JW's TORTURES DAUGHTER TO DEATH

by DannyHaszard 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I skipped over the story because I read it before and I cried for about a week afterwards. I remember many in my old Kingdom Halls that would bring wooden spoons into the hall bathroom to beat the kids with. Or belts, or other sticks. I can remember once a women who was studying said she would NEVER go to a KH again, because one father hit his six year old daughter so loudly, you could hear it all the way up to the front row! I had so many tell me to beat my kids into submission. I never did it, thank God. But many feel that "spare the rod, spoil the child" means to actually hit with a Rod. It does not, the Rod represents dicipline or giving dicipline, not hitting with a Dam Rod.

One more thing: one day I was visiting an elders wife (who was nuts by the way and on lots of meds), she was telling me and another sister that her three year old kept telling her no (which is normal at that age), and she got tired of the disrespect and, her words here not mine - "I beat his bottom black and blue". And she did, the kid was covered with bruises. The one sister just stood there while I reamed into this lady about how it was abusive and she had better get help, so forth and so on. And she looked at me and in such a calm, freaky voice she says "yeah, thats what Bob (her husband) said too". But, mind you if it was my kid, I would have left this mad lady and took the child with me. He did not seem too concerned as he kept leaving the child with her to go to work. And this kid was terrified of his mother! It made me sick. I told her If I ever see that again I would personally call DSS. Come to think of it, I should have called anyway.

• sf
    sf

The uncle is an idiot. It had everything to do with religion:

http://www.nospank.net/n-i65.htm

Biblical beating kills girl: cops By Maureen O'Donnell, Ana Mendieta and Annie Sweeney, Staff Reporters
    Chicago Sun-Times, November 13, 2001

The parents accused of beating their 12-year-old daughter to death have told police they were meting out the biblical punishment of "40 lashes minus one, three times," detectives said Monday.

Constance Slack, a registered nurse at a children's hospital, gagged her daughter, Laree, while she was strapped down to a futon, police said. Her father, Larry Slack, then repeatedly hit the child with an inch-thick section of rubberized electrical cable filled with strands of wire, police said. She died of internal bleeding.

"It was horrific,'' one seasoned police officer said.

The parents were upset that Laree was being "uncooperative" after they ordered their chilldren to find a smock with credit cards inside Saturday night, police said. Larry Slack is a firm believer in corporal punishment, and he and his wife decided to administer discipline from the Bible, investigators said.

"It was his attempt to teach his daughter about responsibility,'' Area 2 Sgt. Stan Salabura said.

Both parents are devout Jehovah's Witnesses who home-schooled their six children, ages 8 to 17, police and neighbors said.

"He was a strict person. Whenever he came out, the kids would straighten right up and pay attention to him,'' said a neighbor who didn't want to be identified.

But friends were shocked by the allegations. "He was a very peaceful guy and a very smart person. And he was very religious," said the Rev. Wayne Lewis Jr., who attended Bible studies in the home. "The first time we met he was trying to convert me, but I am a Baptist minister.'"

The Slack home on South Brandon stood empty Monday, calm, with no traces of the tragedy. The family's two cars were parked outside in the 7900 block. Along the stairway to the second floor were a training manual for Jehovah's Witnesses, stapled sheets with math problems, a grill, a basketball hoop and a Domestic Violence Safety Plan issued by the Cook County state attorney's office.

The Slacks were a quiet family who stayed away from their neighbors, hidden behind a 6-foot-high wooden fence that Larry Slack built to replace a chain-link one.

Larry Slack, 42, is a 23-year employee of the CTA who was known as a "good machinist and a hard worker,'' Salabura said. Constance Slack, also 42, is believed to work at La Rabida Children's Hospital, he said.

Both parents have been charged with first-degree murder and also aggravated battery of a child for the alleged beating of their 8-year-old son, also on Saturday night.

The Slack's five other children all showed indications of physical abuse. They were taken into state custody and placed with relatives, authorities said. Larry Slack was treated at Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center Sunday night after allegedly attempting to kill himself while turning himself in to police at Area 2 detective headquarters. He was in the Central District lock-up Monday.

In a statement Monday, the Slack family said it was cooperating with police.

"We loved Laree dearly,'' said Leroy Slack, who identified himself as Larry Slack's uncle and a family spokesman. "We're very disturbed over the circumstances surrounding her death."

Contributing: Cathleen Falsani

_______

It's hard to believe the relatives, especially the idiot uncle, had no idea these kids were being beaten tortured.

sKally

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

The family home schooled the kids, so they were really isolated.

Someone mentioned the cause of death, where did you see what the CCME ruled as the cause of her death? Everything I have read to date did not give a coroner's ruling. I tried to find out if she died from suffocation, strangulation or internal injuries and came up with blank.

When I was growing up there was a case in Kenosha WI where a JW guy beat his wife to death w/ a baseball bat. Later it was discovered that he was having an affair. Last I heard, he was still in prision but was reinstated and considered in good standing.

• sf
    sf

Why Does Religion Play Such a Heavy Role in This Story?

http://www.truerwords.net/1301

This story at the Chicago Tribune is disturbing. Wait! Before you read it, I must warn you that it really is a true horror story about a twelve year old girl that was beaten death earlier this week by her parents.

Now, if you still want to read it, go ahead.

It's been over an hour since I read it. Some of the shock and disgust has worn off, finally. Unfortunately it's been replaced by the sub-theme that runs through that article: the idea that religion could somehow be blamed for Laree's final nightmare.

Here are some quotes that demonstrate my point:

"Larry and Constance Slack, described by neighbors as devoutly religious, delivered 160 blows to their daughter Laree..."
    (Paragraph 2)
    "described by authorities and neighbors as Jehovah's Witnesses who were so strict with their six children that they were not even allowed to play..."
    (Paragraph 5)
    "They also said that they knew him to be deeply religious, but they added it was unclear whether Slack was abiding by some religious mandate."
    (Paragraph 28)
    "But Leon Slack, an uncle of Laree's, said religion had nothing to do with what happened. "Our family loved Laree dearly," read a statement the family released Tuesday."
    (Paragraph 29)
    "What happened was a tragedy," he said. "It was not in line with religion."
    (Paragraph 30)

If you've read the full story, then tell me: why do you think the authors continually bring up the parents' religion? Why does the uncle need to specifically say that this wasn't "in line with religion"? What's immediately clear to me is that the parents are sick enough to do something like this in spite of apparently being deeply "religious".

They pointed out that the parents are JW's. Fine... but then what does that have to do with anything else? Who in their right mind would think the doctrines of a fairly common, modern "Christian" religion could have anything to do with the beating-death of a twelve year old girl?!

I've seen a quiet undertone of distrust towards "religion" and "religious people" all over society (in the media) that seems to have become a little less quiet lately, especially since 9/11. It just doesn't make any sense! Religion isn't the reason there are terrorists, or that they attacked the U.S. Religion is the excuse... and in the case of the little girl in Chicago it's not even that, as "religion" has nothing to do with it at all!

Anybody who knows me knows that I'm deeply religious. My beliefs are down at my core, and they've shaped me, made me who I am, and I try to let them guide everything I do in one way or another (emphasis on "try"). Does that mean that my neighbors should expect me to kill somebody, or "drink the Kool-Aid", someday? (Of course not.)

This makes me sick. The true religion is personal, powerful, enlightening, sharing, caring, and harmless. That some (many) people and groups have used "religion" as a means for personal gain -- or worse, as the means for causing another's loss -- does not mean that "religion" or "religious people" are somehow bad.

So many people crow about the unfair, imbalanced influence that the "religious right" has on the U.S. political system. The "religious right" political bodies bug me too, much of the time, but what really saddens me is this apparent feeling that they shouldn't be heard at all.

I feel sorry for little Laree, but sorrier still for anyone who would blame "religion" for this society's problems.

[ Scroll down the page for the discussion page ]

sKally

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I was born to devout JW parents in 1957,a father who went from 5 year pioneer to 3 small babies without a clue to parenting skills.My poor mother had been seriously traumatized growing up and was legally blind.My dad married my mom flat broke after having spent an inflationary adjusted $50,000 missionary bank account.Our Jehovah's Witness family life was total hell.

Yes meetings meant beatings it was pure child abuse to expect toddlers to sit still late at night for two hours of cult indoctrination.--Danny Haszard

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "It got out of hand," Streff said of the discipline. "It absolutely got out of hand."

No sht!

How about we tie your ass to a bed and let someone beat you with an electric cable and see if you still think things "got out of hand".

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Poor baby. Poor children. What a horrible horrible way to die.

We have a 12-year-old daughter who presently thinks her life is so tragically unfair because she is restricted from any electronics (computer, TV, Game Cube) yesterday and today because she started and escalated an argument with her 10-year-old brother. He was restricted for one day because of yelling at her and pushing her, but she got a worse punishment because she's older and (a) shouldn't have started it, and (b) should have ENDED it.

Thank God neither of them will never know how bad it could be.

Nina

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I used to cringe when I was a witless and stories like this came out, because of all the crap I would have to field out on the doors. I used to have my pat answer ready "well we dont know the facts of the story, those people cant have been REAL Jehovahs Witnesses" etc etc

Im so ashamed I ever was a part of that oganisation that tolerates murder, and promotes physical abuse. EVIL EVIL EVIL. I hope they rot in hell.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm surprised that more isn't made of the SIZE of this electrical cord - it wasn't a wimpy little toaster cord - it was as big around as a man's thumb, and I would guess it weighed five pounds or more.

I hope those parents get to call on jehovah's name a LOT while they're in lock-up.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I NEED A COPY OF THE WATCHTOWER ARTICLE that was about a year ago on child discipline. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. If you have it, please PM me.

So, does this horrible incident have anything with the recent "hype" about being loving parents and that Watchtower article on abuse my sister tried to shove down my throat? I just e-mailed my sister a copy of this news article.

Between this news and the "My Molester is a JW Elder" video, the JWs need to " eyes and smell the , the WTS is in disguise."

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit