Does the Rainbow Covenant Disprove the Flood?

by Severus 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• catbert
    catbert

I need to adapt to this forum. I am new here. There seems to be sincere people here. I am not used to that with my experience in other forums. lovelylil and Schizm, both of you had thought provoking responses.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

catbert,

you will like it here. You will find even those who you do not agree with all the time can help you use your thinking ability and make it much sharper. We have to prove things to ourselves only and I think it is o.k. to not agree with someone else. We have that freedom now to do so since leaving the WT and it is wonderful. I have made some good friends here too and I have been on only a few months now. Its really nice to have you here too. Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Schizm,

Thanks for adding your thoughts, I never looked at it that way about why the flood and not a vius, but that seems like a very logical explanation to me. Have a good day!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I love it Schism! So God used miraculous force fields a few thousand feet high to box in the human race and then miraculously filled it with water so as to kill all the plants and animals so as to save the 8 humans from viscious animals. Just why couldn't god give them a gun? Or maybe evn just "shut the mouths of the lions"?

• under_believer
    under_believer

Totally OT. I wish this thread would die, not because it isn't a good thread (it's a GREAT thread,) but because every time I see the title I think of that song from the Muppet Movie "The Rainbow Connection."

Someday we'll find it / The Rainbow Connection / The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

That song always makes me a bit misty. :)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hearing the song brings me back to May 16, 1990. I was soooo sad that day, and the song was everywhere. Henson was my childhood!

• under_believer
    under_believer

Leolaia, mine too. To this day, I can't watch Sesame Street or old Fraggle Rock reruns with my kids without feeling a bit sad. For that matter even the Jabba the Hutt scenes and Yoda in Star Wars reminds me of Henson, he being responsible for those character designs.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

In answer to the question, No. The sheer stupidity of the entire story disproves it!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Don't the JWs teach that before the flood the animals all supposedly ate "straw" since in paradise they would all eat straw like the bull does. They teach paradise to be a restoration of god's original purpose and intentions. Therefore why would these hordes of "viscious animals" need to be wiped out in order to save Noah and his family, since before the flood they would have posed no threat supposedly. Nevertheless I'd like to know why animals have carnivorous teeth at all if they were intended to only eat vegetation, unless god miraculously changed their teeth. However, the bible says god was resting on the seventh day.

If he did in fact erect a barrier around the area Noah and his family were in why is there no mention of it? The parting of the red sea account quite vividly dwells on the fact that he created dry land for them to walk on. Yet the flood account implies the entire earth was flooded. And couldn't an all powerful god simply have snapped his fingers and made all the wicked disappear? Why does it always have to be some dramatic test or demonstration of destructive force? All knowing, all powerful and yet never seems to get his "will" done expediently or effectively.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Don't the JWs teach that before the flood the animals all supposedly ate "straw" -- Mysterious.

Who gives a sh!t what they or anyone else teachs. Why not use your own brain cells and figure such things out for yourself?

If he did in fact erect a barrier around the area Noah and his family were in why is there no mention of it?

I think sometimes he wants us to use our brains (aka "intelligence"). Our brains tell us that a global Flood is illogical. The idea that God would flood the entire globe in order to drown a people who are confined to a comparatively small area in a certain region of the world is ludicrous.

Yet the flood account implies the entire earth was flooded.

Oh, really? I'd like to hear you explain how the Bible "implies" such a thing.

And couldn't an all powerful god simply have snapped his fingers and made all the wicked disappear?

My understanding is that God doesn't have fingers to snap.

All knowing, all powerful and yet never seems to get his "will" done expediently or effectively.

Appears to me that what he did was quite 'effective'. Doesn't the account say that only 8 people survived? How much more effective do you think God needed to be in order to get the job done?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit