Has anyone else here heard about May 1st and what do you think about it?

by WildHorses 62 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down
    What gives?

Our f*cking politicians do... to anyone who might vote for them...

The problem is....they give what you have and have earned or are entitled to...to someone who doesnt'.

It's called "buying the vote"! And it works....sadly.

u/d

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

I hear ya WH's...when you figure in the millions of illegal immigrants that are here...if they all paid taxes....***pssshhh***....don't even get me started.

I've picked fruit ie. Oranges, apples, cucumbers, and even primed tobacco. I've even worked in a chicken factory. If they wouldn't pay so little for such hard work I'd still do it.

I don't know where you grew up...but try picking cotton for 19 years in the Mississippi heat like my dad did. I can only imagine what ya'll went through. luv, jojoof the thank god i work in an air conditioned office class

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I just hired 4 individuals (over 3 days) who were most likely outside the system to help me roof my mom's house. Two moved like turtles, imo (but that is unusual, and even so they got alot done by the end of the day), one was so-so, and one young man impressed me so much I'm going to give his name and number to a man I know who runs a roofing company. He was probably about 17, spoke almost no english, but I could tell he is very smart, has a great attitude, and worked hard. I'll take the last three qualities over a lazy kid who speaks english any day. I payed them all 10 dollars per hour.

In New Orleans, I've hired a few white guys for similar type work. If any of them impressed me for the first half of the day, they spent the rest of the day trying to ruin that impression. Mostly they were there because they had drinking problems and shitty attitudes about work.

The hispanics who are re-roofing New Orleans and surrounding areas, are hard working professionals doing a VERY hard, hot, and potentially dangerous job. They may live in tents, or share a place with several (read: too many for comfort) others. They are paid, depending on skill, quite a bit more than minimum wage. There simply is not a pool of Americans who could or would do the job on the scale that hurricanes Katrina and Rita have caused the area to require.

The cost of a roof in New Orleans is substantially higher than most other parts of the country at this point, but you'd be a bit shocked and possibly angered to find out how much of that money goes straight into the sweat free pocket of the guy named Frank, or Dave, or Joe who spends a couple hours at most estimating and selling the job, and coordinating with a job foreman.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Six....as far as I'm concerned the work ethic of any man is not what's at issue here... It's the "rights" being claimed as trespassers.

Like you... I judge no man who's willing give an honest days work for an honest wage... I hate cheap ass tightwad employers that for one, take advantage of the disadvantaged...because they can. Then turn around and bitch about unfair business practices in other areas. Or a country like Mexico that treats it's own people like shit...and any one there illegal like what they really are "illegal"...which yes ='s being a criminal. But yet, criticizes the USA for even thinking about cracking down on an already out of control problem.

Our politicians created this lovely mess...not the common working man. The laws are on the books....who's got the balls to enforce them?

We'll see...

u/d

• parlay
    parlay

The US should insist that the Mexican government get their act together.

I heard an interview on NPR, of an illegal immigrant from Mexico, making his second trip back into the US.

He had a $9 an hour restaurant dish washing job. He said what he made in one hour at the restaurant

was more than he would make in a whole day in Mexico. After working at the restaurant for a few years

he returned to Mexico with enough money to buy a new truck and some land. Now he is returning

to work illegally at the restaurant to save enough to build on the land he purchased.

• upside/down
    upside/down

parlay...Did you know that an American can't even own land in Mexico (outright) and if one wants to become an expatriot there you MUST check in with the authorities, have the proper Visas, have health insurance, and be able to prove an income of approx. $1500 per month!

If we did the same... they'd have to call in the UN to spank our sorry ass...

u/d

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

mexico is pretty darn tight with their borders..

if you try to sneak into mexico from a smaller south american country your shot on sight.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Jojo, I have been around Mexicans most of my life. My kids are half Mexican. My first husband/current boyfriend who is also the father to my first two children and I worked in the Orange groves in Wachula, Fl. Picked apples in Smithburg(not sure of the spelling) PA and in the Tobacco fields of Zebulon, NC.

The one I found to be the hardest were the oranges as I had delivered my son less than a week before I went to work. I believe it was four days to be exact. I was young and stupid and didn't know that I souldn't start back to work so soon. I had to quit because I started to hemorrhage one day while working.

I am no stranger to hard work and it pisses me off when people say that Americans are lazy since I know I am not and I am American. There are lazy people in every nationality. I've seen my share of lazy mexicans also. I've also worked with a few who would slow down just to make hours.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    He had a $9 an hour restaurant dish washing job. He said what he made in one hour at the restaurant

was more than he would make in a whole day in Mexico. After working at the restaurant for a few years

he returned to Mexico with enough money to buy a new truck and some land. Now he is returning

to work illegally at the restaurant to save enough to build on the land he purchased.

Waah...

He should legalize his citizenship and he'll make even more money.

luv, jojo

• zagor
    zagor

Well I'm not there but I think you in U.S are going too far and are forgetting that most of your ancestors were immigrants too.
    These kinds of issues are better solved in civilized manner because it's very easy to go overboard with it, and now apparently also people who are there legally are being branded as enemy as well.

Funny thing is that history repeats itself. In 1930's there was an economic crisis in Europe (Germany in particular) Jews lived there for hundreds of years and were for most part accepted as integral part of community. But as soon as economy start suffering (for whatever reasons) people start looking who to blame and usually anyone who's different is branded. In 1930's these were Jews today these are immigrant. Looks like we never learn anything from history, we are all very shortsighted and only see what we want to see regardless of far-reaching consequences. I doubt that in early 1930's most Germans thought about sending people to concentration camps (hell even after the war many didn't believe it was happening) but as insanity goes uncontrolled people can justify anything to reach an objective.
    Perhaps the better way would be to help these governments and countries where people are fleeing from (this is what is now happening in Europe) to reach their full potentially economically and people would stop leaving their homes for a perception of better life (I’d imagine most of them are now working harder than what they did in their native lands, just think of sweatshops)

On the other hand many of these people are far more educated than we would be comfortable to admit ‘cause we’d have to treat them with respect then.
    European Union is pouring big bucks to help half-developed or undeveloped neighboring countries to reach their full potential. After all, these now-time receivers of help are future customers. So Help them now stand on their feet and you open up a huge market for yourself.
    Cynic will point at France as a counter argument but the fact remains that Europe does pour lots of help to enable neighboring countries reach their potential and there are already many signs of improvement after only 10 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit