Intolerance - a new breed of ex-JW

by LittleToe 260 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I cant help but think of the analogy of pendulum swings when I think about how vitriolic some are towards religion (of any description), the bible (and other scripture), and Christianity (generally, regardless of there being a WIDE range of denominational flavours) in particular.

It seems to me, from my perspective of sitting here on a remote Scottish island, that there are a fair number of folks who may have left an intolerant and generalising religion but forgot to leave those attitudes with it.

Just my 2p, coz to be frank I'm getting sick of it.

By all means enjoy some self-expression, it's a relatively free planet, but have a heart...

• mann377
    mann377

I have made the same observation. The only conclusion that I could come up with is that the JW's appeal to those that are inclined to be this way and that goes for almost all cults!

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Gee I hope I didn't offend you.. I Think that I am a tolerant person... I mean, I guess I expect people to tolerate who I am, and how I live... So I do my best to find the good in every one...

I know I come into peoples threads, and say cannabis this, and cannabis that.... but I don't believe I have ever refered to any "believers" as "human debris"

• Robdar
    Robdar

It seems to me, from my perspective of sitting here on a remote Scottish island, that there are a fair number of folks who may have left an intolerant and generalising religion but forgot to leave those attitudes with it.

LT, I do not agree with this. My vitriol towards all religion has been of my own making over the past 20 years or so. I have checked out many religions and have decided that ALL of them, especially the Abrahamic religions, are crap. I think that the world would be a better place if we just got rid of them. Especially the fudies. Most all religions are intolerant towards the others. Everybody thinks that they are right and God loves them the best. Their egos are amazing.

I also have very little use for scripture as far as it being inspired or written by God. Every once in a while I'll glean a nugget of what I think is helpful to me. But only if I read it from a symbolic angle.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I put the fault with the WTS, they oppressed these ex JWs so much that they came to hate anything to do with God and religion. I can understand that some ex JWs would react that way while others are be immune to becoming negative towards religion.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

OFG:Though I can't speak for everyone, you've certainly not offended me. I've been enjoying your sense of humour

Robyn:As you know, my own opinion is that religion is a dangerous tool and that scripture is more inspiring that inspired. That having been said, it doesn't mean I have to run down everyone elses beliefs.

What's wrong with letting folks grow at their own pace, without roundly condemning and belittling them for a growth that seems less than optimal to the individual doing the judging?

Throwing around the word "crap" is a case in point. One man's rubbish is another man's Gold.

• Robdar
    Robdar

As you know, my own opinion is that religion is a dangerous tool and that scripture is more inspiring that inspired. That having been said, it doesn't mean I have to run down everyone elses beliefs.
    What's wrong with letting folks grow at their own pace, without roundly condemning and belittling them for a growth that seems less than optimal to the individual doing the judging?

Throwing around the word "crap" is a case in point. One man's rubbish is another man's Gold

LT, as you know, I think that people should do what they need to do to come to a better understanding. Or I think you know that I believe that. I thought you were asking our opinions. In your first post you said: By all means enjoy some self-expression, it's a relatively free planet, but have a heart...

As far as my use of the word "crap", that is my opinion. It's my self expression that you just told me to enjoy. So what if I think it's all crap? I'm not telling others to feel the same way. What's it to you if I consider one man's gold to be my rubbish? Where's your heart and your tolerance?

Much love,

Robyn

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I think I know what you mean LT,

I think also it depends on what stage you are from the exit. I’ve seen posters here go through changes in their style of posting, which appears to reflect their own personal portion of recovery.

Also, I think that there will always be things, no matter how far along we are on our own personal path of freedom that hit a nerve.

I’m not sure though whether this is a new breed. There are many people who become intolerant of religion, of any sort, and from any sort. Yesterday I attended an art exhibition with my wife, and she was chatting to a guy, an ex-catholic, who is personally disgusted by religions of any kind. He became quite vocal about it. She introduced him to me, thinking we would share some commonality. Quite the opposite.

I suppose it’s partially about bigotry and filling the void, in my opinion. As Jehovah’s Witnesses we were taught how there is a form of good bigotry. Our heads become wired to this. When we move on, especially when we “know” we are right to move on, the same old circuits are refreshed with this new data. This new data becomes the new hierocratic.

steve

• juni
    juni

Good day Little Toe.

Hope I haven't offended you. You are sitting there peacefully on your beautiful Scottish isle w/the sheep all around considering the value of inner peace. You're right. We sometimes get pretty snarfy here. For me it depends what mood I'm in and what I've just read.

I really like the fluff and "warm fuzzy feelings" that people express. Gets your mind on positive things and makes you feel more relaxed, ya know? Also, uncle, doc, and gumby make me laugh w/their nonsense which sometimes gets pretty bad.

That was one of the reasons "anewme" had to break away from the Board for awhile. She's got a lot going on in her life and it was dragging her down. Sometimes it's good to take a break. I know I've spent way too much time on here. But I'd miss my friends- I'll just have to find balance.

Whatever you decide to do, we'll never forget you and will miss your postings.

Have a wonderful Sunday!!

In friendhip,

Juni

• trevor
    trevor

The difficulty is that when we invest in a belief system it becomes something we value. If someone questions or criticises what we value it must be defended and supported. If we fail to adequately defend it then it can be damaged and in time lost. This process robs us of the opportunity to be objective.

Many here react against anything religious because of the anger they feel. Initially this was an anger towards God which developed into a belief that there is no God. So the anger has then become directed towards themselves for believing in a God and allowing such belief to affect their lives.

Now this has become a hostility towards anything that is outside of their frame of reference, or anything that might lead back to the concept that they have rejected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit