Great Educational Tool for those studying or thinking of studying with JWS

by sf 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Think it depends what the disfellowshipping was for Supersonic.

Sexual stuff, drinking, fraud, imprisonment. . . I think you'd find plenty of families who still "talk" to the df'd one.

"Apostasy" now that's a different kettle of fish.

"Hi brothers, I'm having a barbeque this weekend, bring the family and any friends you like. Oh don't mind Uncle Apostate in the corner, He's harmless!! "

• matey
    matey

on the issue of families shunning DF'd ones.. if the DF'd person lives in the house with the rest of the family, you cant just ignore the person, its practically impossible. but when it comes to doing any sort of recreational activity, you'll find that the in house DF'd is left out for the most part. This also depends on whether or not the DF'd person is activly going to meetings and trying to come back.
    I was recently DF'd and i live on my own, my dad used to call me several times a week to get together or just talk, i hadnt attended meetings in a long time before this either. but then i was getting DF'd and he called the day of the announcement and asked if i wanted to go to lunch "one last time".. i havnt heard from him since. that was about a month and a half ago.
    to say JW's dont shun is ridiculous.. its all an image thing with them, and always will be. They'll do whats wrong in JW standards as long as it doesnt "appear" wrong. dumb.

• sf
    sf

~bumping thread to top for newer ones, lurkers and seekers~!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Hi brothers, I'm having a barbeque this weekend, bring the family and any friends you like. Oh don't mind Uncle Apostate in the corner, He's harmless!! "

and he very well may be........just cuz someones religious beliefs are different or someone has changed a way of looking at things does not mean they are going to harm another.

A BarBQ does not have to turn into a religoius debate or place to picket, or preach.

If that makes any sense.

purps

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

SS

Look up the August 2002 Kingdom Ministry for your instructions on how to treat DFd family members.

If you haven't kept a copy you can find it on a WT CD.

If you don't have either, PM me and I will send you scans.

Cheers

Chris

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

SS said:

"My family are not disobeying the governing body. Every disfellowshipped 1 i know still talks to their family, the society does not say for familys to cut all attachments with them."

IF your family is associating with a df'd one, they most certainly are going against the "instructions of the faithful and discreet slave."

The August 2002 KM stated that "it might be possible to have almost no contact" with a disfellowshipped family member.

In your area, they might be lax about enforcing this, but if a a local elder gets it in his head to come after you for this, he will. You might not be disfellowshipped (in the southern US you might), but you will lose all privleges, and they might mark you with a talk about association with df'd ones.

I am sure that many here could offer up their experiences.

I used to think the same thing as you, SS; then the society clamped down hard on association with df'd family in 2002.

My brother in law will not speak to his disfellowshipped son, even though he knows the JC that bounced him acted incorrectly.

My brother would not speak with his df'd son, even though he heard he was suicidal.

How is that unconditional love?

• Gordy
    Gordy

SS

Explain why after I dissassociated, because I could no longer believe in WT teachings, in 2001.

That my JW wife and two JW daughters have not spoken to me, for the past 5 years.

If she has to contact me for anything she does it through my non-JW son.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I remember my parents talked to me once a month just to make sure I was still alive. Those conversations were not pleasant at all. My mom would tell me how big of a mistake I made (she also told me she wished she would've never had me if she knew how I was going to turn out) and how I ruined their lives because my dad had just become a ministerial servant and how would that look on the family.

And then when I got reinstated, my mom told me how much of a burden I was because the book study had to move from our house and my dad had to step down until I got reinstated because, "that would look bad to the congregation."

• choosing life
    choosing life

My son was disfellowshipped for being seen one time talking with a friend who was like a brother to him,who was disfellowshipped. He was turned in by a sister. He was only a teenager at the time. That was many years ago and most of my family has no contact with him to this day. If I had known what misery this religion would do to my life, I would have ran and fast. I think people need to know before they get in too deep. Thanks for the post.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I went to a gathering to hear some stories from pioneers who just returned from working seldom-worked territory in Salt Lake City. Aside from the fact that it was a wasted two hours...I really feel bad for the people they handed books to. It seemed their tactic was to show the pictures and then ask, "Wouldn't you like to live here?" You get hooked in with the pandas and tiger cubs, but you pay for it in the end...

They described a territory of around 100,000 people, and no Kingdom Hall in the area. Those are some lucky people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit