HELP.... kingdom hall to be erected in my community....town meeting!

by meljon 60 Replies latest jw friends

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

In a previous lifetime, I was the chairman of a KH building committee, as well as a dept. head for the Regional Building Committee. I wholeheartedly agree with the comments that if you bring up anything emotional, including pedophilia and field service, you will be seen by those in authority as one having an axe to grind and therefore biased. They will totally discount any other points you make, no matter how effective they are. Like others have commented, organize the communities and any homeowner associations by inviting them all to a meeting at the local school and devise a strategy. How will neighborhood traffic be affected? How much buffer will there be between the KH property and the nearest homes? Insist on a 50 foot treed buffer. (Trees are really expensive.) What about large floodlights on the parking lot at night? Will ALL vehicles be contained on KH parking lot or will there be street parking? Three meetings per week is assuming there is only ONE congregation. If there are eventually three congregations, that's NINE meetings per week. Really, concentrate on the logistical impact on the community, NOT their beliefs or practices. If there is a public hearing, have an expert present their findings regarding these matters. Have charts and maps and really convince them you've done your homework. That's your best bet.

Uncle Lenny

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Most jurisdictions get most of their money from property tax (in CA, most is from sales tax), and the JW's will not be paying any property taxes, so that is one thing on your side. Of course, the planning staff and Commissioners know this, so don't act like you're just going to go in and set everyone straight.
    I would make a big fuss about the parking, that is usually the biggest thing that gets projects altered and sometimes even killed. One thing you could bring out at the hearings that the staff and Commissioners may not know is the overflow parking on special talk days, memorial, etc. that may have a big impact on local neighborhood streets.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Another thing; the world of planning is highly public and highly political, so adding to the already stiff process a hot religious issue is going to be an uphill battle. The Commissioners and Councilpersons will often times be more lenient with religious groups because they don't want to look prejudicial. So DO NOT get into religious issues, like blood, pedophilia, etc! Just stick to the project itself. I cannot emphasise this enough.

EDIT: This all greatly depends wwhat State you live in. If you're in California you're golden - you have a lot of environmental laws on your side (CEQA) - but if you are in Tennessee, good luck. So depending on your jurisdiction, these are some things to bring up:
    Parking.
    Lighting (as mentioned above).
    Stormwater runoff (even in Tennessee this is a big issue).
    Aesthetics (building orientation, rooflines, facade material, etc).
    Geology and Soils (any grading? do they need toxic studies?).
    Air Quality (do they have drop-ff area where cars could possibly idle?).
    Biological Resources (any endangered species on the site OR in the area?).

Like I said before, your best bet is traffic impacts.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I value religious freedom, so I would have a problem with blocking any church because of personal beliefs.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"I would have a problem with blocking any church because of personal beliefs."

- in this case I think it goes beyond personal beliefs, and into personal vendettas. >;)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Bring up with other voters the practical reasons; they hold three meetings a week; two are usually on weeknights, plus there are usually a couple of other meetings a week to organise preaching. Local traffic issues, parking, fire hazards, noise pollution, headlights in neighbours houses. They don't pay land tax.

Demand concessions from them, like they have to make half of the property a public park; landscape it and maintain it. Demand major traffic works on the road that the property is on.

Three times a week drives neighbours of most kingdom halls to misery.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Mel...I really think you should stay with the 'No tax for the community' issue ( This being 'PRIME' property) ...Like ask Arwen ...How many duds are actually from over there? Like what Arwen ...2 families is all I can think of right now!...So bring that up....Just say that this does not make any since to take away a PRIME money making property away from the community when only 2 or so families are from over there!

• Legolas
    Legolas

Mel...I just confirmed it with Arwen...There is only 'ONE' couple ( Older no kids) that is from that community that pays taxes....Bring that up!

• arwen
    arwen

Can anyone help Meljon with statements for the meeting tonight. Does anyone have links to questions such as paying taxes, voting,? Please post them soon as time is running out!!! Tonight is the meeting..Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, what he needs is information about the size of the building, parking lot, lighting, how many people will be attending, how many congregations use the building, if it is true in his country that religious groups do not pay property tax, that meetings are held on Sunday and Saturday mornings, as well as two evenings a week. Consider the noise, traffic, lighting issues if in a residential area.

Whether JWs vote or not is not the issue. This is a property concern and how the use will impact on the neighbors and the neighborhood.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit