Great Educational Tool for those studying or thinking of studying with JWS

by sf 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This is the advice provided by the Watchtower.

Kingdom Ministry August 2002 p.3 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped

“4 What about speaking with a disfellowshipped person? While the Bible does not cover every possible situation, 2 John 10 helps us to get Jehovah’s view of matters: “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him.” Commenting on this, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, says: “A simple ‘Hello’ to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshipped person?”

Even though your family may be disobeying the Governing Body in this regard, they still do not associate with your uncle as a normal family would. I can assure you that it is heartbreaking for your uncle to be treated that way.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

4 What about speaking with a disfellowshipped person? While the Bible does not cover every possible situation, 2 John 10 helps us to get Jehovah’s view of matters: “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him.” Commenting on this, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, says: “A simple ‘Hello’ to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshipped person?”

Again the WTS takes scripture out of context. If you read a couple of verses before verse 10 you will see that John was talking about the fact that some were denying that Christ came in the flesh. This is what John was referring to when he said what he did in verse 10. I find it so comical that the WT constantly takes scripture out of context to suit their own dogma.

The Claw.

• supersonic
    supersonic

My family are not disobeying the governing body. Every disfellowshipped 1 i know still talks to their family, the society does not say for familys to cut all attachments with them.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I think one of the main things that shows this site isn't trying to convert people to a non-believers view is that it isn't advertised by magazines or door to door salesmen. Everyone who comes here has done so because they have chosen to, and can leave at any time.

I can't see how the rule on not speaking to DF people is okay just because family members are allowed to. Stopping anyone talking to anyone is just unnecessary control. Are they afraid you may become corrupted? And for the victim, all it's going to do is make them feel pushed away and isolated, hardly a good thing if the end result wanted is them returning to the congregation.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There have been/are numerous people here who are being shunned by their families so the WTS must have a shunning policy.

I liked the point made that at the meetings all that is ever studied is the WTS publications and that does make for mind conditioning and an isolationist mentality.

• sf
    sf

supersonic,

I provided the WEBSITE where I cut and copied this piece from. I DID NOT WRITE IT. Therefore, I can't answer any questions about what the poster wrote. Scroll down the page a few topics, and you'll see the thread. I'm not comfortable posting the exact link to that exact thread. It is easy to find though.

I suggest you click on the link and post your questions there.

sKally

• supersonic
    supersonic
    There have been/are numerous people here who are being shunned by their families so the WTS must have a shunning policy.

The WTS does not have a shunning policy for families, i know a few who still live with their family, i suppose it all depends on how serious the family views what the disfellowshipped 1 has done, if the person is dfed for being an apostate than they would probably shun them completely.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I have to agree with supersonic on this one.
    Not everywhere is shunning of family members that strictly. It seems a lot worse in the united states of america. Here it is normal not to shun, however not too close a contact also. Some are more strict then others.

However, I think that studies do not realize what they are signing up for when the baptize. They know so little of the things that are not in the open. Every line of the study books is terrible colored, and sometimes untrue, written to put the mind of studies in a certain direction. This can only be described as dishonesty. They need good information to make a choice. If they want to study fine, but they must consider both sides of the coin right?

Danny B

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Society definitely does have a disfellowshipping policy for family members. The Article I quoted is titled " Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped ". It goes on to say

13 After hearing a talk at a circuit assembly, a brother and his fleshly sister realized that they needed to make adjustments in the way they treated their mother, who lived elsewhere and who had been disfellowshipped for six years. Immediately after the assembly, the man called his mother, and after assuring her of their love, he explained that they could no longer talk to her unless there were important family matters requiring contact. Shortly thereafter, his mother began attending meetings and was eventually reinstated. Also, her unbelieving husband began studying and in time was baptized.

Watchtower 1988 April 15 p27 What About Relatives?

• Nadja
    Nadja

I was a study for a while, and I attended meetings and book studies regularly for nearly 7 months before I decided it was time to get out.

Just like with any community, there's never perfect uniformity, but I know that the society definitely encourages members to avoid those who have DA'd, DF'd, or gone inactive. Inactive is almost worse to them sometimes I think, because they can't really do anything to a fader, since they haven't really committed any crimes (besides apostasy) and yet aren't really in there earning their salvation (by putting in their field service hours).

My entire family studied for quite a while. Gradually, each member dropped out. First dad, then mom, then older brother, then younger brother. I was the last one. My study conductors never explicitly told me to shun my family but they made comments that could definitely qualify as implying that I not discuss spiritual things with them.

I think it's a mistake to portray all witnesses as devious, calculating, evil-hearted people. I think the vast majority of them are good people deep inside, but manipulated and perhaps even a little naive, fearful of the outside world, and underinformed. Many of them are outgoing and sincere. But just because intentions are good doesn't mean outcome is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit