Do You Think ENGLISH Should Be The Official Language In America?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

i dont beleve that to manny poeple mazzacare the english langage Blondy.

• kid-A
    kid-A

My country is bilingual (french/english) and its always been an advantage in my life (professionally, culturally and socially) being able to speak two languages and enjoy

the french and english culture together. Many countries in Europe and around the world have several official languages. As for the States, I really have no idea what the general consensus

is. Historically, you are clearly a monolithic English speaking culture but the Spanish speakers are increasing exponentially so my guess would be in 20-30 years, the USA will likely

become an English/Spanish bilingual country.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I think English should be the official language in the US. When do you plan to introduce it, and do you want to borrow some Brits to teach it?

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

Joe Grundy: LOL

• John Doe
    John Doe

I assume what people mean by "proper" Engish is American Standard English--a dialect that NO one speaks, mind you. Standard English follows so many illogical twists and turns that it's no better than any other dialect spoken. To be prudish about someone's spoken tongue is rather foolish, imho.

• yucca
    yucca

I have always thought the schools should teach sign language to children in school> I think it would be good for schools in every country. My grandson met a little deaf boy and they became friends buy it was hard because my grandson did not know sign language. My grandson was learning but then the boy moved away. Most elderly get hard of hearing so families could communicate with them. We have an elderly neighbor even with hearing aids she cannot hear well. We get a lot of people from other countries in Ca. I have had people at disneyland from other countries try to talk to me and it is too hard but if everyone knew sign language we could communicate. So I think sign language should be the universal language of the world.

• juni
    juni

If English is made mandatory, then it will benefit all economically. There are always going to be those who spell the word - "congratulations" as "congradulations". What galls me are those people who are writing on billboards, signs on stores, etc. and there are misspelled words. If you don't know ask Webster. He's the one responsible for our present day English which is different from Brit English.

Juni

• minimus
    minimus

Juni, how will this benefit all economically?

• juni
    juni

I used to work by the University of Madison and we had a lot of students from all over the world. Also, parents visiting their kids. It was hard at times to communicate w/them what they needed and also for them w/me. As some of the people knew no English or very broken.

In business people have to know what the other is trying to communicate in order to meet their needs. That's why foreign people who want to do business in the US know English as well as their native language when they return to their business. It's a world wide market and knowing English is very important. Thus it does affect the economics of countries and thereby the world market.

Juni

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Do You Think ENGLISH Should Be The Official Language In America?

SI!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit