Do You Think ENGLISH Should Be The Official Language In America?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• detective
    detective

The purpose, it seems, would be to limit the amount of letters one must place on the average road sign. For example, a "no turns" sign wouldn't also read "no turno" or "no turnee"- thereby saving petroleum which is a fraction component of the base in road sign paint.

Okay, that last part is pretty much crap.

However, I doubt this so much about decreasing the usage of alternate languages in the United States and is more likely about finding a more er,"universal" language that could be used in the everyday mundane life experiences (like one-language road signage etc.)

• sir82
    sir82

Aren't road signs all pretty much one language already? I mean, where I live, there are well over 50,000 Hispanic immigrants in the metro area, the vast majority "undocumented", and the number grows by the hundreds weekly.

I have yet to see a single dual-language road sign.

The most I've seen are a handful of Spanish-language billboards, and one grocery store puts out bilingual ads.

Again, I have to ask, once Congress makes this loud and munificntly grand proclamation, "English is now our official language!!!", what, exactly, is going to change?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. In fact, it is in many states. This decision is made (currently) by each State Legislature. It is reasonable for a country to have one official language that is a requirement for immigrants. A melting pot blends many diverse things into one new thing, often with more strength than the several parts originally had.

A mixing bowl is what procudes the conflict torn France, it is a misnomer to label France a melting pot due to allowing many (any) language by immigrants and strict permission for retention of all cultural aspects of the nation of origin.

A mixing bowl is what is promoted by many in this country as a means to preserve heritage. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the flood of immigrants to this country were leaving their heritage behind and adopting...forging...a new heritage for themselves and their families in the USA.

I am in favor of having a US culture that is separate and distinct from the culture of the rest of the world. Otherwise, in what way will we be unique?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Brilliantly put, Auld Soul.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    This year, I'm voting ALL incumbants out.... no matter what party, no matter what issue.

Same here.

And at the state level I plan to find out who are the independent candidates that are not beholding to either Party's purse strings that can reform the handling of state elctoral votes such that an independent candidate has a chance of becoming President.

Respectfully,

AuldSoul

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Both parties are a joke. This year, I'm voting ALL incumbants out.... no matter what party, no matter what issue.

I'm with you. This nation has become the most hated, most laughed at on the nation in just a few short years. Now we can add "broke" to that list as well. Amazing how they pull the red-herrings like "control the borders" out of their hats when the latest "war on whatever" proves to be unwinnable.

Whatever, let that picture of flight-suit Bush on the aircraft carrier with the "Mission Accomplished" banner waving behind him be the legacy his party leaves. Wasn't the "mission" to capture what's-his-name the Al-Quedah guy?

And no I won't do them the honor of researching the spelling

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

MinsterAmos

BASQUE Spain where Arabic is the official language

I think you're mixing up today's Basques, who speak Esqueran, with the Moorish Spain run by Muslims in the early centuries of the second millenium. That's where Spanish gets it Arabic loan words from, although it is still largely a Romanse language, i.e. a dialect of Latin that has become a language.

I think rather than making English the offical language (not that it would be then, you guys speak American in all its glorious forms, which is a dialect of English, like what we British people speak, in'it?), they should ensure everyone has a decent enough education they learn to speak, read and write in English no matter what their cradle-tounge is.

If everyone CAN speak English (which is what this is trying to achieve by proclamation), there's no need to make it official.

A live in Holland. People are stupidly multi-lingual here. Most people (60%+) are trilingual, Dutch (obviously) with English, and either French or German or another language at conversational or near-conversational levels. Around 30% are quadralinguals. Luxembourgers also get to speak Luxemburgish, and are actually taught in different languages at different points of their education.

I'm struggling with two...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Abbadon

What do you call someone who only speaks one language?

/American

• John Doe
    John Doe
    This is true. However, I will speak in layman's terms so maybe you can get a better understanding to a point I tried to put across - to which I must have failed. "Proper" "Correct English" "Comprehensible word usage" Maybe this will ease some aid into my post for those whom may have not grasped the idea to my thought process. Words being used today are not utilized with the same meaning. Slang terms are overly used in America today(in my opinion). Example. That is so "Sick": meaning that is so "Cool" "Awesome" Outrageous". When I use the word "Sick", I refer the meaning of the term to suggest that I am not feeling well, or something maybe grotesque. To make my point Short and Simple.......Use proper words at the proper time for others to Comprehend! Brooke

I understand your gist perfectly. I also understand the simple fact that language evolves over time. No language is static. What you refer to as slang is a tool used by people to identify with others in their social communities. I, again say that you're being prudish. Their is nothing incomprehensible about using the word "sick" as a synonym for "cool." In fact, "cool" originally had nothing to do with goodness or being in vogue. Now, did you grasp my point? Should I simplify more?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Another little bit of info for you... The British flag, known as the Union Jack is not described anywhere in English Law and never has been. It was something which evolved over time and became commonly accepted. So theoretically, anyone can make up a flag and say this is the British flag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit