Are you embarrassed?

by desib77 50 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

Hi everyone.....

Does anyone else find themselves embarrassed about their JW past? I find that when people that know what I used to be ask me about it I am completely embarrassed by how foolish their beliefs sound especially things like the blood issue. I can't stand when someone will say "why did you believe such and such....?" What do you answer to that, "because I was an idiot?" or "because I was brainwashed?" To me the fact that I once believed things like that makes me seem less intelligent now. Does anyone else feel that way?

Desi

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I personally do not find it embarassing to talk about my jw past... but then again I was raised in that silly religion, and left at age 17...

Actually when I meet someone new that I think may be a friend, I immediatly inform them of my upbringing, So if I say something stupid, they might have an idea where I'm coming from..

,Mike

• magoo
    magoo

......d77

were you raised a jw? if not,then you were dupped into beleiving their "paradise on earth" fairy tale. if you were looking,searching for truth,spirituality & were convinced you found it.....you should not be embarrased. they "convence" you that they, alone, have the one & only true religion........period!

as a kid i was embarrased to be a jw....but had no choice. i never admitted to "worldly" friends i even was one. even made up gifts i'd gotten for christmas...........played like my parents were cool..........all the things "normal" kids want

now it's a non issue....as if it never really happened...no embarrasment..just a " life experience" that's in the past

magoo

• desib77
    desib77

magoo,

Yes, I was raised a JW. It is just that now it seems so clear that even I wonder why I ever believed that way. I guess I am just ashamed to have been so foolish.

Desi

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am not particularly embarassed I would always say they looked promising so I tried them out to see if they really match up to their promises, I found that they did not and after a year I left them. I gave them enough time to prove themselves.

In fact after a year I became totally inactive and faded away.

• blondie
    blondie

The ones that matter know I "used to be" a JW...no big deal. Sometimes they may ask a question because a workmate or neighbor has been talking to them. Mostly, JWs are not the center of the sphere like they think they area.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

hi desi - some good questions there

Does anyone else find themselves embarrassed about their JW past?

I used to be very embarrassed. It was similar to the feeling when I told people I had been sexually abused as a child. Shame, guilt and embarrassed. A part of that was also the feelings about how and why I left - more abuse and being DFed. For a while I used to tell people I was a minister's wife (few understand the elder thing).

I find that when people that know what I used to be ask me about it I am completely embarrassed by how foolish their beliefs sound especially things like the blood issue. I can't stand when someone will say "why did you believe such and such....?"

I start those answers with a quick "I can't believe that I believed those things either!". It takes the embarrassment away and uses a bit of humor to release some of the tension I felt.

What do you answer to that, "because I was an idiot?" or "because I was brainwashed?"

I explain to them the various ways the WTS controls people. Most people have experienced some kind of manipulation in life. I find that spot and help them understand it.

To me the fact that I once believed things like that makes me seem less intelligent now. Does anyone else feel that way?

There is nothing wrong with admitting that you were wrong or manipulated. The alternative is that you stayed there and still beleive the crap. For the most part, we live in a society of recovery programs. It is acceptable now to say "I was an alcoholic" or "I was a cult member" There is actually more pride in getting out than in staying in.

Be proud that you have learned and are now free. - There is no shame whatsoever in that.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

No not embarrassed, but I don't want it to be the focus of who I am.

If I'm in a conversation with someone I won't bring it up unless I need to explain it to some extent to help the person I'm talking with understand my perspective on a particular matter a little bit more.

Other then that, nope not emabarrassed.

BSoM

• Brigid
    Brigid

Am I embarassed? Very!! My mother-in-law went to her grave not knowing that I'd been a JW. I always tell everyone I was raised evangelical Christian. I'm trying to get over this. Everyone I do finally end up telling always asks: Did you go door to door selling magazines eeeeeewwwww!

No one I tell can believe I came from such a background--I'm very very different; then again, I was back in my JW days too; never fit in. I even have to tell myself that I was never meant to be a witness, it was some cosmic fluke! But in my attempt to become a whole person, I am trying to get over this and be more open with people about my past and integrate it fully into the present; reminding myself that it made me who I am and I very much like who I am.

~Brigid

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

One more thing I usually add is borrowed from a cigarette ad

I've come a long way, baby!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit