What kind of funeral will you have?

by MsMcDucket 59 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I know that this is a morbid topic, but I often wonder what kind of funeral that I should have. I mean, I'm not associated with any religion. I don't want a preacher there speaking about the afterlife or trying to recruit followers. So, does anyone have an idea of how to have a regular old non-religious funeral? I've all ready told my husband that I wanted to be cremated, and not to worry about spending big bucks on my funeral.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Mine is planned and spelled out in my will....

I did 26+ years in Law Enforcement and so I will have the Flag Draped Box, Taps, Firing Team, Folded Flag for my wife, etc....but straying from the strictly traditional...there will also be funny stories (I'm a lot of laughs if you know me) and a barbershop quarter (I sing) singing an old Civil War Hymn called "Vacant Chair". I love the old hymn...and I use a wheelchair so it is sort of a pun...vacant chair..get it ? LOL

RandyW

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i have no one that will even claim my body.

so i guess i'll get state cremation or something.

if i HAD a funeral, my song i want played is "if you could read my mind" gordon lightfoot

• blondie
    blondie

Plan ahead or your JW relatives will plan it for you.

Where---some neutral location, a park a mountainside?

How--cremation, cheapest, buy an urn at the local garden shop, or have your exectuor dump the ashes at a favorite spot...the Grand Canyon.

Who--have an executor, get a will, spell it out.

Other--music, who to invitie, who not to invite, words to be said by you, who will speak for you. I know a family that has an appointed eulogist, young guy, but he captures the essence of the person and why they will be remembered.

Blondie

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I love the old hymn...and I use a wheelchair so it is sort of a pun...vacant chair..get it ? LOL

Yep, I get it, rwagoner! I always like the old pun where the husband said "She always said that her girdle was killing her!" I don't know if I could get someone to slip that one into my eulogy!

Here's another morbid joke for you!

An elderly woman from Brooklyn decided to prepare her will and make her final requests. She told her rabbi she had two final requests. First, she wanted to be cremated, and second, she wanted her ashes scattered over Bloomingdales. "Bloomingdales?" the rabbi exclaimed. "Why Bloomingdales?" "Then I'll be sure my daughters visit me twice a week."

I should change "Bloomindales" to the Kingdom Hall; and the rabbi to my husband.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

LOL cute...

• joe_black
    joe_black

Well if the JW's have any say about it, Armageddon will come and the vultures will be conducting my funeral, but..............if I happen to die in this "system of things"(JW catch phrase) I guess I'll burn and hopefully my friends and family will throw my ashes in the BBQ pit and have a steak on me!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I know a family that has an appointed eulogist

Blondie, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as an "Eulogist"! I learn new stuff everyday here! Free2beme, that's why I'm on here all the time!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I guess I'll burn and hopefully my friends and family will throw my ashes in the BBQ pit and have a steak on me!

Hi Joe! I think that there's a cheaper way to have a steak! God, you'd be really "going all in for it" that way!

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

I want to be cremated. no service. no sermon. I want my husband to spread my ashes out at the park where we like to take the kids and fish.

It would make me mad if my relatives come to my funeral since they made it their duty to shun me and make sure everyone else is doing the same. Since I am in a line of work that I see a lot of funerals. I don't want one. I have been meaning to make a will. I just don't know how to get it done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit