Sign Governors' petition to President Bush to lower gas prices!

by FlyingHighNow 99 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Two, federally fund, I mean REALLY do it, alternative fuel sources and generously reward people who invest in it (i.e. hybred cars, solar power at home, etc.).

Good ideas, but this would not help the people who are hurt most by these high oil prices, people who cannot afford those alternative cars, etc.

Upside/Down, I respect my dad's intelligence wisdom and ideas more than yours. You aren't always the most balanced of posters. He is a scientist as are most of his circle of friends. They're big Bush lovers and even they can see the writing on the wall.

2. ; Gas prices need to be about 20 bucks a gallon so we will get serious about alt energy sources.

That's a fine idea as long as you don't send us into an economic suicide to do it. My guess is that the bottom third of earners and those on fixed incomes and people with smaller businesses would beg to differ with you on this assertion. You have lofty ideals, however screwing everyone but the wealthy is not the way to get people serious about conserving energy sources.

Wrecking the US economy, which will hurt the entire world economy, isn't going to solve pollution problems.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

By the way, I want to say I am proud of the intelligent contributions the women have made to this thread. Not that the guys haven't said some good things, but goodness, you gals rock!

Ballistic, you're a-ok. Not to worry.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    even they can see the writing on the wall.

What do they see? I'm surprised that "scientists" don't see throught this shallow endeavoer...but hey what do I know...

u/d(of the severely unbalanced class)

• Trace
    Trace
    I respect my dad's intelligence wisdom and ideas more than yours. You aren't always the most balanced of posters. He is a scientist as are most of his circle of friends.

If I get a note from my mommy can I use it to try to win an argument?

So because your daddy and his friends and a few vote-seeking governors say something about the almost unfathomable field of macro economics and geopolitical economic forces, you adopt their view?

Do you realize that you called others “gullible” in this thread?

I am not embarrassed except by some posters' apathy and gullability over this issue

You have yet to root out the JW mentality of looking to others to salve your discomfort over the disquieting world oil situation. You seem to want to point fingers and you seem to embrace easy fixes? A petition?

My heart goes out to you as you struggle from your obviously thick mental fog.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Nice try asswipe... That's more "spin" than Bill O'Reilly could drudge up...If I was a Witnoid...I'd be "stumbled"....NOT! FOAD and I mean it.

KMA!

When I'm emperor of the universe...you will cower in fear for your disrespect and lack of faith in Almighty u/d....mwwahhhhahahaha....!!!

I'll be in the Carribean in 9 days...and I'll drink about 50 margaritas in your honor...and unabashadly throw around my hard earned dollars like the fucking caplitalist bastard that I am....CHEERS! I might even pea in the ocean and contribute to global warming... do they have baby fur seals in the Carribean....cuz I'll bring a club... IDIOT!!!

u/d(of the "little guy" class)

u/d...no one needs to try to make a fool out of you...you are perfectly capable of it all by yourself!!! It's real IMPRESSIVE the way you can throw around those vulgar words!!!

Still looking for a solution from you...all I see is someone spouting out abusive empty speeches....I did learn a few more things about you as a person though.

Swalker (I thought you were smarter than to ask if there were baby fur seals in the Carribean! Also, you can either throw a pea in the ocean, or you can pee in the ocean...make up your mind!)

P.S. Have a nice trip and enjoy your margaritas...sounds like you need a few!

• Trace
    Trace

Swalker,

Ad hominum attacks. AGAIN !?!

Attack his arguments, not his language.

He called you a name, so …if you must…return the favor but let’s see some substance on the arguments, man.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    comparing the pay of American CEO's to their Japanese or European counterpart

So what... some American CEO's make bank...so? Apples and Oranges IMO.

Huh? Apples to Organges to compare CEO's in the US to those in Japan and Europe? Alrighty then.

If I were a pension funds manager and had money invested...

You're not... and I'm sure the reasons are numerous...

Great addition to the debate. Thanks for adding to the argument. Is this Rush?

huge coporations loosing millions while giving their CEO's big, fat paychecks

Uhhh...did I miss something...I thought we were talking about Exxon...a PROFITABLE company....don't mix issues. Of course I'm against what you mentioned...let's stay on topic.

So what did Mr. Raymond do to deserve a 400 million dollar retirement package?? Geez, answer this ONE question. PLEASE tell me!!!! I'm dying to know.

out what many huge companies do when they merge

We weren't discussing that...so why argue it? Different subject all together... and again I agree...dishonesty and cheating and stealing is bad...

And nothing like that happened in the oil industry, right???? Right??? Right?? Let's see it's 1999 Exxon and Mobil merge, thousands loose their jobs, ExxonMobil becomes the biggest U.S. company by revenue and has record profits. I'm sure everything was above board <<wink wink>>

Can anyone spell "HP"?

Are you referring to Hewlett Packard..? Cuz if you are what a coincidence, my current business partner was General Manager for them for 33 years... did quite well...but left when Carlie took over and drove it into the ground. Cest la vie!
    People think that stories like Enron or Tyco are the exception but the truth is it's rampant.

We were discussing OIL not the corruption of Corporations...and ALL countries have corrupt Corps. not just the US...puhleeez...

Oh yeah...back to oil and the "saints" who are in charge of it. Hmmm...now let's see here... One huge reason prices are tight because refinery capacity is very tight, oh, but guess what???? Since 1980 HALF of the refineries have been SHUT DOWN! Wow, imagine that....hmmmm..wonder who made that decision? Couldn't be big oil men? Did they have any idea what would happen in the future? Let's think about it...hmmm..I'm a big oil dude...shut down refineries....WOW, that will make my gas MORE expensive and I won't have to spend more money on building new ones! AWESOME! I deserve another 100 million dollars. Hmmm...I wonder if this will harm the country,,,,maybe, oh well. If the FTC or SEC decide to investigate I'll just give MY senator a call and remind him who financied his campaign. Yes, companies, even oil companies deserve to make mucho profit but not at the expense of the American consumer. Remeber last November when the big oil tycoons were called before a senate panel to answer their questions about the skyrocketing oil prices? Remember what happened when one senator wanted the big wigs sworn in? All hell broke loose and the head of the committee stood up for the poor ol' oil tycoons. Awwww... Well, since you're Mr. Big Business dude, tell me what Mr Raymond did to earn his 400 million dollar retirement package and tell me where the money came from.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

RB...he can't even get my sign right:

I really don't think he can answer your questions...

Swalker

• AdGod
    AdGod

Nothing like jumping into the fire on my first post here.

Cheap gas was an anomoly in the 90's. Welcome to the new realities of energy prices. Honestly, I would like to see gas at $ 4 to $ 5 a gallon. Only then will we get serious about energy savings. No, you don't need to buy a hybrid to get decent mileage. Diesel Jettas. 4 cyl. Accords. Crossover's instead of SUV's.

Not to be disrespectful, but no petitions or boycotts on buying on a certain day are going to work. Buying a more efficient vehicle or better yet, taking the subway or riding your bikes will really show them. Don't want to fuel Exxon's profits. Don't buy gas from them. Instead of being angry at oil prices going up, be thankful they were so cheap for so long. Gas prices will never drop back to where they were in the 90's. Get over it. Get used to it. Plan your purchases and work commute accordingly.

Instead we should be signing petitions to follow Brazil or Sweden's lead. We could have solved this problem with little pain over the past 20 years, but no one tackled it. Republican or democrat. Now it will be more painful. If we don't tackle it now it will be horrifically painful 10 or 20 years from now. None of this is really a surprise so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Before I get attacked for this view, yes I work full-time and can "afford" it. However, I live far below my means and don't spend 110% of what I make. Another $75 a month for gas doesn't really affect me much. Work one extra shift of overtime per month to make up the difference if it's too much for you. It seems as the anger is more directed at society in general than the issue of gas prices in my opinion.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Welcome adgod I agrees with you for one.

That's a fine idea as long as you don't send us into an economic suicide to do it.

Economy be damned. There are more important things than the economy. A hardcore recession would be worth no dependence on fossil fuel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit