Disgusting comment regarding the baptism at the DC

by under_believer 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

If there is a trend of allowing younger Witnesses to get baptized, I believe such a policy will back fire big time for the Organization.

It is possible that the powers that be could be encouraging a policy of baptizing younger members in an effort to stem the tide that they are losing to higher education and elsewhere but if so, this is likely to produced the exact opposite consequence.

The future of the Org is in the hands of the young and if many more are baptized too early, they may face an increased probability of being disfellowshipped, reproved, etc. as they get into their troublesome teenage and late teen years. When a person does find themselves in that situation several things happen such as they often take the opportunity to check out alternatives and alternative viewpoints, us the opportunity to experience previously forbidden things and also, of course, see first-hand the conditionality of their relationship to other Witnesses. If this occurs with a great deal of young JWs, the Org may find itself hemorraging more members than ever before.

-Eduardo

• Odrade
    Odrade

Ms Whip, you didn't have a story with a happy ending.
    Odrade was baptized at 15. She was the first of her friends to take the plunge, not to be the first, but because she knew she had the "truth." She pioneered for several years and was glad to do it because she thought she was serving "God." She got married in the Kingdom Hall, and kept on with service and meetings just like she thought she should. When she was in her early 30s, she found out the truth about the "truth," left the Organization, never looked back and is very happy. She doesn't take drugs for depression, didn't commit suicide, doesn't lead a double life, doesn't cheat on her husband, doesn't drink herself into oblivion, started a career, has a nice home, and pretty much has a great life.
    The end. :)

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    Ms Whip, you didn't have a story with a happy ending.

Actually #3 had a happy ending except for the disfellowshipped part. Only because of the stress & loss of family that causes. Otherwise, that's a happy story lol.

Odrade was baptized at 15. She was the first of her friends to take the plunge, not to be the first, but because she knew she had the "truth." She pioneered for several years and was glad to do it because she thought she was serving "God." She got married in the Kingdom Hall, and kept on with service and meetings just like she thought she should. When she was in her early 30s, she found out the truth about the "truth," left the Organization, never looked back and is very happy. She doesn't take drugs for depression, didn't commit suicide, doesn't lead a double life, doesn't cheat on her husband, doesn't drink herself into oblivion, started a career, has a nice home, and pretty much has a great life.

The end. :)

You do sound like my number 3 example. As you figured out this was fictional post based on real people. I too fit more into number 3 except the df part.

early 30s seems to be the ripe age for "lifers" to start wondering/wandering.

You also sound like you have adjusted to life outside of the org. with ease.

I would say you are the exception and not the norm. IMHO A strong will, an intelligent, logical matter-of-fact mind can adapt quicker than a beaten soul who runs on emotion no matter the intelligence.

Whatever the personality of the escapee, there will always be some sort of scar. It could be strained relationships, bitter feelings toward family, isolation, residual feelings of inadequacy, indifference, loss of beliefs, loss of friends. We could try to brush it off and say..."no i'm great" It's just not realistic to have been through what we have and say we are perfectly fine, it didn't effect us one iota.

In my experience, I am an all-or-nothing personality. When I threw away my Jehovah's Witness self, I also threw away my relationship with god, my belief in god, the bible, respect for religion etc.

No matter how much you say that it's all behind you and you're living a great life, the fact that you're here means something. Whatever the reason, it's not been a "clean break." Just my thoughts.

-ms. whip

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

oh I just had to add:

being among the many who were baptised under the age of 10...I say it is a disgusting practice to allow this to happen. almost criminal.

if you want to f*ck up your children, baptise them real young as a Jehovah's Witnesses.

***sorry about the hostility...this subject just makes me sick

especially hearing the elder's comment

that baptism was like a kiddie pool ! Isn't it wonderful how many young people are choosing to dedicate their lives to Jehovah?"
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I wouldn't let my kids get baptized. I thought they were too young. I felt that if they made mistakes due to immaturity, they might end up being disfellowshipped and that was unacceptable to me.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

TO ALL YOU JW LURKERS!!!! If you let your children get baptized too young, this usually means that they will be DF'd when the troublesome teenage years get here, and you will LOSE THEM, because the WTS teaches that you should not socialize and that you should shun your children. They will be left out in the cold, and you will not be there to council them when lifes problems arise, because they will feel rejected by you and will no confide in you, instead they will turn to their freinds with disastrous results. Isn't it better to allow your child to grow up and live his life, if later on he chooses to join the JW's at least it will be with a mature mind that can deal with life. IF YOU LOVE YOUR CHILDREN, DON"T LET THEM GET BAPTIZED TOO EARLY!!!, as you can see all around you in the Kingdom Halls, It doesn't keep them from anything, how many kids in your hall are now out?

IC

• Scully
    Scully

What is really disturbing is the hoopla surrounding these children being baptised. They make a huge deal out of it... it's almost as big a deal as the First Communion ceremonies that take place at Easter time in the Catholic Church. The kids all get dressed up for the convention, participate in a rite of passage, get treated to a celebratory dinner, and voilĂ ! you're a bona fide member of the congregation. Except the Catholic Church doesn't require family members to shun you when you make a mistake, or decide that it isn't for you anymore.

• disowned&alone
    disowned&alone

My Story:

D&A was baptized at the young age of 9. She realized that she was going to have to get baptized eventually, and figured she might as well do it as early as possible to solidify her place in the "Child Baptismal Legends List." Truth be told, she also really wanted the presents that one got when one was baptized. On the morning of her baptism, her cousin french-braided her hair, and D&A slipped into her size 2 children's shoes and set off towards the assembly hall. As she stood in line watching the candidates before her take the plunge, she had a feeling of dread in her stomach, and wanted desperately to turn around. However, her entire extended family members (about 50 people) were busy taking pictures and crying, and she couldn't dissapoint them. So, she took the plunge. She got some nice gifts and was treated like a star in her circut. She was also mentioned by the speaker after lunch, and commended for making the wise choice to dedicate her life to Jehovah at an early age.

D&A regular pioneered to further solidy her star status, and was called on numerous times to present parts at assemblys and district conventions. She strongly preached against the evils of homosexuality, promiscuity and high school proms, making her pretty unpopular in high-school. She disowned a close friend because the friend's mother was disassociated, and God forbid D&A spoil her "useful habits." She disowned another friend because the friend eloped, and this was a sign of spirtual sickness. Around 16, the lights came on in D&A's head. She began to question the idea that all others outside this faith would be condemned. She began to ask questions and explore other faiths. D&A realized that this was not for her. On the morning of her 18th birthday, she returned home to find her belongings strewn across the lawn and the locks changed. D&A has no contact with her one-time family and friends, and has been shunned for a decision she made when she was 9.

All for a few presents.

• codeblue
    codeblue

IF they were actually following Jesus example, no one would get baptized till they were 29.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    FlyingHighNow: I felt that if they made mistakes due to immaturity, they might end up being disfellowshipped

That's one side of it, the "cool" phase of adolesence which brings the smoking, groping and that kind of fun stuff. I wouldn't even call it immaturity, more like boundary checking.

The scary part is that baptism without a doubt cuts short the maturing process in that the complex thought process that intelligent and maure individuals use is discouraged by the WTBS.

By training the youth to not examine what is claimed to be the most important aspect of their lives the WTBS literally locks them into an early-state or pre-adolescent mind set for their entire lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit