OK believers, time to put up or shut up...

by Gregor 238 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gregor
    Gregor

PS to my last post.

My original question re: "why [would] a loving God allow evil,...etc"

That question was framed in the context of the Christian dogma, which also includes the Watchtower teachings, ie, sin... sacrifice of perfect blood to pay the tab..., believe it... and be saved to everlasting life, physically or as a spirit. This is the teaching I was challenging.

You have brought in a lot of deep conceptual thoughts that, correct me if I misunderstood, are way outside of this basic 2000 yr old teaching of the book popular known as the Bible.

You bring up possible things that, all I can say is, Who am I to say them nay? and conversely, who are you to say them yea?

They are some damned interesting ideas.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Gregor,

Cool. Now I'd like to drag this one small step further since we have established a possibility. I've already stated that scientific proof is outside the realm of possiblity, and kid-A has confirmed that statement, so for purposes of discussion and thoughts exercises "possibilities" are unfortunately the limit of our possible exploration.

I wish to address one point you raised, namely "non-believer in anything supernatural."

I submit that if it exists, it is not supernatural. This is true of anything. Not just God. Only that which is beyond nature is supernatural. On this point, I imagine we are also in agreement. For instance, lthough I have never observed wind, I have observed and personally experienced enough of its effects that I am convinced of its existence. The fact that wind is invisible does not render wind supernatural. I have never seen gravity either, but ... well you get the idea. That which exists is not supernatural. So, I agree with you, I am a non-believer in anything supernatural.

If you showed someone today a televised performance of "Hound Dog" by Elvis from the Ed Sullivan show, would they think it was supernatural that they could watch something that happened many years ago? Would they believe it was miraculous that a dead person could speak, and dance, and sing, and entertain us long after their death?

What if you showed it to scientists who lived in, oh...let's not go too far back...say 1832? Would it be miraculous to them? Supernatural? Every single particle of matter required for television reception and transmission existed on earth in 1832, why would they be amazed? You would likely be burned at the stake as a witch in certain places, but that is another discussion entirely.

How about a cell phone with a camera? If you showed that device, working, operable, to scientists in the 1890s-1920s it would be a miracle.

How would they describe what they witnessed to their friends? "No. That's what I'm telling you. I saw no power source, no cords or wires of any kinds. He had a PICTURE, in FULL COLOR of his friend printed somehow onto the inside of this thing, but the picture could CHANGE without removing it first. There were little lighted buttons all over it, and when he pressed one of them we HEARD his friend's voice. At first we though it might be a miniature recording device of some sort, like a drum scroll secreted inside that tiny device, but he invited us to test that it actually was his friend. He could not possibly have planned for us to ask his friend to state the first 8 prime numbers, followed by a horrible rendition of our National Anthem. It was REAL I tell you! I have no idea how it was done...but I held the device myself!"

Now, how would scientists in the year 200 BC react? Do you get my point? That is what a miracle is, the observation or experience of something which cannot be explained and often cannot even be fully comprehended. Any explanation of what is observed is garbled by the inability to articulate that for which there is no speech part. Linguistic shortcomings get in the way. If you don't believe me, try explaining to someone how to load and run a piece of software onto a PC without using a single term that came into existence post-1930.

But, if you're talking about the possibility that somewhere out there in the great unknown there is an intelligent, all powerful force/being that is (here I'm not too clear) guiding things?

How powerful would intelligent beings have to be before any humans that encountered them would regard them as all-powerful? I mean, the Borg on Star Trek Generations/Voyager were pretty crafty but they weren't "all-powerful." They did have all the technology from dozens of populated worlds at their disposal, and for all that I believe they were portrayed as rather inept in exploiting that advantage.

Humans are pretty pathetic, physically, when it comes right down to it. We have a vast capacity for imagining technology beyond our current capacity to innovate. We can imagine a "replicator" of a sort that orders raw matter into usable products for consumption. But we have a real problem taking our imagination one step further, and imagining life and technologies that exist outside our plane of existence which can nonetheless influence our plane of existence.

Such aren't supernatural, if they exist. But how powerful would they have to be for us to perceive them as "all-powerful?" Certainly, how powerful for someone living 2,000 years ago to consider them as such? You would be considered all-powerful to someone living in the Congo in 1650 AD. They would be in awe of your "miracles" even as Native Americans were in awe of things such as compasses (the needle moved by itself!), matches, muskets, horses, iron, mirrors, combs, etc.

My main contention is that there is more in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. We keep finding out the truth of that, and we keep forgetting it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• trevor
    trevor
    But, if you're talking about the possibility that somewhere out there in the great unknown there is an intelligent, all powerful force/being

You are describing the potentiality that has expressed itself and made all that is potential, possible and manifest. To guide the outcome would be contradictory.

This ride is the real thing and any outcome is possible. That is what makes life the ultimate adventure.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Gregor,

You have brought in a lot of deep conceptual thoughts that, correct me if I misunderstood, are way outside of this basic 2000 yr old teaching of the book popular known as the Bible.

The 2,000 year old book supposedly quotes one of these beings saying, "Your ways are not my ways, and your thoughts are not my thoughts." Another passage mentions how "there is no searching out of his understanding." Another, "O, how deep are God’s treasures and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments and his ways!"

As to applying our logic to our worship, believers in the Bible are told to do so. The Greek word logikos and derivatives are never framed in a negative light, nor is testing or proving ever disparaged—in fact, in the Bible people were repeatedly instructed to do both and praised for having done so. If a person is actually doing this they would never be trapped by thinking that a 2,000-year-old book should be the end of discovery of God. If a believer actually subscribes to the teachings of the Bible then they must acknowledge that to ignore reality is to deny God, many believers are very uncomfortable with certain realities. I would say that is more because of the influence of tradition than anything the Bible directly causes.

I'd say that is in keeping with the ideas raised in my post. But you get to decide that (and everything else) for yourself.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I think those who react to someone elses opinion and try to name call and tear them down or calls them indoctrinated by the WT are the real ones who are still indoctrinated. Because that is what the WT taught them. If they disagree, instead of asking why someone feels the way they do, and getting more information, they just react with a disrespectful response to make fun of the person's position.

This is exactly what the WT does to people outside of the JWs.

This is a good lesson for me and others who are believers, not to even respond to someone who starts off being confrontational in the very beginning. I only responded to try to give a limited opinion which is not even the whole story, because I thought I could help someone who is very angry, feel better. My mistake, some will just never feel better, they enjoy being bitter.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Trevor / AuldSoul:

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    This is exactly what the WT does to people outside of the JWs.

lovelylil,

I agree. Jesus said we'd know them by their fruits. Those who ACT like the JWs are the ones who prove they're closer to the organization's thinking, methods and practices. One of the most disrespectful and insulting things one can suggest to a person who has struggled to get free from Watchtower domination is that the person is STILL in some way indoctrinated by the organization.

The suggestion that someone we disagree with is 'falling back into the Watchtower quagmire, without the person even being aware of it' is very unfair. It's sheer phoniness and hypocrisy to pretend that what the person says is "very scary" and "a cause of concern."

I, for one, appreciate the points you've made in this thread and the way you've made them.

Frank

• Gregor
    Gregor

AuldSoul,

Let me try to be clearer. Maybe the scriptural passages you refer to were meant to imply some of the greater cosmic possibilities you have expounded on. I DON'T KNOW, and have said as much. But I feel strongly enough about mainstream Christian theology to challenge it outright, based on logic, common sense, mankinds religous history and my up close and personal experience with the Watchtower Society, which I feel is a pretty good model in many ways of the miriad Christian denominations and sects. Do you consider yourself a Christian in the general sense I outlined in my previous post? If not, maybe you're looking for some disagreement that doesn't exist? I don't know, that's for you to say. I have enjoyed your thoughts and others. They have been intellectually stimulating.

Earlier today, under another topic, I explained the reasons I generated this topic to begin with. I am putting a link to it below. I stand by it.

Lovelylil, I would appreciate it if you would read it also, if you haven't already. I sincerely apologize for labeling you as I did. That is not my style and I will try to do better. If you will consider forgiving me, I thank you.

please refer to: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/112546/1967587/post.ashx#1967587

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Gregor,

Apology accepted. I wish you peace. Lilly

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Gregor,

mainstream Christian theology

I apologize. I thought the thread was directed to "believers," not to mainstream Christian theologians. I hope my thoughts that do not fit the classic mold (aged fungus?) were welcome despite their divergence from your concept of theology.

I consider myself a Christian, but I don't feel a need to express my concept of Christianity in terms for public consumption. I believe Christianity is based in a restoration of a relationship that was compromised and nearly destroyed. But beyond that I don't think there is any need to specify particulars other than to say that the Bible evidences expressions of people who were attempting to describe the indescribable in the best terms available to them.

I have only known JW dogma and my own reasonings for the past 21 years, but I am finding that quite a few people have not stood still in "mainstream" theology. The "stream" is not what it once was (thankfully). Perhaps the theology that you are wanting to disagree with won't exist in another 30 years. Wouldn't that be nice?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit