X - JW or Apostate?

by In Between 36 Replies latest jw friends

• In Between
    In Between

I thought this might be interesting. If it's been talked about before, I apologize in advance.

Which one are you? Do you think they are one in the same? What differences do you think exist between the two?

For me, I consider myself an 'X'. I have decided to leave and start a new life. I'm not what you would call 'active' against the faith, GB, teachings, etc. More of a moderate, I guess I concentrate more on where I'm going from here. A board like this and alot of the people here can help ones like me take those first steps.

An apostate to me is more active against the faith, GB, teachings, etc. I think of those that spend more time exposing the falsehoods. Apostates seem to have a little more 'purpose' in their life vs. the WTS. And while I have plenty of anger and hurt that has been caused by these people that claim they represent god, Apostates seem to have that 'hatred' that goes even deeper.

Just my two cents. But I'm a newbie, so I'd be real interested in your take on this topic. Thanks.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

It's my understanding that by just not being and acting like a good JW, (meetings, preaching, etc...) they basically feel you are no longer one of them. Not being one of them means you don't believe like you are "suppose" to === apostate.

My own opinion, they are one in the same. I used to fear the word apostate, now it's a badge of honor. Shows I can think, and learn, and be spiritual WITHOUT their help.

just my 2 cents, and WELCOME to the board!

shelley

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My two cents

I'm both

When I was DFed in 1985 I was still a believer. I stopped going to meetings but I still believed they were right.

That lasted for 10 years.

Then I started learning about the WTS and became both and xJW and an apostate (which means you have left your previous beliefs behind)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

InBetween:
    I agree with you. The connotation of the WTS version of the word "apostate" is quite narrow, although generally applied to create a kneejerk reaction.

Personally I take every opportunity presented to show people where the JWs are wrong, though I rarely actively look for such opportunities (most of them land on my plate).

I would suggest that most here are exJWs, but quite a number are also apostate in this sense, just by virtue of the manner in which they use this public platform of a website in refuting beliefs and in particular with the way they deal with JW-apologists who land here.

Realistically, though, the kind of apostate that the WTS fearmongers about is a very rare beast indeed, and very much in the DannyHazzard / Mouthy category.

• dido
    dido

Inbetween, i agree with you about there being a difference, apostates are actively going against the jw teachings and org. whilst exjw`s are not that bothered about doing that. The label apostate sounds horrible i think, but the definition isn`t as bad as it sounds, (can`t remember exactly what it is now tho`) Would the jw`s class anyone who comes on here an apostate, if so i must be one!

• Confession
    Confession

Certainly an "apostate" can be anyone who defects from the belief of a particular group. Using that definition most all of us can be called apostates..of the Watchtower religion. The problem is that, when JWs use the word "apostate," they are accusing you of being an apostate of Christianity itself, and that is certainly not true for many here.

So, at least to any JW, I will admit to being an apostate--if they admit that they and any of their family and friends who were at one time of another religion--but are now JWs--are also full-fledged apostates as well.

Generally I prefer Ex-JW.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Yeah, In Between, I feel that your description of the two is pretty much in line with my viewpoint. I suppose I consider myself an "inactive apostate". I’m not out diligently trying to undermine the WTBS or keeping track of my time spent but if the opportunity presents it self to enlighten an individual as to what they really are I will not sit by idly.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hmmm.... that depends on who you ask.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

By your definition I am apostate as I work actively against the Watchtower Society.

From a Christian definition, the word apostate does not appear in the New Testament. The Apostasy is discussed, and this is describing people working against Christ. So once again the Watchtower Society puts itself in the place of Jesus when it discusses apostates as being against themselves.

• Terry
    Terry

If you keep your opinions to yourself you are an Ex-JW.

If you speak your opinion you are APOSTATE.

By "opinion" I mean an original thought.

There are no individuals allowed in Kingdom Halls though they'd argue that isn't the case.

An individual is free to express themselves as a singularity who is unique among others.

Not so JW's.

You cannot wear your hair or clothing the way you choose. You cannot express freedom of choice in information given or spoken if it varies one jot or tiddle from the Mainstream of Watchtowerspeak.

The community of JW's create Apostates by the apalling treatment the give them and gossip they generate about them.

An Ex-JW is automatically suspected of the worst behaviors imaginable. And believe me, those JW's have wicked imaginations!

The main issue is ENVY. JW's in good standing cannot bear the idea that somebody is having the freedom to do and say as they please. Ad Hominem attacks are their retaliation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit