Disgusting comment regarding the baptism at the DC

by under_believer 68 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

At the Service Meeting the other day the "friends" were given an opportunity to discuss the district convention (Portland, OR, June 30-July 2). We had 41 (!!!) people baptized at that convention. Forty-One. A bigger number than I remember for at least a decade. Four or five has been more like it.

So this one elder in my hall raised his hand and said "not to make light of it, or anything, but that baptism was like a kiddie pool ! Isn't it wonderful how many young people are choosing to dedicate their lives to Jehovah?"

That's right, folks--fully half of those 41 "baptismal candidates" were under the age of 13. Four fifths of them were teenagers or younger. Only 6 or so were actual "bible studies" who had "come into the truth" from the "field".

• Robdar
    Robdar

Well good for the kiddies. LOL.

Yanno, it's sad in a way. Yes, they truly want to serve J and please their parents but they do not realize what they've gotten into. I can speak from experience about that.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

But they don't baptise infants so it's ok. Better to rope 'em in when they're young and don't know any better. That way you can still say it was "their decision" later on when their in a JC for some hanky-panky at the playground. What a loving provision guilt is to hang over the heads of innocent children.

• Severus
    Severus
    young people are choosing

A child less the age of 13 cannot wisely choose a life-long dedication. Period.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Sounds like the elders had a real effective "you youngins better get baptized right now" sweep. A couple friends of mine are around 19 and still unbaptized. It'll be interesting to see how long they can hold out.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"but that baptism was like a kiddie pool!"
    geez was there a slip n'slide too? cotton candy? 4/5 teenagers or younger. That's gross. I'm sure it will be touted as a fine example.

smellsgood

• Jourles
    Jourles

I wish I could go back to 1991 and tell my 18 year old self to ask the elders, "Would there be anything wrong in following Jesus' example by waiting to get baptized when I am 30 years old?"

I would love to see their expressions.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It's been that way for a long time. Almost everyone baptized is a child of a JW. There are very few converts anymore. And, as for age, the sooner they get their hooks in them, the better their chance in coercing them to stay.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    half of those 41 "baptismal candidates" were under the age of 13. Four fifths of them were teenagers or younger.

I wonder if they had enough chlorine in the pool to kill all of the bacteria from the urine....

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

"how many young people are choosing to dedicate their lives to Jehovah..." Yeah, right. "Choosing." As if they had much choice in the matter. I remember the comments about how old I was getting to be, and "oh, my goodness, still not baptized?" the dirty looks, the hints, the talks about how we wouldn't be under the parents' umbrella of protection if Armageddon came right now, better hurry and get in the protection program, lol.

I was pretty much told, I had better get signed up for the questions and baptized at the next circus ass-embly. Reminded I was old enough to take my stand for Jehoopla, and if I wasn't for him, I was against him. Comments and dark looks about being old enough to move out... yes, free choice here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit