Do You Think ENGLISH Should Be The Official Language In America?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• uninformed
    uninformed

yes

u

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

think that English should definately be the official languge in America. It has been for years, so why change it? If we go to anither country like France, Spain, Africa, etc... they use their official language.

Ummm last I checked AFRICA WAS A CONTINENT YOU SILLY WABBIT, and which Spain were you talking about? Spanish Spain or BASQUE Spain where Arabic is the official language? France is more of a melting pot than the US. Last time I was in Marseilles I heard at least SIX languages being spoken with frequency. Of course Marseilles was founded by the Greeks 3,000 years ago...... But that's about par for the course for those who chime in on this kind of post; undereducated and uninformed (unless you are being sarcastic maybe but somehow I doubt it.) MAybe you should move to Canada to get away from the dreaded bi-lingual bug. OH NOES that's right! They speak FRENCH THERE! Maybe you want to check out our neighbor to the South, Mexico? OH NOES! They teach OVER 60 languages in the public schools there. We're surrounded by those bi-lingual people! Better build a wall or they will come here and talk their language! The sad part is we really ARE going to build a wall. Sorry buddy but it looks like you need to man up a bit and globalize because the US is the only modern nation to practice xenophobia.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    I think we should wait till we have a president who can speak it to make it official.

Awww, let him be. He's just misunderstandified.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Considering we are talking America and not England the official language should be Cherokee.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Considering we are talking America and not England the official language should be Cherokee.

Perhaps it should be Navaho or Hopi or Tewa or Lakota? Or are you just partial towards Cherokee?

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Oui

Da

Ja

• sir82
    sir82

Um, pardon my ignorance, but...

What exactly would this accomplish?

OK, so suppose Congress says "Hear ye, hear ye...we proclaim that English is the official language of the United States".

And.....?

What exactly is now changed? What, in practical terms, is different about life in the United States after this bold and magnificent proclamation?

• minimus
    minimus

It's all about dem Mexicans and Al Qaeda, sir.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Whichever of the Native Indian language's is the most convenient.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Standing on its own, what merit does this proposal have? What are you going to do if someone cannot understand or speak enough English? Who judges what is "enough"? Do you revoke the green card or immigration document if they don't meet some standard?

What, exactly, is the threat this proposal is addressing?

The proposal addresses NOTHING.... it's a political ploy to make some people think our politicians are REALLY doing something "comprehensive". It has no TEETH. At first they voted to make it our national langage... then they had to revote stating that it's our 'unifying' language because the thought the first vote might upset some laws regarding materials in other languages. What a bunch of hoo-wee.

Both parties are a joke. This year, I'm voting ALL incumbants out.... no matter what party, no matter what issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit