Napa Valley, CA Child Abuse Court Case Victories

by AndersonsInfo 87 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    In one case, the process server found a person at the Assembly Hall who was getting it ready for an assembly and he accepted the papers.

Ooooh, I'll bet that person got in BIG trouble for accepting the papers!

Nina

• avengers
    avengers

Thanks for the info Barb.

Sneaky SOB 's aren't they?

Andy

• AndersonsInfo
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

This seems like a huge precedent. Confidentiality, the refuge of some real scoundrels in the catholic church and the WT, is a joke to any witness; how many times has "confidentiality" been broken by an elder we confided in?

And how we used to scoff at the idea of clergy confession and counseling, only to see it claimed as a defense by the WT's lawyers!

Nevertheless, they use it to evade responsibilty. Well, NO MORE.

Good job, Barb.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Thanks Barb for this info. This is an important ruling.

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks for posting that, Barb. --And thanks to YOU, Kimberlee, for your hard work as one of the lawyers handling this case! I look forward to future developments.

bebu

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Submitted Motion to Compel Production of Documents

At the same hearing on August 31, 2005, the Plaintiffs' submitted their own motion asking the court to compel Watchtower to produce documents. Watchtower claimed they should not have to produce these documents because they were confidential, in that they contained information given in private to members of the clergy; they also claimed other documents requested were covered by attorney-client privilege. The ruling came on September 29, 2005. Again, the judge rejected these arguments and required them to produce the documents requested by the Plaintiffs'.

What I find encouraging is a court that seems to be willing to attempt to dive into a religious sect. This is a very difficult process in America, as there is a long-standing tradition of "hands off" when it comes to religion. Separation of church and state and all. It is not often a court has been willing to do so, and even moreso on a clergy privilege matter. I'm thrilled the court recognized established law regarding the penitent privilege.

It will take one court case, upheld on appeal, to establish law and if the law can break the stranglehold of the power of the judicial committee, that can only help victims who have been bullied, intimidated and threatened into silence. I'm really not sure if the law can ever make any changes to the 2 witness rule regarding child abuse. That will be very difficult. If, however, the law can break the JC power and the resulting conspiracy of silence, all the better. It's going to take time however, it takes 2 years or more for a case to go to trial, and then another 3 or 4 years on appeal.

Thanks Barb.

• AndersonsInfo
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan

Now, this is interesting and big news.

I find it ironic that the very method that the WT used to protect their assets (retaining HQ ownership of all kingdom halls), is the very method that can string them up by proving a physical presence in every jurisdiction.

• cruzanheart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit