For Sh***ing One - Do I represent Christ Properly?

by jgnat 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Anyone want any popcorn? *munch*

• jgnat
    jgnat

ha ha hillary-step.

As usual, Sh***ing One uses the scattershot approach in an attempt to overwhelm. It's tough to disentangle the rhetoric. But I'll give it a go. I'll tackle one paragraph/comment at a time on a separate post. I've got a hundred a day. No fear of running out.

He: You would rather use semantics to deny that you are complaining and compromising.

Me: The Nicene Creed is not semantics. Read it, sir.

He: You are a compromiser who has no Biblical foundation except your own idea of 'the law of love'. You belittle the very gospel when you compromise on the principles and precepts of valid doctrine. You belittle the saving power of the gospel by denying that a person headed for hell (deathbed) can be brought to salvation by the Lord, using one bold enough to share His word. If you deny that Jesus Christ is the one way to God (and I am not sure that you do) for whatever reason, you are compromising His message to the world. You are in a popularity contest. You tickle the 'itching ears' with your compromise and rob the gospel of it's very power to save.

Me: Pure ad-hominem attack, repeats of other accusations, without any backup or proof. I've answered these before. Give me some meat and I'll chew on it.

Do you understand my point? There are degrees of devotion to Christian doctrine. One does not need to be a slave to all to be a full servant of Christ.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Me: I think Little Toe said it best. I say the Word is different than the word. Prove me otherwise.
    He: More semantics and the 'merry go round' begins again......

Well, for me, it's critical to my understanding of God and the bible. I've accused you of confusing the bible as God. As far as I can tell, you consider criticism of the Bible to be blaspheming God Himself. Do you agree with this accusation? Where do I have it wrong?

• jgnat
    jgnat
    The issue is...the eternal souls of those who would find more reasons not to believe because of your own belittling of the word of God.

Well, let's ask them then. Audience, does my representation of Christianity encourage you to not to believe and further belittle the word of God?

AND, Sh***ing One, if my words have failed to prick, perhaps you are right and I should stop trying to convert you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Holy thread resurrection.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/97962/1.ashx

What are you trying to do, make another run at our original arguments? In my opinion, I ran you to ground on that thread. Except you insist on rolling over for another beating.

I'll have to take your comments line-by-line to see if you added anything new. I doubt it.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    He: ...You seem to be flippant about serious discussions that involve eternal souls.

Your opinion. I call it eloquence.

He: I recently told you that the idea is not to 'win' debates by semantics but to win souls.

Then why do you argue at all? Go and find the "help" threads and give some useful advice.

Me: I am a follower of Christ. Not a follower of Bible. There's a difference.
    He: You contradict yourself by belittling the Bible, which is where your knowledge of Christ comes from.

You do not know my conversion story. You assume too much. My salvation came from direct intervention, the Holy Spirit whispered in my ear the saving knowledge that saved me from a life-threatening situation. In a very real way, I feel like the healed leper who came back to thank Jesus. I will be forever grateful, I will never forget what God did for me.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    He: Are you saying that trying to respect and obey scriptural commands is somehow incorrect for Christians?

Me: Trying to defend the bible as infallible as God is infallible is doomed to failure. You are forced to believe that the world is a flat disk supported on pillars, sheol below, and a dotted tent above, Heaven. This is what the Isrealite ancestors believed, and this is what the OT references to Sheol and Heaven are based on.

He: Your foundation for belief is then without any intelligent support according to your compromised, liberal opinionated exegesis.

OK, you are going to have to explain this to me. How does an understanding of the historical Sheol and Heaven as known to the ancient Isrealites make me liberal and opinionated? How is such an understanding unintelligent?

• jgnat
    jgnat

By the way, who encouraged your grandmother to pray on her deathbed? Or did she come to this saving knowledge all on her own?

• Shining One
    Shining One

Jgnat,
    I was shared the gospel with my grandmother a week before she died. I did not have to plead. Here is the ultimate reason that I myself got saved. Jesus passed by me as He did the blind man in John 9 and opened my eyes to the reality of His love and saving grace. Many of my oldest memories are of my grandmother reading and telling me Bible stories. She brought me to love God and I ended up loving Him more than the Borg.
    If the Lord saved me so that He could use me to reach my grandmother, 50 years a JW, then the whole Watchtower situation was worthwhile. When one is called to be an evangelist sharing the gospel is an incredible experience, responsibility and obligation. Salt and light, that is what we as Christians are called to be. As Christians we are called to a ministry of reconsiliation and for the purpose of sharing the Lord's grace and mercy. I believe (and the denominational stats show clearly) that a church that compromises rather than have an effect on the world will die on the vine. Look at what the Lord says about the 'lukewarm church' in Revelation. Appeasement is a 'slippery slope' and a 'foundation built on sand'. Good works and good service are all part of it. You still think of this as some place where you can be flippant and clever, deluding yourself on the seriousness of your own denigrating of scripture. I pray that changes at some point.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Dan,
    There is no contradiction in the accounts. These are different views from different men for different purposes. If they all said exactly the same thing they you would say that is the reason they are 'fake'. You must be looking at some idiot skeptic site to educate yourself.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit