up until about five years ago, more socks were produced here in the textile mills than anywhere else in the world. NAFTA and China have all but killed the textile industry there, but other industries have taken up the slack. Fort Payne is also the home town of the country music group "Alabama", also with a museum.

Sadly, this general area which incorporates several towns, known as Sand Mountain, has also been infamous as a KKK and segregation stronghold. Even after the civil rights movement of the sixties, it was well known all over the country as a place a black man did not want to be after sundown. Even up until the mid to late 80's, the KKK would hold public fundraising drives where they would stand at the highway intersections with buckets, in full KKK dress including hoods, and solicit donations from drivers. Thankfully, the nasty bigoted old-timers have gradually died off and the area has improved significantly.

Well, that's about it...

Brandon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit