Book Study Parties...New Trend ???

by Poztate 36 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

These are starting to sound like a Chavurah. (see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chavurah ) Many of my Jewish friends have a formal agreement with a group of families in which they gather for holidays and important family events, such as birthdays, graduations, etc. Sort of an extended family role, with a Jewish umph...When one is without an extended family nearby (for whatever reason), Chavarot provide a context to participate in the cultural aspects of Judaism.

1) I'd bet these "book study parties" are not sanctioned "from above"

2) I'd also bet that if they get too widespread someone is gonna put the kabosh on them.

3) And, using their circular logic, this makes them a good thing, which means the society won't like it, which means they will have to stop, which means they were a good thing to start with, anyway...

Back in the 70s, a new elder and his family with a ton of kids moved to our congregation. They hosted our bookstudy and every week provided goodies for the entire group after the meeting. It was kinda nice (and where I discovered the "Wheat Thin"). They also had one congregation party, where they went all out with plans for fun things to do for all the age groups.

That was the only party, and for some reason the book study was disbanded. I don't know that I ever knew why, or even wondered why. That was a nice family, and I suspect he was a "good elder." They eventually moved on.

Shoshana

• bem
    bem

We used to have small book study get togethers, but I only remember one congregation size picnic and it was because the CO was leaving the district. we went to a park and not much fun was had .but the smaller gatherings were better for the kids and they enjoyed them. All of us in the bookstudy had children and we had the fun days for them. Usually Saturdays after service (ggggggrrrrrrrrrr I am so glad my kids are out with me and still love me) but the outtings were really stressful for me.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Gee, that seems sooooo '70s. Our cong dropped those way back in the early '80s.

I live in a 70's type of town. It does seem like it is local thing and not a new society program. It might have been an idea of the last C.O. A fresh faced 30' ish with a lot of new ideas. Boy Will he get in shit when the D.O. finds out........

The book study overseer has become someone that is more into the lives of ones in his book study group. Whats sad is, if you don't like you BS overseer or feel that you don't fit in with the group, you almost become an outsider once again in the congregation. As the people in your assigned group are the ones that are to look after you. I don't know if this is another of those unspoken rules, but it is just what I have observed.

That is another thing I noticed.It seems as if the BS conductors are more involved (invasive) with the control of the flock. I know my wife can't miss a BS without the BS conductor phoning to ask how she was and if there was anything they could do to help.To me it seems like they are afraid to let the sheep stray even a little bit. They cash flow must be draining...
  • garybuss
    garybuss

We had an incredibly funny party one night. We had one brother who could whistle "Take Sides With Jehovah" in stereo with two straws stuck in his nose. The first two times he did it, he could fart the base run too.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    We had an incredibly funny party one night. We had one brother who could whistle "Take Sides With Jehovah" in stereo with two straws stuck in his nose. The first two times he did it, he could fart the base run too.

WTF?

• Poztate
    Poztate

I love it Gary.You really have to take up pen and paper and start a few more Okies stories.

Dogpatch is counting on you....http://www.freeminds.org/buss/okies.htm

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Probably some loon's idea of creating smaller silos so that it will be easier to go underground when the great tribulation comes. "If we all love each other now we'll be unbreakable when the persecution starts. Hooray, persecution!"

• zagor
    zagor
    Actually, I think the society wants people in the BS groups to get closer

Pun intended? lol

actually its a double pun, lmao

• blondie
    blondie
    I know my wife can't miss a BS without the BS conductor phoning to ask how she was and if there was anything they could do to help.To me it seems like they are afraid to let the sheep stray even a little bit.

Do they know she is married to a "poztate"? That could be why she gets special attention.

It's a mixed bag as to whether the conductor calls if you miss...around here no one calls until it is time to find out why your time slip is missing...so that would be around once a month.

Blondie

• KW13
    KW13

I struggle to remember our Congregation doing many things where more than 20 would attend apart from the firedrill, weddings e.t.c

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit