Early menopause

by MsMcDucket 73 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wednesday
    wednesday

I think it sounds like common sene to me, we are all so stressed, . But the adrenal fatigue dignosis, well it is now being considered a fad among most MD's (but so was hypoglycemia when it first was diagnosed). Not saying you won't find one who will diagnosis it, but most main stream doc's won't. There are several docs who do. also that book I mentioned "screaming to be heard" elizabeth lee vliet, md. she is around dallas/fort worth. she is very nice and does a very through work up, very pricey.

http://www.hotzehealth-wellness.com/

http://www.mercola.com/index.htm

those two are big on the net the first one is in houston but it is pricey.

ther is also a fibro/cfs center in dallas

http://www.fibroandfatigue.com/center_locations.

The post where I gave you the hyster-sisters, well they have some great links and are hooked up with many people. Also power surge has good links. When I began my menopuse search, well i spent hours just reading.

In my first post on this thread i mentioned natural estrogen, Estriol It is part of the bio-identical hormones that are compounded at a pharmacy but there is so much to know, and i hope you like to read.

I know your doc has put you on prempro. She might just be able to put you on that birth control pill Yasmin, . it has a safer progestrin in it, with less side effects. or you could ask her about taking usp natural progesterone. It is so much safer. less side effects than progestrin. .

You have options, even if you have to take a progestrin. I think Yasmiis great, esp for your age. you should still be young enough for it, but she (of course_) would have to make that decison. Many women on the boards do that, esp the younger women just went on yasmin., instead of the typical estrogen/progestri pills. I know yasmin is low dose and I believe they have one even lower out now. Talk to that doc, you will be surprised at all the options you will have.

I'll try and find link ,but you can even use compounding pharmacy online. one is madison pharmacy, in usa. been in business for long time.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Beer for menopause? This article is too funny!

June 08, 2006

Drink those hot flashes away

This is too wacky. Scientists have created a new way for women to deal with their symptoms from menopause--menopause beer of course!

Czech scientists say they have created a new non-alcoholic beer that contains 10 times the normal amount of phytoestrogen, intended to help women suffering from the menopause.

The beer, developed by the Czech Republic’s Research Institute for Brewing and Malting, is intended to relieve menopausal symptoms and maintain bone density by tackling a lack of the oestrogen hormone in many Czech women.

Certainly sounds like a fun way to beat those hot flash blues. I guess.

http://feministing.com/archives/005173.html

The only problem with this is I'd like to have some alcohol in it.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I was going to t say

a sure fire way for me to have a hot flash on command

drink beer, wine or stronger drinks

drink hot beverages, esp coffee-i guess i'll have to have them (the flashes) b/c i may have to give up a lot of things, but no one is wrenching coffee from my hands.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Wednesday, I'm a coffee drinker too. You mean to tell me that I'm going to have to give up all my bad habits. Might as well be a Jehovah's Witness!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Another menopause comic strip

Menopause Cool Cats

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think the exhausted adrenals are over diagnosed by people trying to sell supplements. I was hoping the link I gave had more to say about bio identical hormones. They are tested for by your ob gyn and prescribed by your ob gyn. You have to get them mixed by a pharmacist. Look into them and ask your doctor about them. You may find a lot of the problems you're having can be relieved by getting your hormones balanced. Women at all different ages need bio identical hormones at one time or another. I wish they'd had them when I was in my early 30's.

• anewme
    anewme

Mrs. McD, you are certainly suffering!!!! Reading your posts reminded me of a Bible Study I had a long time ago. I was only in my 30s and I was teaching the Borgs version of truth to a woman in her mid 60s.
    She was such a pleasant person to visit. On those days when I would be forced into service against my will and I was so plagued with all sorts of unhappiness at that time, I would separate from the group and visit Helen by myself.

Helen was a retired professional business woman. I have told this forum I lost my own mom so early. All my adult life I have relished any relationship with an older woman. Our Bible Study was kind of in shambles due to my personal problems. I confided in Helen. She must have known her role and welcomed my visits and sat me down and offered me refreshments and we settled back for long chats about life in general.

One thing Helen taught me was that at some point in a womans life, maybe her 50s, a woman must CENTER FOR HERSELF what is good for her, and follow that. She must set a new pace for herself following the onset of menopause. She needs to nap more, spend more time in her garden, sit and enjoy reading more, laugh with friends more and do only what makes her happy and feel good.

Being a complete brainwashed slave of the Borg I listened with fascination as this kinder older woman taught me the key to growing older gracefully. The key is CENTERING.
    Menopause is a special time in a womans life. She is switching gears internally. She needs to acknowledge and honor this natural change.
    This CENTERING was the issue when I invited her to the meetings at the KH. Sometimes she would come. Othertimes she would tell me it was not good for her to attend that day. I marvelled at her internal orders to do this or that. I was just the opposite. I was a complete basket case doing everything I didnt want to do and never doing the things I really wanted to do! I think of dear Helen from time to time even today, years later. Today I practice CENTERING FOR ME. It is not an entirely selfish thing for a woman to take care of herself so she will be around tomorrow to care for others.

Mrs. McD I share this story because I think you need to give yourself permission to just relax and be pampered by others a bit and take care of yourself. Throw out all the "shoulds" and just let things be and tell yourself a daily mantra "I am whole and complete natural woman of health" "I give myself permission to rest"
    I think a woman can give herself and her health away to family and her job and to selfish friends and churches. We are trained to be selfless to our own detriment sometimes.
    Anyway, I hope you get to heart of your problems love. You need a break from all the complications.

Enough said,
    Take care today,

Anewme

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hello everyone, the doctor has started me on Prempro. The diagnosis that she gave to me is ovarian failure. The doctor seems to think that my menopause is early. I will continue to post on this topic to let everyone know how the treatment goes.

Oh! My FSH is 47.5 and my LH is 40.5

PREMATURE OVARIAN FAILURE (POF) FACT SHEET

Who:

Approximately 1- 4% of the female population has Premature Ovarian Failure (POF). That equates to about 250,000 to 1 million women in the United States alone.

What:

Women are generally born with enough eggs in their ovaries so that they ovulate one each month from puberty until about the age of 50. At that time, the supply of eggs is used up and menopause occurs. But, in girls and young women with POF, something has happened to the supply of eggs in the ovaries at a young age. It could be a loss of eggs, a dysfunction of the eggs or the removal of the ovaries at a young age. Unlike menopause, this is not a natural occurrence. This loss of ovarian function is occurring at too young an age to be considered a natural, although premature, menopause. Premature Ovarian Failure usually occurs in women under the age of 40 and can happen as early as the teen years.

Symptoms:

Women with POF stop having periods. Sometimes their periods may be normal for a few months and then skip a few months. They may also have hot flashes or night sweats. It is possible to still have periods and have hot flashes. Other symptoms may include sleeping problems, mood swings, vaginal dryness, energy loss, low sex drive, painful sex, and bladder control problems.

Causes

: Many times the cause behind POF is unknown. For a few women, however, a cause can be found. Some causes include:

Chromosomal

GeneticTurner syndrome

Swyer syndrome

Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome

Associated with Fragile X syndrome

Familial

Enzyme defects/Metabolic

Galactosemia

Thalassemia major treated with multiple blood transfusions

Hemochromatosis

Chemotherapy/Radiation therapy related

Surgical - removal of the ovaries

Viral infection

Abnormal gonadotropin (FSH and LH) secretion or action

Autoimmune disease. Some of the diseases associated with

POF:

Thyroid dysfunction

Polyglandular failure I and II

Hypoparathyroidism

Rheumatoid arthritis

Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP)

Diabetes

Pernicious anemia

Adrenal insufficiency

Vitiligo

Systemic lupus erythematosus -also called

SLE or Lupus

Diagnosis:

If you skip your period or have hot flashes, see your doctor soon. POF is more than a GYN problem. It is an endocrine disorder and has serious health consequences that must be addressed. Make sure you prepare for your visit. Be ready to tell your doctor about your menstrual cycle changes, symptoms like hot flashes, and whether you’ve had ovarian surgery or radiation therapy. Tell him/her whether you have any endocrine disorder, any recent infections such as pelvic inflammatory disease, or a family history of POF. Some doctors may try to blame your symptoms on stress. Be prepared to insist on testing to eliminate POF as a problem.

Take this fact sheet with you, show it to your doctor, and ask for a work-up that includes two FSH tests done a month apart. FSH stands for follicle stimulating hormone and is a blood test that indicates if the ovaries are working correctly. Normal FSH levels are 10-15 mlU/ml and under; women with POF often have FSH levels above 40 mlU/ml (post-menopausal range). For a more thorough list of tests done to diagnose POF and its causes, visit the POF WebSite.

Consequences:

Health concerns for women with POF include osteoporosis and an increased risk of heart disease. POF is sometimes associated with autoimmune disorders (such as thyroid problems, diabetes or adrenal problems) that may require further medical treatment. Because of the problem with the eggs, infertility is a major consequence that is often quite devastating. Many women say that before they even had time to make a decision about having children, the choice was taken away from them. About 6 – 8% of women with POF will become pregnant. There is no way to tell who these 6 – 8% will be.

Treatment:

Generally, POF is treated with hormone replacement therapy at a higher dose than that given to women who are in menopause. It is started at a low dose so that you can get accustomed to having these hormones in your body again, and is gradually increased to the proper dose. Hormone replacement therapy is generally estrogen and progesterone but sometimes also includes testosterone. Birth control pills are sometimes substituted for hormone replacement therapy. Additionally, women with POF are encouraged to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly (aerobics and weight-training) to decease health risks of osteoporosis and heart disease. At this point in time, there is no treatment to restore fertility for someone diagnosed with POF.

Support:

You may be tempted to make a decision NOW about what to do about having children, taking HRT or an alternative route. Please give yourself enough time to get a definite diagnosis and do some research. The POF Support Group can help. Our goals are to provide community, support, and information to women with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) and their loved ones; to increase public awareness and understanding of POF; and to work with health care professionals to better understand this condition.

Please contact us at:

PO Box 23643, Alexandria, VA, 22304 • 703.913.4787 • Email:

[email protected] • WebSite: www.POFsupport.org
  • damselfly
    damselfly

POF? really? They don't normally diagnose over the age of 40. POF is different from menopause in that typically the associated symptoms (hotflashes etc) are not all present or are diminished in severity. POF and early menopause are not the same thing.
    You sound like your symptoms are quite severe?
    Did your Doctor do the spaced FSH tests? or just the one?

Dams

• LDH
    LDH

Mrs. Mc,

I don't have any advice on the coochie thingy being only 37, LOL, but I can recommend a twice daily dose of Retin-A with a 2% hydroquinone additive (can be mixed at a special pharmacy with a Dr's RX). I use dermalogica or Exuviance cleanser and on it goes every night and 2ce a day on weekends.

This keeps my skin clear~~ I feel like crap if I have zits, I'm like, wtf?!?!?

When you look fabulous you feel fabulous, at least.

Sorry about all of this. I can't wait for my turn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit