Intolerance - a new breed of ex-JW

by LittleToe 260 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

OFG,

I know I come into peoples threads, and say cannabis this, and cannabis that

*cough* word o' god *mutter* sacrament *cough*

Robdar, I know nothing but experience to the contrary is going to change your mind, as is only right. Whatever God There Might Be is just gonna have to do his her its own work. But I do want to say that the religious are not the only ones who "think that they are right and God loves them the best." One of the hardest things anyone ever has to learn to do is to respect the integrity and humanity of people who believe all kinda weird shit.

As you said,

Every once in a while I'll glean a nugget of what I think is helpful to me. But only if I read it from a symbolic angle.
    This is one of the oldest spiritual disciplines. Tenth-century Muslims, Hildegard of Bingen, Ralph Waldo Emerson – they all did it.

LT, my head is all full of the church service I went to today – a black Baptist church that was ... well, the whole attitude was: "We all know God; let's party." They did mention sin once, I think because it was in the contract or something I'm putting it in my blog later.

gently feral

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

LittleToe

Though I can't speak for everyone, you've certainly not offended me. I've been enjoying your sense of humour

GentlyFeral

I know I come into peoples threads, and say cannabis this, and cannabis that
    *cough* word o' god *mutter* sacrament *cough*
    Cool... Yeah, I was hoping i could bring a little "flavor" to the board...
  • GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Lady Lee,

I think many have a problem seeing the difference between the person and the beliefs, regardless what those beliefs are. I have seen (not just here but in other places) that people have a very hard time separating the two.

Yeah, but didn't the jaydubs teach us not to separate the two – that such a separation was actually hypocrisy?

Perhaps if we find ways to remind ourselves that what a person believes does not define who they are, (my beliefs may change but I am still me)
    Yeah, but my "me" also changes as my beliefs do. <pause to think> But if my "me," my inner self, leads the way, those changes in belief become more organic, supporting my real self rather than deforming or suppressing it.

gently feral

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

shut up already ross ...you're talking rubbish

see what i did there

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Ross, I have noticed it too, in fact early on I participated as well. Now I just don't even open the threads I know will go in that directions. However, the intolerance is not only towards Christians. Its all religions that take heat including my own. Sometimes I think Athiests try to convert more than any Christian I ever knew.

I do have to say, that until I met you, LT and one or two others, I had never met a Christian that was not judgemental. I think I am blessed to have met you and the others, because I learned something from the experience. I still have my guard up but I don't usually take part in the first few volleys!

Today at my service we talked about brotherhood, and peace. I vow today to put that energy out there. Its all I can do.

Blessings,

Sherry

• Justin
    Justin

As has been pointed out, people should be met where they are. I don't think it's helpful, for instance, if someone asks how the WTS knows how many of the 144,000 are left, for them to be told that the whole subject is mythological anyway - that there isn't even a God to pick the 144,000, let alone a heavenly kingdom, etc. Let those who are willing to deal with the subject on its own terms attempt to help those people. In the same way, I don't think that someone who has declared themselves an atheist should be told by a believer to "try Jesus"! If we imply that what matters to people is actually irrelevant, then I think we are also implying that the people themselves are irrelevant.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

oooooooh Ross, bad timing; you caught me just back in town from the horror of a Catholic funeral. Prepare to die, godboy!

;-)

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I do have to say, that until I met you, LT and one or two others, I had never met a Christian that was not judgemental.

Same here, Gretchen.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

OK, I am going to jump in. This is the first time that I have included myself in a conversation such as this because I am very sensitive but I just have to say something here.

Whenever we bury someone that has been a significant and comfortable part of our lives we grieve. Grief has several different stages and going through them can not be avoided in order to heal. It is healthy. Now I admit it is not natural to be forced to bury ourselves, our past, who we have been.

I still feel anger at times... not over my past with the JWs but with the current effect that they have on my family. They have pronounced me dead to my sons. Yes, sometimes what I feel is white rage. But there is nothing that anyone can do period. If I kept thinking then I would be tossing furniture out the windows.

REcently, I made a decision to continue visiting JWD but I erased every other ex witness site and ex reference from my favorites and from my computer. The more negative that I read the angrier I became. I will not give them anymore power in my life, period. I focus my energy on the future when there will be a re uniting of my family. I have to believe that.

cab

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

On the subject of "new breeds", I keep getting this picture from the ads at the bottom of this thread:

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit