Book Study Parties...New Trend ???

by Poztate 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate

Truthseeker just posted about the WT congregations discouraging large social gathering or parties.

In the last little while my wife has gone to a few "book study parties" and has commented that other book studies were doing the same.

It seemed a little strange to me that this was happening as most of her congregation seems cold and distant at the best of times.

I wonder if it is a new "program" started by the WT to hype up the old "brotherly love" thing.Has anybody heard or seen this to be happening lately if you are still close enough to know?

• luna2
    luna2

Is this done after the book study? We used to occassionally do something like that. The key was not to have it too regularly and not to make too much noise about it. As soon as the elders, as a whole, get the idea that the friends are having "fun", suddenly its taking away from Jah's worship and everything comes to a grinding halt.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Some Book Studies™ in my congregation have a monthly "goodie night" where people bring little snacks for a little coffee break thingy after the study is over.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Is this done after the book study? We used to occassionally do something like that

NO...IT has been held on Saturday afternoons in large part and including dinner,BBQ or potluck

• luna2
    luna2

Hrm...that's different from anything that was done in the congos I went to. You could be right. It may be a way to have some socializing on a small scale. Wonder how long it will last.

• under_believer
    under_believer

I wager it's totally unofficial.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Poztate, this is happening in my hall, although it is still rare.

The association is limited to the book study group you are in - one sister got upset because she wanted to invite the friends round but the book study overseer said no, he would decide when! Imagine that! Telling the host when she can and can't have a book study get together - to me, just another meeting without the suit.

When I have been to these things, it's OK as far as what you'd expect - no deep or meaningful conversation beyond work, the weather and for brothers, the score.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I wager it's totally unofficial.

Maybe at the C.O. level??? but wait till the boy's at the top find out about it....

It seems to be confined to just the book study group you are in - one sister got upset because she wanted to invite the friends round

That's the impression I am getting also.It there something to this???

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    "goodie night"

That's exactly what my mom called it... she said they had a "goodie night" after they finished the "Daniel" book...

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I can recall a hand full of occasions that we had pizza, soda, chips and treats after a bookstudy. I would say that a handfull of times in 18 +/- years would hardly qualify as a trend. But of course thats going back 13 +/- years now so I'm hardly in a position to give my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit