Does the Rainbow Covenant Disprove the Flood?

by Severus 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    (2) A rainbow is not an animal.

ha ha ha, LMAO

thanks Narc, for clearing that up :)

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Yeah but what if the are correct? You should re-think your whole belief system.

• headmath
    headmath

It seems god told a little fib, he really meant to say

"nO MORE WILL i BRING A DELUGE UPON MANKIND.... UM.....THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE TSUNAMIS HURRICANES MUD SLIDES TORNADOS MONSOONS CYCLONES VOLCANISM WHIRLPOOLS and DUST DEVILS

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Noah and his family saw the rainbow after they left the ark. After the waters had receeded. After it had stopped raining for months... -- Severus.

WHERE does it say "Noah and his family saw the rainbow"?

Also: God's promise wasn't that he would never make it rain again. His promise was that he would never bring about another such Flood. Actually, the fact is that God promised that he WOUILD make it rain again. And rainbows are a common occurance with rain. Duh!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    How did a rainbow appear after the flood if the rain had stopped days before?? -- Severus.

This has to be a prank thread!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    13 I set My ( M ) bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.

The myth says God takes his bow (Hebrew here is for the weapon not just a semicircle) and set it in the cloud, hangs it up as it were, as a sign to himself and men that he will not war against them again. The bow is aimed upwards rather than down towards the earth.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    The myth says God takes his bow (Hebrew here is for the weapon not just a semicircle)

Obviously god was a little confused and forgot that rainbows are circular and are only semi-circular looked at from below. Either that or some bronze age goat-herder didn't realise.

Seriously though, it is difficult to imagine that there are many people left who take the biblical flood account as being literally true. Come on people, there are more holes in the story than in nora batty's stockings

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Headmath,

God does not cause Tsunamis, mudslides, hurricaines, etc. These things are caused by nature and agravated by pollution which affects the natural balance of the earth.

As far as the word Bow being used and not rainbow - some bible translators shortened this word. In my bible - the NIV, it says rainbow. In most of the bible translations I have it says rainbow not bow. There is no reason why this should be a bow as used in war. It is obvious by reading the surrounding verses that speak about clouds that this is an actual rainbow. Not a weapon.

I don't know what all the legends are that are being spoken about or if they were pre-bible or post-bible account of genesis. But if anyone has information I can look up with page numbers, name of source, etc. I will be happy to read it. I cannot tell what the information is if you give only one line pulled out of a book. I need to read it in its context. Thanks. Lilly

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

lovelylil

The Hebrew word qeshet which applies to the "rainbow" in Genesis 9:13ff and Ezekiel 1:28 is also used for the weapon in 21:16; 27:3; 48:22; 49:24; Joshua 24:12; 1 Samuel.2:4; 18:4; 31:3; 2 Samuel.1:18,22; 22:35; 1 Kings.22:34; 2 Kings .6:22; 9:24; 13:15,16; 1 Chronicles.5:18; 8:40; 10:3; 12:2; 2 Chronicles.14:7; 17:17; 18:33; 26:14; Nehemiah.4:7,10; JOB.20:24; 29:20; Psalm.7:13; 11:2; 18:35; 37:14,15; 44:7; 46:10; 76:4; 78:9,57; Isaiah.5:28; 7:24; 13:18; 21:15,17; 22:3; 41:2; 66:19; Jeremiah.4:29; 6:23; 9:2; 46:9; 49:35; 50:14,29,42; 51:3,56; Lamentations.2:4; 3:12; Ezekiel.39:3,9; Hosea.1:5,7; 2:20; 7:16; Amos.2:15; Habakkuk.3:9; Zechariah.9:10,13; 10:4.

The "bow in heaven" (cf. French arc-en-ciel = rainbow) is an important motif (rather astral than meteorological) in the Mesopotamian creation text known as Enuma Elish. The bow which Marduk has used to subdue Tiamat (cf. Hebrew tehom, the "ocean-abyss" in Genesis 1:2) is the token for a covenant of the gods:

The seven gods of destiny set up the three hundred in heaven.
    Enlil raised the bow, his weapon, and laid it before them.
    The gods, his fathers, saw the net he had made.
    When they beheld the bow, how skillful its shape,
    His fathers praised the work he had wrought.
    Raising it, Anu spoke up in the Assembly of the gods,
    As he kissed the bow: "This is my daughter!"
    He named the names of the bow as follows:
    "Longwood is the first, the second is Accurate;
    Its third name is Bow-Star, in heaven I have made it shine." (90)

He fixed its position with the gods its brothers.
    After Anu had decreed the fate of the bow,
    And had placed the lofty royal throne before the gods,
    Anu placed it in the Assembly of the gods.
    When the great gods had assembled,
    They extolled the destiny of Marduk, they bowed down,
    They pronounced among themselves a curse,
    Swearing by water and oil to place life in jeopardy.
    When they had granted him the exercise of kingship of the gods,
    When they had given him dominion over the gods of heaven and underworld, (100)

In the Mesopotamian flood story which is found in the tablet XI of Gilgamesh (but is dependent on the older Atrahasis epic) there is no (rain)bow, but a coloured necklace plays the same narrative role after the sacrifice (incense in Gilgamesh):

The gods smelled the savor,
    the gods smelled the sweet savor,
    and collected like flies over a (sheep) sacrifice.
    Just then Beletili arrived.
    She lifted up the large flies (beads) which Anu had made for
    his enjoyment(!):
    'You gods, as surely as I shall not forget this lapis lazuli
    around my neck,
    may I be mindful of these days, and never forget them!
    The gods may come to the incense offering,
    but Enlil may not come to the incense offering,
    because without considering he brought about the Flood
    and consigned my people to annihilation.'
  • lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thank you Narkissos,

I am going to spend more time looking at this later, as I have to go out for a while. But can you tell me if these legends were after the genesis story of the rainbow? I would think it would be hard to date as we don't really know in what year the genesis account was written. I know some will say a few thousand years ago but I myself am an old earth believer. I think Genesis was written much earlier.

Also, Narkissos, where do you get your information about the ancient legends that seem to show the same stories as the bible? Is there a book you can recomend as I find this area very interesting. I like to learn other peoples views on things too. Thanks for your help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit