"Slogging" - the top speed at which JWs go door to door

by LovesDubs 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I too - dreaded working with someone who would say, "It's your turn." I would usually try my best to turn it around - to get them to do the talking - if anyone came to the door, that is.

Ahhhhh... memories. *shudder*

I would LOVE to take the call...But your presentation is so much better than mine that YOU should take the call and let me learn how a real expert handles a call. I have never seen anyone in FS as good as you are

• restrangled
    restrangled

Since they are making very little contact these days, slogging not needed, (apparently no one is answering doors like they use to) here is the new tactic:

They have a new term (HBH) Home but hiding. Witnesses are looking up the phone numbers on google and then call on a cell phone while in front of the house.

Getting pretty intrusive, don't ya think?

r.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

And here I thought I was the only one who detested service! I once told an elder, in fact the PO at the time, that I hated going door to door. He told me..."No you don't". And that was the end of the subject. I was literally sick to my stomach from the time I got up the morning I had to go out in service until it was over with.

• TMS
    TMS

There have been a number of great threads on this subject on JWD.

Every congregation has a house close to the KH that is always "not at home" and the publishers always use to "start their time".

"Drive-by's": Return visits that can be determined from the car to be "not at home".

Break rules get embellished over the years by what pioneers and publishers observe CO's and DO's doing. My pioneer group stopped each day at a Mexican Restaurant and used an awesome coupon. We ate for almost nothing, counted our time straight through, leaving a tract on the table(or letting the waitress in on our "primary activity."

A brother signed up for auxiliary pioneering, only to find his car to need overhauling. Solution: He overhauled his car that month, counting his time. I won't give you all his rationalizations.

A recent JWD thread detailed a brother's 5 mile hike to a forest ranger's cabin(no vehicles allowed). He left back issues of the mags at the cabin and counted his time both ways.

In the 60's I had a Bible study call me every morning at 8:00 to discuss the daily text. She woke me up and started my time every morning.

I recall another thread. A brother awoke at 7:00 am, dropped a tract from the window of his upstairs inner city apartment and took a shower with his theocratic meter already running.

I will stop there, but there are so many, many more.

tms

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

One of my aforementioned 7 Dwarfs would call her 10am study from the hall after the service prayer (to remind her, she said, that they had a study at 10...after doing thissame study like every Thursday at 10am for 9years) and she would start her time from that point on. Used to p- me off but then there was another pioneer who also drove a school bus and we virtually never saw her ever at the field service arrangement and she was booking close to 100 hours a month by NOT going to the hall first. (Im sure that woman didnt want ANYTHING to do with the Dwarfs and after what I observed there...it was a wise decision)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    A brother awoke at 7:00 am, dropped a tract from the window of his upstairs inner city apartment and took a shower with his theocratic meter already running.

And THAT is the best story I've ever heard!

• alamb
    alamb

Am I the only one who pretended to ring the doorbell when my service partner wasn't looking? (just rested my finger on it for a second) I had ALOT of not-at-homes!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Its the pioneer shuffle, the newbies still run on their enthusiasm.

I had a field service overseer who on hot days would drive around the territory in his airconditioned Mercedes making sure all the brother were fine and knew which block to do next. He wouldn't do a single door, wouldn't even get out of the car, just lower the window to tell the sheep where to go next.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit