TURN ON CNN: PLANE HIT WORLD TRADE CTR BLDG!!!

by MadApostate 181 Replies latest social current

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It was a very surreal to look back on it. I remember when I first heard about it. I was being home-schooled at the time. Our congregation had a Tuesday morning book study. Our conductor mentioned something in passing after the book study that he heard on the radio on the way to the book study that a plane had flown into a skyscraper in NYC. I didn't really think much of it because he didn't specify anything about it. I guess he left before hearing about the second plane. I got home from the book study and turned on the TV a couple minutes before the second tower collapsed. I don't think my brain could comprehend just what exactly was happening. Everything seemed to be happening so fast.

I remember hearing reports of a plane crashing in Pittsburgh and since I could see downtown from where I was I was looking to see if I saw anything but obviously there was nothing. It's just all still very surreal.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

The newspaper I where I was working, just over the river and GW bridge on the Jersey side of the Hudson, won awards for its 9/11 coverage.

Not that we hadn't won awards before. This was LIVE and it was US.

All our "wires" into NYC were down. Yet so many of our people… family, friends, neighbors were downtown desperately calling in with their live stories.

Trying to get home. Home to Jersey. And us, our medics and volunteer firemen, going "there." We are inextricably linked. Most of US, came from THERE.

We got the story. We LIVED the story. We still do. Well over 700 lives taken from NJ. "Only" three from my town.

Headline: "The Mourning After"

It was suggested by our art director. He was on a Maureen McGovern kick at the time. Apropos, 10 years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KClpLzFftU
    ~Sue

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was getting ready to go to Seattle to get my CI's (fake ears) programmed for the first time.

I was checking the news on the 'net and saw it.

Egg and I were glued to the TV that night in the hotel room.

Oompa,

I've had those prophetic dreams, too.

They came true, alright.

I'd either dream them before they came true or while it was happening.

The night before my mom's motorcycle accident, I felt a heavy blanket of doom concerning her.

You aren't going crazy, unless I am, too.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I returned to Manhattan yesterday to observe the 10th anniversary. When 9/11 happened, I wondered what NY would be like ten years from now. NY was devestated in many ways. I was flinching every time a plane flew overhead. It is more vibrant and healthy than ever. My home church is the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, the largest cathedral in the world. It is Episcopal. The place was packed for all services. The 11 am was full of pomp and circumstance. The Presiding Bishop gave the sermon which was only good. The local NY clergy were far more powerful in their words. Firemen from all around the world were present. Walking to the cathedral, I noticed that some bars were offering free drinks to all firemen in uniform. It was good to see raucous crowds of firemen, drinking publicly on the corner. Violations of NY Law usually.

One thousand Oregonians flew to NYC to help after 9/11. Many of them returned. Vespers was very moving. The incense and professional choir were stunning. There was resignation but good spirits in the crowd. Episcopal nuns, a rarity, were present. The NYC Gay Men's Choir performed during Vespers. Following the service, the Portland Gay Men's Chorus gave a wondrous concert. The finale was a combination of the NYC and POrtland choirs, conducted by the first openly gay elected bishop of NH. I read so much about him in The New YOrk Times and Time Magazine. Sitting three feet from him, I saw a short, dignified man. No horns or fangs.

It was very moving. The pomp and treasures are important to me. This is no boring suburban church but it can also be anonymous. The big part for me was the concerned, loving community. After 9/11, funerals were taking place with only fifteen minutes lulls at main churches. I've never heard such a choir. It was a great decison to go. Very different from KH with no love or empathy. It is a relatively rich church, though they have severe financial strain but it is all relative. The resources are nice but the people are what make it a living place.

I was afraid to go downtown or midtown b/c of the threats. Between services, I visited Columbia University's campus.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    bumping 17 years on
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COBWEB:

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I am watching the 9/11 coverage on TV right now.

...I was a commuter and newly “faded” from the JW religion when this happened. I was grateful to get home alive! What a terrible day that was.

There’s a lot of water under the bridge and many newer people on the forum today!

• zeb
    zeb

My condolences to all who lost loved ones. Every year when this becomes a headline it must re-open the wounds.

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

17 years and we are still bandaging the symptoms but not tackling the disease that caused this, orthodox islam, the teachings of Mohammad.

Don't think for a moment that something like this or worse cannot happen again.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It’s amazing that this happened so long ago seems like it was only a couple of years ago.

It’s also kinda amazing to see posts from people that I’ve never seen before. All these people that were JWs and were able to move on with their lives and have no need to come to a site like this anymore. I hope I can do the same with my family some day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit