Do You Think ENGLISH Should Be The Official Language In America?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    I assume what people mean by "proper" Engish is American Standard English--a dialect that NO one speaks, mind you.

This is true. However, I will speak in layman's terms so maybe you can get a better understanding to a point I tried to put across - to which I must have failed.

"Proper" "Correct English" "Comprehensible word usage" Maybe this will ease some aid into my post for those whom may have not grasped the idea to my thought process.

Words being used today are not utilized with the same meaning. Slang terms are overly used in America today(in my opinion). Example. That is so "Sick": meaning that is so "Cool" "Awesome" Outrageous". When I use the word "Sick", I refer the meaning of the term to suggest that I am not feeling well, or something maybe grotesque.

To make my point Short and Simple.......Use proper words at the proper time for others to Comprehend!

Brooke

• glitter
    glitter

I could care less to what language that is spoken. Proper English would be more to my liking, rather than what is used today.

I think you'll find you COULDN'T care less. Sorry... *grin*.

• undercover
    undercover

Which version of "english" should be the official version...

Southern.... we'uns think 'at Angleesh is the on'y speech 'at only be used in Amerka.

Jersy.... Yo, baddabingbaddaboom, whatchagonnadoaboudit

Texas.... Waaallll, I'll tell ya pardnah

I saw an interview with a rap artist the other day. He was speaking English (I think) but I couldn't understand over half of what he was saying.

So what if we make English the "official" language. People are still going to speak what they want, the language will continue to evolve and each region will have it's on unique way of talking complete with words that people from other parts of the country won't get.

Look at Great Britain. English may be the common language but people in Wales and Scotland speak other languages as well. Their land mass is a whole lot smaller than ours and they don't seem to have a problem with different dialects and languages.

It seems that America, despite our foreign policies of the last half century, is still very much of an isolationist type nation. We coccoon ourselves from the world around us, either afriad of or prejudiced against anything that might upset our view of things or our way of living.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I could care less to what language that is spoken. Proper English would be more to my liking, rather than what is used today.

COULDN'T care less. Sorry... *grin*.
    Funny, you caught that. Excuse my poor Americanized speech! Brooke

• ballistic
    ballistic

I've just heard your license to use the English language expires this weekend. Don't forget to re-new it or you won't get fixes and updates automatically.

• caligirl
    caligirl

YES!!!!!

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    I've just heard your license to use the English language expires this weekend. Don't forget to re-new it or you won't get fixes and updates automatically

Apparently, this is true. Oops, sorry. Wrong thread.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Those would be the politicians from the Crack Smoking Party right?

Yes, that would Harry Reid, D-NV, and Senate Minority Leader. So your allusion to the "Crack Smoking Party" is appropriate.

Also, I think it would a good idea to end the retarding of immigrant assimilation into American society. This is the issue with making English the official language of the U.S. Not, as some would allege, a zenophobic mentality of Americans. That is the liberal cope-out, IMO.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The timing of this proposal (with the current immigration debate happening in America) cannot be coincidental.

It seems that this should be tied in with any immigration reform.

Standing on its own, what merit does this proposal have? What are you going to do if someone cannot understand or speak enough English? Who judges what is "enough"? Do you revoke the green card or immigration document if they don't meet some standard?

What, exactly, is the threat this proposal is addressing?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think we should wait till we have a president who can speak it to make it official.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit