Better off Poor in UK than Rich in US!

by Seeker4 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

National Public Radio this morning had a story about a study of middle-aged (55-64 yo) whites in the Uk compred to the US. They were shocked at the results.
    The study was done to try to find out the effects of poverty on health , which is why they just studied whites, to eliminate the effects of race.
    When they put all the data together, they found that Americans are twice as likely to have diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and a few other diseases as our UK counterparts!
    They've got a few theories why (greater stress in US, less socializing, longer work hours)), but it has to be studied further. Some of the researchers didn't believe the results when they first came in, but it seems the data holds up. In fact, the poorest third in the UK were healthier than the richest third in the US.
    You can probably find more info on this on the NPR website.
    OK, all our UK brethern, what are you doing right? It's sure not drinking less, the food, or not smoking!
    S4

• Jourles
    Jourles

Is it because our "fast food" is much more crappier than what the folks eat over there? I've heard that the frying oil is worse here in the USA.(can't remember the type)

If I had to name two things which are probable causes for these diseases, they would be fast food and soda. I don't know why a lot of people can't see that it is killing them.

• Jourles
    Jourles

And when you combine poverty with fast food prices, I bet it's hard to pass up the "dollar" menus that most fast food restaurants offer. Of course someone who is strapped for cash is going to buy a 99 cent double cheeseburger over a $3 bunch of organic carrots.

• breeze
    breeze

Maybe it is the cold damp July weather that suits you guys. Give me a day on the beach in Florida and the bikinis .... England appeals to me for a trip but a steady diet would be depressing.

My wife works for a large American Company that has branch in the UK and the people there woek much longer hours than in the US. They are more uptight and are very arguemenative.

BREEZE

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    They were shocked at the results.

You're kidding right?! Read what Jourles said then read it again. Plus, portions are huge in the US. And cheap. Unfortunately MacAmerica is exporting this crapola around the world and obesity rates are rising everywhere.

Nic'

[climbs down from Simon's high horse]

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    They are more uptight and are very arguemenative.

We bloody well are not!

• breeze
    breeze

Does this study address the longevity UK -vs- America.

Do UK citizens live much longer then?

BREEZE

• ballistic
    ballistic

Things are changing rapidly though. One third of school age (up to 16) children are over-weight or obese. This was not the case with my generation (not so long ago ). I think it is to do with the fact people are becoming more affluent and having money directly affects how much people eat and what they choose. That may explain why America had the problem they do sooner, because they had a time of plenty whereas Britain took a long time to recover from World War 2 (rationing lasted into the mid 1950's.) Now many of our fast food chains springing up are American.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

At least our grammar and spelling are up to par.

• trevor
    trevor

When we were in California the hotel staff were shock when my wife and I declined to wait 20 minutes for the hotel courtesy car and walked the 10 minutes to the Getty Museum.

Americans drive everywhere. Still if I was that fat I would opt to be driven as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit