Are you embarrassed?

by desib77 50 Replies latest jw friends

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Actually when I meet someone new that I think may be a friend, I immediatly inform them of my upbringing, So if I say something stupid, they might have an idea where I'm coming from..

Just wanted to add... You know how many times I had to explain, why I never saw "Star Wars"? (of course I've seen them all now)

• Purza
    Purza

Nope -- not embarassed at all. Last year I started a new job and on my first day my boss received (in the mail) some JW literature. I immediately told her to throw it out, which she was going to do anyway. It is very liberating for me to tell people that I got out of that controling religion and if I can help someone else not become a JW, then I will definitely speak up.

Purza

• freetosee
    freetosee

Yes I feel very embarrassed about this. Even though most of the time I do mention it, people are very interested and find it fascinating. But I can’t help it, I still don’t what everyone to know. Only close or longtime friends know of my past JW life. I also feel urged to inform them that I was born into it as an excuse that is not really necessary.

The few people that say “that could never happen to me!” I find most annoying. And I do mention that many who at first said they would never follow this religion are the very ones who became fanatic JW’s.

Freetosee

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i'm unembarrassable

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    i'm unembarrassable

ME TOO... LOL

• Free
    Free

Your not stupid neither are the people still involved today. I just say I used to believe differently like the years before being brought up in my childhood creed. I didn't believe in them either in the years before finding the truth. If someone were to ask me in that span why this ?, why that ? I would have told them the same thing. Anyway I'm just glad to still have a few good friends from the past who I never completely shut off which could have easily been the case.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I am constantly embarrassed about it. The stupid things I used to do and say, ugh...

I love your avatar, so cute!

• Sassy
    Sassy

Well I might not feel real bright when I admit I was a witness for 40 yrs.. ok 35 (including all of my time there unbabtised and after)

but.. I always say, they are a cult, total mind control and that people honestly believe because they are good at what they do..

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The thing to remember is that this is a part of who we are today... and who we are today is someone to be proud of... we had the strength of character to walk away.

Jackie

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Does anyone else find themselves embarrassed about their JW past?

No, because I love to tell others about the education I received as a prisoner of the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit