Does the Rainbow Covenant Disprove the Flood?

by Severus 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

So, if Adam and Eve had never sinned they would have lived on forever in the ever-expanding garden,

- and mankind would thus never have seen the sun, moon or stars (let alone the rainbow) for ever? Or ever even felt rain (only just a little dew in the morning)? Or ever heard thunder or seen lightning? All beautiful things, IMHO.

- but what would have prevented those evil angels from messing around with the daughters of Eve anyway? That cloud cover???

- and if God didn't plan to flood everybody from day one of creation, what was that cloud cover up there for in the first place??? Is it coming back in the new system? To protect us from the sin of astrology, perhaps? Will resurrected ones miss the stars at night???

- and if God did plan to flood everybody from day one, isn't that a sort of mean-spirited look into the future of some pretty helpless creations?

Not to be mean spirited myself toward those who believe it literally, but there are a lot of holes to be filled in this ark...

James

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I totally agree with the original poster. How can you have a rainbow if it had stopped raining for days.--foreword.

Don't you understand? This is a prank thread! The "original poster" is having fun playing with your frickin' mind.

Anyway, what part of my statement didn't go straight over your head:

The fact is that God promised that he WOUILD make it rain again. And rainbows are a common occurance with rain. Duh!

Yes the waters that caused the "Flood" were "stopped", but God didn't do away with clouds ... and the rain that clouds produce ... and the rainbows that result from rain.

This isn't rocket science, ya know. Sheesh!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Shizm - yes, we (mostly) do understand that it is funny...but sadly, many do not even think about this legend objectively.

So I must rant on: what were the greater and lesser luminaries created for if you are just going to cover them up with a blanket?

Why were there bromeliad plants made specifically to catch rain and save it in their leaves?

Weren't there any mountains and waterfalls or snow before original sin?

aaaaaarghghgh!

• Schizm
    Schizm

James,

For the time being, all the questions you raise are really non-issues. The REAL issue is that you and I are "short-lived and glutted with agitation". We DIE! Got an answer to THAT problem? Until you do, then why piddle with the less important questions?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Shizm, I have heard this:

"Living well is the best revenge"

Part of this living well for me is having fun with dogma...

In good humor, James

• startingover
    startingover

Lovelylil,

I really believed for a little while there in your earlier posts that you were actually thinking. But then you had to go and let me down when you said this:

I am not saying what I believe at this time but I think it is important to have an open mind and to look at evidence both ways before making up your mind. I do think sometimes we tend to over-evaluate evidence and try to prove theories either way instead we should look at it more simply. There have been hundreds (probably more) books written for/against the flood. As well as other things mentioned in the bible.

I say, let each believe what he/she has resolved in their own mind.

Why didn't you just say "I am going to believe what the bible says no matter what the exidence shows so just leave me alone.

You probably think you're being picked on again, but I just had to say it.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Shizm, I have heard this:

"Living well is the best revenge"

You may want to leave instructions for your survivors to put that on your epitaph. I'm sure it'll be a source of comfort for both you and them.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

startingover,

I am simply playing devils advocate and presenting some evidence for the other side of the arguement. I am a thinking person and also a very open minded on too. Trust me I am looking over all the evidence on both sides of the issue that is why I am not saying either way what I believe. Most of the things in the bible I do believe as everyone knows I am a Christian but do I believe some stories are exagerated? Of course, that is the human thing to do. But I don't believe I have to throw out the whole idea of God because of it.

I thank you for your opinion but I personally believe that no matter what someones personal beliefs are, it is always wrong to judge them as being un-thinking, or brainwashed, stupid, gullable and all the other things that I and other believers on this thread have been called. Not by you personally but by some in general.

This is the same tactic the WT uses when people disagree with them. They try to make them look stupid or put labels on them. What difference would it make to anyone on this forum as to what I believe in my personal life anyway? If you think I would be gullable for believing in a myth, how does this affect you? Especially when I never tell anyone what they HAVE to believe, nor do I try to insinuate that they are stupid for what they believe. I am the one who consistantly states that the bible is a book for Christians only and we believers should not think everyone else in the world should believe it the same way we do.

With all due respect, how would you have felt if I posted about you that "I thought you were a thinking person, but oh,well, I can tell you are not by your answers", how can you judge someone as not thinking? This is only one thread and one topic.

Do you consider only those who agree with your personal belief systems to be thinking people?

One thing I appreciate about Narkissos is that he is very helpful when someone is looking for information and does not resort to the judgment of others who may disagree with him. Leolaia is another good thinker and adds much to this forum as well as many others.

I believe everyone has the right to view information on both sides of the issue. Just think, if the WT presented contrary information, how many of us would have gotten involved in the WT?

Anyway, I appreciate your comments anyway, next time I will try to be more clear as I am not dismissing any information Narkissos gave me. I am still evaluating the evidence on both sides. I do not think you can make a valid choice in what you believe without this kind of information.

I read one link Narkissos gave me and will read the other later. But, ultimately, since my beliefs are personal anyway, I am the one who will have to decide if the contrary arguements change them or not. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But either way, I pride myself in being a thinking person. Biblical acceptance is a personal choice as is not believing in the bible.

I hope I do not offend you in any way by what I stated. I always enjoy your posts also and think you are a great person. Peace with you, Lilly

• startingover
    startingover

Lilly,

It's next to impossible on discussion boards to convey facial expressions or tone of voice. We've been round and round before. I was teasing you a bit. I'm pretty sure that you will always be a believer and until god speaks to me directly I will not be.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

startingover,

I agree with you, it is hard to tell when someone is kidding or not. I am sorry if I misunderstood. Whether God does ever speak to you or not, you are still a good person and have value no matter what your personal beliefs are. That is the one thing I try to bring out no matter what the topic is. Our beliefs are personal and each one must wiegh the evidence and decide for himself. If God does not call you at this time to follow him, it does not mean you were not worthy in some way, it just means he has something different planned for you, that is all. If more of my fellow Christians would understand this, they would not be judgemental of unbelievers either. My belief is that this time period in human history is for the calling out of Christians for a particular duty in the future - which interestingly enough will be to serve and care for non-believers. But that is best left for another thread at another time. I wish you peace in your life, Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit