Disgusting comment regarding the baptism at the DC

by under_believer 68 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ugh. It is disgusting.

I always go back to the ol'

Would ya let a 13 year old get married? Uhm NO! So why the heck would ya let a 13 year old get baptized?

I know when I was still in, I told my husband right off that no way were my kids getting baptized before they were 18 and could make a good conscious decision about it. Too serious of a decision.

When I was at the hall there was a young boy under 10 who was baptized. He could barely do a full presentation at the door and he got baptized. Everyone was so proud of him.

BSoM

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I agree with Robdar. I mean I wouldn't wish anyone to be involved in this religion. Well-informed, yes, but not actively involved.

There are so many cruel mechanisms designed to punish deserters. Some of those freshly baptized bros and sisters would have to pay a heavy price to get out. If only there was more that we can do....

INQ

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

When I first came in in 84 the Society was telling people NOT to have KIDS "in this time of the end" and they were encouraging the sheep to pioneer and NOT go to college. The result is that they have less converts, stupid sheep with no good paying jobs and no money coming into the organization. So then the preaching work is starting to produce next to NO converts in the field and they are having to depend on the JW offspring to keep the numbers up at all. And the offspring once they are indoctrinated and TRAPPED are less likely to leave because they would lose their families.

Its that Hotel California thing again. You can check out but you cant leave.

Shame on them all!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"When I first came in in 84 the Society was telling people NOT to have KIDS "in this time of the end" and they were encouraging the sheep to pioneer and NOT go to college. The result is that they have less converts, stupid sheep with no good paying jobs and no money coming into the organization. So then the preaching work is starting to produce next to NO converts in the field and they are having to depend on the JW offspring to keep the numbers up at all. And the offspring once they are indoctrinated and TRAPPED are less likely to leave because they would lose their families."

--LovesDubs

They were saying that in the forties, too. I've seen plenty of life stories about pioneer couples who count "all the people we've brought into the truth as spiritual children." I wonder if, secretly, they weep for being counciled not to have kids because "the end was so near?" Yet now they are in their 60s and 70s. I wonder how many people have wept for what could've been.

• undercover
    undercover

Why is it when a dub at the ripe old age of 18 or 19 announces that he/she is getting married all the older ones (35+) express concern such as, "they're too young" or "they're not mature enough to handle it" or "they don't know what they're getting into"

but...

When a dubling (very young dub, 12 or 13) makes the "most important decision of their life" of committing to a lifelong contract of servitude to "god's spirit-directed organization" everyone jumps for joy and thinks it's wonderful how "mature" and "spiritual" this child is

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I wonder if the "brothers" have a harder time with this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think so, especially if you are marked as a future MS / elder. I never felt the pressure to get baptized, but did at 16 -- since I wanted to "rise in the org". That was my primary motivation -- I kid you not. To get promoted, you had to earn your strips as a publisher first.

I was recommended for MS at 18, despite being a freshman in college.

Looking back, I am so thankful the CO over-ruled them... three times. After that, I found a litle site called H20 (this was 1997...)

• Soledad
    Soledad

I'm sorry to go off topic a little but LovesDubs that avatar of yours has me in hysterics!! ROFLMAO!! What the hell happened to kitty? Oh and about baptism: I don't believe I was coerced so much. I was baptized just a couple of days from my 13th birthday. I had expressed interest on my own in getting baptized the year before that, and my cousin actually tried to talk me out of it. Of course once I mentioned it to my mother there was no turning back. So maybe it was a semi-coersion? I don't know. I just really didn't understand what it all meant. I guess it was just something I had to do and that was that.

• Romano
    Romano

I was baptised at 13! My dad was the PO and he was embarrassed that I waited that long!...If I knew then what I know now...

I had this elder come to my house year ago and said that I knew what I was doing. He brought his daughter with him and I pointed to her and said so i guess she can drive...He left.

• Romano
    Romano

I left out that she was 13 and baptisted..Sick...

• caligirl
    caligirl

A child raised in the sheltered way of life as a witness is likely incapable of making any kind of life time commitmentor mature decision before the age of 25, in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit