X - JW or Apostate?

by In Between 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Hey In Between,

I realize former, or X-JW's can have a great hatred for the Jehovah’s Witness. It’s only natural considering how much pain and suffering many have had to go through upon leaving. So many have lost family, life long friends and even business associates, over night in some cases. I think in time most former JW’s process through these negeative emotions and come to peace about it. I don’t hate the JW, I feel bad for him. But I do hate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society as I would hate a cancer, but not hate the victim. It’s the ideology of the WTBS I detest, and of course the leaders who perpetuate the religion.

JW's like to use the term apostate. This is a kind of labeling process for the JW, and it helps reinforce a kind of false sense of superiority. It also fosters solidarity amongst the JW group by name calling these, who are the greatest threat to their beloved Watchtower Society. It’s all based in fear, in my view. It’s very much like how some people use the term nigger regarding African Americans. When you label and group people into a class, it takes the individual accountability out of the picture. As long as the rank and file sees the former JW as apostates, then they don't have any real responsibility to investigate for themselves. Just like those who use the word nigger don't have to think about black folks as real people. Its an us verses them kind of mentality born in prejudice and raised in fear. I have seen JW's who frequent forums such as these where they’re more free to allow their true feelings of hatred to show (opposed to open forums where a mix of people frequent). On forums such this one, I have counted some JW's use the apostate term a dozen times (and more) in a single post. They consider it an insult and its obvious they some can't say it enough times in a paragraph to satisfy their hatred. When I see this term bandied about by JW's, it reinforces to me they are afraid and have to resort to this kind of name calling to reassure themselves they are superior to those who would dare to oppose their most cherished possession, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. I feel bad for them, but I’m glad I’m free of this kind of bigotry and trained hatred by a group such as the WBTS.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I guess apostate seems to work good for me. Because I'm against the views of the WTS and I do speak out against them. I have made a stand against the beliefs I once held.

BSoM

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I was DF'd for apostasy. I learned it from my kids. There were three incidents that I can think of that sealed the deal.

• One of my sons asked me, "Dad, you're not going to the meetings anymore. How come?" I told him.
    • I called both fellows with whom I conducted bible studies and told each I wouldn't be doing that anymore. Both asked why. I told them.

I learned that all three somehow got word to the local powers. The JC called me to ask if I would meet with them. I said no.

Based on those experiences I submit that 99% of ex JW's fit into the same mold.

Say a friend or a work acquaintence or a schoolmate or a bowling buddy -- asks, "Weren't you one of Jehovah's Witnesses not long ago?"

"Yes, I was but not any more."

"How come?".

From there, I seriously doubt that many come back with, "Yes, you're correct. I was one of them, it is the truth, but I'm just too weak to do what's required."

By the way, I hate the term apostate -- it's their term. I love the comeback mentioned earlier in this thread that most of JW's, by accepted general definitions, are apostates of some prior church.

Fats

• Brigid
    Brigid

I more or less just consider myself an "x" vs. an apostate. I do not call for the downfall of the organization, believing that people must follow their own path, no matter what. Nor do I really hate the organization. I believe it will implode of it's own volition or change so radically, that it will be just another religion.

Having said that, I chafe at the thought that the organization still has the ability to "define" me. I am by their definition, an apostate. I am an x jw. But I am also a lot of other things in my life. I cannot escape my upbringing, or the fact that everything that I was taught and went through led me to this board to be with a handful of people (proportionately to the world population) who understand me. But it still chafes that some small minded religious group has the power to define me. However, it is true. And I am glad to be here.

~Brigid (the rambling)

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I don't consider myself to be an X-JW or and Apostate. Just a person who spent some time in a totalitarian religious community before leaving to continue his spiritual journey.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Athanasius did a good job of expressing how I feel. I never accepted be called and apostate by the witness because I believe based on historic Christianity they are the apostates.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm both, I suppose.

My former brothers and sisters would call me an apostate. That was the label they hung on anyone who walked away from the wts in that kh, and they were portrayed as some kind of evil being who must be avoided at all costs. Of course, many people knew me as a jw, and now I'm no longer one some ask why. I don't always give the same reply, but I never use the term apostate. To them, I am an ex jw.

• PaulMarshall
    PaulMarshall

Hi.

I just wanted to say I surfed into this site yesterday and I am blown away by it. This sites I have found before have been largely made up of Apostates in the true sense of the word. They have re-focused their belief system into negativity. Reading through many of the postings here, well they sit more comfortably with me. some 20 years after leaving the truth, I am still wading through what I believe, but I do believe. Just not sure what that’s all!

All the best Paul

• magoo
    magoo

...it's all about "them against us".........a seperation that makes "them" special......this helps keep the rank & file feeling good about something....we are better than those damn "apostates"....even if we don't follow the bibles advise: love thy neighbor as thyself

magoo

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

One of the threads discussing what "apostate" means is this one.

My definition is: "Apostate is a smear term used against someone when they say something true that JWs don't want to hear".

JWs don't seem to limit the A word to ex-members anymore.

Slimboyfat defines apostate as "Apostates are people who are not content with simply leaving JWs. They have to put the Witnesses in the worst light possible - this mostly means simply exaggeration, but can also include outright lies and deception." Which I think bears out my definition remarkably well.

These days, I use real dictionaries to define what words mean and, yes, I am an apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit