What is your town or area's claim to fame?

by free2beme 92 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Every where you live, the local area has something about it that is either famous for something good or something bad. As an example, you go to one town and it may have the historial site of a famous war battle. You go to another an it might be the place something was invented, or the birthplace of someone famous. You might also be the location of a national park, major well known corporate headquarters that people would be shocked to see in a small town. You may live a block from the place someone famous is buried. What ever it is, what is it about where you live that is the claim to fame, that might make someone want to come and see it.

Where I live, people know this area for ...

Crater Lake National Park

Corporate headquarters for : Harry and David, and Lithia Motors

We have a mountain called : Mount McLoughlin - that people travel to see each spring, as it has a angel that appears on the side when the snow melts (The snow melting, causes it to look like an angel walking, with wings and everything. Visible for weeks, and very easy to see from miles and miles away.)

The Rogue River is here - One of the best known Salmon fishing locations in the world (people travel here to fish from all around the world)

Just a few, anything about where you live that would make me want to visit?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Lewis Carroll, who wrote the Alice in Wonderland books, was born a couple of miles from my village. His father was the curate at the local parish church in Daresbury. There are commemorative stained glass windows depicting Lewis Carroll and characters from Wonderland in the church.

• hamilton_russell
    hamilton_russell

Well, i'm from Oxford and i guess its famous for its Colleges and the University.

Funnily enough Fe2O3Girl, my great grandfather (or something like that!) used to own a little shop located opposite Christ Church College, and apparently Carroll wrote about it in his stories.

HR

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Lobster, potatoes, blueberries, Acadia National Park and one confused JW

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I live in the smallest village in Ohio. We have this.........http://www.angelfire.com/ia2/mounds/enon.html another page....http://www.springfield-clarkcountyohio.info/knob_prairie_mound.htm

Some locals claim that these are Giant Indian Burial Grounds. Some say it was a look out point for the battle of Piqua.

alt

This picture was taken during a drive by shooting....um...picture shooting..

lisa

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Lisa, don't the Simpsons come from Springfield?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Lisa, don't the Simpsons come from Springfield?

Why yes they do... my neighbors....alt lol lisa

• free2beme
    free2beme

There are several Springfield in the USA, in fact there is on in Oregon next to Eugene. However, the Simpson's make it a game to never say what state they are in. Sometimes there on the ocean, sometimes there next to Forrest and a mountain range. On a couple of occasions they were next to a river, and one time they moved the town because Homer allowed the town to be used as a dump to raise money for the Garbage collectors to do everything for the people. Oh, on one occasion they were next to what looked like Arizona. Anyway, they do live in Springfield, just down from Shelbyville.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Springfield

• greendawn
    greendawn

In Finchley London there is the mid victorian mansion of Henry Inky Stephens the son of the man who invented the blue black ink. He died in 1918 donating the mansion to the people of Finchley and there is now an ink museum in it displaying the experiments he was making with writing fluids in the laboratory he had set up there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit