Disgusting comment regarding the baptism at the DC

by under_believer 68 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Thousands witness rite of baptism comment box

Bendigo Advertiser, Australia - 1 hour ago

THOUSANDS of people gathered in Bendigo at the weekend for the Jehovah's Witnesses' annual convention. It is the sixth time the ... THOUSANDS of people gathered in Bendigo at the weekend for the Jehovah's Witnesses' annual convention. It is the sixth time the convention has been held in Bendigo and this year's had one of the biggest attendances yet, with 3258 attending yesterday morning. Followers came from Mildura, Broken Hill and Ballarat and as far away as Sydney and Adelaide for the event, which provided an opportunity for them to reaffirm their faith and to welcome a new group of baptised Witnesses. Ten members were baptised on Saturday. Immersed in a pool of water and emerging as a baptised Jehovah's Witness. David Ruddick, a 19-year-old member from Bendigo, was very proud to have taken part in the rite. '‘It was a very enjoyable experience," he said. ‘‘I was raised in the truth, but probably in the past 12 months I've been putting in a big effort. ‘‘That means going out on the preaching route more, and studying more. I want to do Jehovah's will for the rest of my life." Children as young as 12 can be baptised, providing they understand their faith. The candidates lined up in T-shirts and shorts with towel in hand, in front of a small pool. With 3000 people watching, one by one they sat inside the pool. Then an attendant supported them as they lay back, completely submerged. Baptisms are usually only conducted at such conventions. Jehovah's Witness spokesperson Peter Verrion said he hadn't seen so many people attend a regional convention before. ‘‘The first one we had here in Bendigo in 2000, we had about 1900 people, but it's been growing," he said. ‘‘This one is the biggest we've had. I think, in general, congregations are getting bigger because of the preaching work. ‘‘We invite people to share in the Bible with us, and study the Bible with us. ‘‘We now have 6.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses around the world. In Bendigo there are 400 baptised Witnesses, but there are more people attending." In the next two months, 23 regional conventions will be held in Australia. Would you like to comment on this article? click article link above for prompt

• Odrade
    Odrade

Saw that. "Children as young as 12..." whatever. I wonder what people would say if they knew it was really more like 8 or 9, and if you do any kind of normal teenage rebellion you could lose your friends, family and everything if you aren't "repentant" enough, fast enough to suit the elders?

• blondie
    blondie

The year I stopped attending meetings, a JW from Chicago told me proudly that a 6-year-old girl had been baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care how intelligent a child is, they are not ready to make a decision even more serious than getting married. If I had read that 6-year-old girl had married, I would think child sexual abuse; why isn't this child abuse?

Blondie

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

In most countries, it is illegal for a child under the age of 18 to enter into any form of contract, whether written or verbal. One's dedication and baptism is looked upon as a contract by the dubs. Hmmmm

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

My recent shunning experienced by an old friend and this thread about child baptism got me thinking about the legal binding contract of my baptism. The contract I entered into when I was 9 years old.

I have to admit, that since I am not df'd nor da'd...I still feel tied/chained in some way to the organization. Maybe, I have finally reached a point in my life that psychologically I need to make a decision.

I no longer wish to be a Jehovah's Witness. I have faded successfully (except for the occasional shunning episode). I chose to fade instead of publically renounce my faith in order to leave communication open with my family.

In theory, there are only two ways to leave the organization...get disfellowshipped or disassociate yourself. In my case, the elders chose to leave me alone. I suppose they do not consider me a threat. My publisher card was removed from the congregation's file. I was fine with that.

What that means is no sheparding calls and when the Circuit Overseer visits, the elders don't have to explain my being inactive and what they have/haven't done about it. Plus, it makes the society's overall figures look better to just sweep people like me under the rug.

Back to my baptism. What did I agree to at 9 years old?

Well, since it was before 1985 when the society followed the "new light" and changed the baptismal questions...

I agreed to repent of my sins (which weren't many since I was only 9)

I agreed to recognize myself as a condemned sinner who needs salvation (um ok)

I agreed that salvation came from God through Jesus

I agreed to dedicate myself to God

These are the things that I agreed to when I was baptised.

Well in 1985, it seems the Society changed one little thing:

Children getting baptised were no longer dedicating themselves to God but, to an organization.

You can look this up yourself. I was shocked. This may be old news to you...but, it's the first I really thought about it.

Old questions:

WT May 1, 1973 p. 280

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son, Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through his son, Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

New questions:

WT June 1, 1985 p. 30

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

It was interesting to read the Society's own words about baptism.

when we dedicate our lives to Jehovah. We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organization. No, we dedicated ourselves to the Supreme Sovereign of the Universe, our Creator, Jehovah God himself. [Oct. 1, 1966 Watchtower, pp. 603-4]

I'm sure this point has been brought up before and doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If I said "hey I didn't dedicate my life to an organization, I dedicated my life to God..."they'd figure out a way around that. They'd say I agreed to serve God by means of the organization and abide by their rules or something.

I just wonder if these children today at 10 & 12 years of age know they are dedicating their lives to a man made organization. I wonder if they know that if they decide later, let's say at 18 or 19 yrs old, they really don't want to be in the jw club anymore... that they will lose their families forever. I wonder if they realize they will be isolated and shunned. That their support network will be lost. That it could cause psychological problems like depression and suicide.

I know that at age 9, I didn't realize these things.

• mavie
    mavie

"how many young people are choosing to dedicate their lives to Jehovah..." Yeah, right. "Choosing." As if they had much choice in the matter. I remember the comments about how old I was getting to be, and "oh, my goodness, still not baptized?" the dirty looks, the hints, the talks about how we wouldn't be under the parents' umbrella of protection if Armageddon came right now, better hurry and get in the protection program, lol.

I was pretty much told, I had better get signed up for the questions and baptized at the next circus ass-embly. Reminded I was old enough to take my stand for Jehoopla, and if I wasn't for him, I was against him. Comments and dark looks about being old enough to move out... yes, free choice here!

Exactly. I was baptised at the age of 17, rather old for my congregation as most were baptised from 13 to 15. I remember feeling guilty that I couldn't qualify to run microphones because I wasn't baptised! I also wanted to eventually date and get married, so I decided to get baptised. I really tried hard for a few years...fell into a slum...got married...tried really hard again and made MS. Now I'm fading.

I remember talking to one CO about this, it bothered him that ones as young as 10 were getting baptised. Yet he chalked this up to kids maturing faster nowadays.

In case anyone missed me, I was at Thom's for a few weeks.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

To Blondie: When a child is six years old, I think it IS child abuse. Emotionally, intellectually, and psychologically. That child will never have a normal childhood. If they decide to quit the WT later in life, the price will be their souls. I still think the age should be 18, the age of being able to make a legal contract. And better yet, it should be 30 years old just like Jesus. Isn't he the example to be followed "as a model"?

• Emma
    Emma
    I chose to fade instead of publically renounce my faith in order to leave communication open with my family.

And did this work? It's mainly why I faded, but it didn't work. I was "inactive" and refused to meet with anyone. The assumption was that I was sinning or apostate, neither of which was true.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    And did this work? It's mainly why I faded, but it didn't work. I was "inactive" and refused to meet with anyone. The assumption was that I was sinning or apostate, neither of which was true.

Yes, it has worked so far. I never refused to meet with anyone. I had very deep connections with everyone. Leaving was as sad for them as it was for me.

I made sure they understood that my "sin" and thus my reason for leaving was doubt. They could not disfellowship me for doubting.

When asked if I thought that Jehovah's Witnesses were God's chosen organization on earth today, I merely said that I had my doubts.

My publisher card was removed from the file and they no longer contact me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit