TURN ON CNN: PLANE HIT WORLD TRADE CTR BLDG!!!

by MadApostate 181 Replies latest social current

• under_believer
    under_believer

I don't think that bumping this was a good idea.

• Odrade
    Odrade

My mother watched this happen from the first plane coming in. Her desk faced out the window looking out directly over lower Manhattan. She stood up to watch the plane because she thought there might be a movie filming to have a plane fly in so low and so close. She saw the whole thing from that window in the Watchtower's Factory building.

She called me hysterical and said "there are people jumping out of the windows!"

We were almost inactive when the WTC was attacked. We became active again, but it was shortlived. Everything was so shaken up in our lives that the petty squabbles, prejudices and archaic fundamentalist attitudes became increasingly intolerable. It seemed we were no better than the jihadists who wanted to wipe all but themselves from the face of the planet. They just called their god Allah, while we said Jehovah.

I think about my mother's fanaticism, and how she is so eagerly awaiting Armageddon, then I think about her pain and terror for the people falling out of windows while their offices burned behind them. I wonder how this woman who vomited from empathy, for the worldly people working in the World Trade Center, thinks that she will be okay with the death, dismemberment and burning of 6 billion people at the hand of her God.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks, Odrade, and sorry if bringing this forward offends you Under_Believer. It has been brought forward most of the 9/11s for the past five years.

I think looking back on how we've changed in our views over the past five years can be insightful, as can looking at our first responses.

I'd like to see this again in 2011. The next five years will be very revealing, in so many ways. One wonders where the fanaticism will lead in those years.

S4

• under_believer
    under_believer

No offense taken; the objection had more to do with forum etiquette than anything else. I am often wrong; perhaps I was in this case too. Odrade--thank you for those comments. Have you brought that apparent paradox to your mother's attention? Would it do any good?

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

This thread is how I found out what was happening 10 years ago today. I was reading the usual, daily posts when this popped up.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Same here, I logged on that morning (different user name than now), saw the thread, but didn't turn on the TV. I didn't want to see people actually dying.

I longed for my children, to tell them I loved them one more time in case the atrocity sparked a war, but they're JW's...

• oompa
    oompa

wow that is an intense one hour read guys...i know exactly where i was at that moment...that entire day....i never remembered any other news moment really as to where i was....the landing on the moon a bit.....but not where i was when kennedy or reagan or lennon were shot....i am fifty.....

but there was one other and it was so scary...i dreamed the night before that the space shuttle challenger was going to explode after takeoff...and there was a teacher on board...i think the first time a civillian went on board....and so the next day i was kneeling on the floor in my living room....soft thick brown carpet....for some reason i was beside the woodstove and i dont even remember why i was there but i was on my knees watching it..and omg...it happened....just like i dreamed it.....i have never really gotten over it....it even looked the exact same....crazy i know.....oompa

• Band on the Run
  • shamus100
    shamus100

Can you believe it's already been ten years? I'm watching 102 minutes that changed America right now and my jaw is on the floor.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I was in shock over the events of that day. I awakened to the news and began recording (on VHS tape) the events of that day as they unfolded, from different news channels, until there was no more tape to record. When the day was done, I sat back in my office chair (I work from home) and pondered what had just happened....so many lives lost. I was numb.

I still have that tape, it is on my bookshelf in my office, I have not been able to watch it since the day I recorded it.

Without knowing the Towers had been hit, (I live on the West Coast) the first words I heard that day were, "F-16's are scrambling to protect the White House." From that moment on, I knew we were in trouble.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit