Who cares about the memorial?

by daystar 43 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

I don't...

Yesterday, my mother finally asked me if I would consider attending the memorial. I just rather chuckled... "No, I don't think so." After a pause, I decided on an additional comment. "You know mom, it's funny how you are the only person to ever invite me to the memorial." (I was a JW for the first 18 years of my life and now haven't gone in fifteen years.)

Her response? "Well, your father has." In fact, he hasn't, but so as to not cause him any more trouble, I agreed. "But mom, that's not the point. I have never, ever been contacted by any elder, MS, pioneer or any other JW about even the memorial. And many of them were almost like family to me growing up. Don't you think that that is odd?"... ... ... no response. So I dropped it.

Well, that is my memorial experience for this year. I notice a number of other memorial threads popping up. Obviously it's going to be a topic for conversation right now.

But, do any of you really, really care? I mean, I suppose I could attend, but I'm sure I'd be walked straight out after partaking. *gasp!* Not out of spite, mind you.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't care about the JW memorialâ„¢. It's nothing more than a recruitment drive. My mother is the only person who invited me - but she suggested I go to a memorialâ„¢ where no one knows me, implying that I have something to be ashamed of. She didn't ask me to go to hers. I suspect she's ashamed to have a son who despises child molesters.

W

• KW13
    KW13

i dont care but i wanna do some damage limitation!!!

• delilah
    delilah

Hi Daystar. No, I really don't care to go. I remember the gossip and backstabbing, about those who only attend once a year, at memorial time. They will not say such mean sprited things, behind my back. No sirree!!!! They can have their memorial and stick it u.......

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I really don't care either. If I had never lived across from a kingdom hall when I first got to Indiana there would be no reason in hell for me to search one out, not even for my mother to attend when she comes to visit.

Josie

• lilybird
    lilybird

Nope.. the memorial is a bogus ceremony made up by a group of men professing to have Jehovah's spirit.. There's nothing special about that..

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

For me going or not going, partaking or not partaking is not about sticking it to the WTS. For me it's the way I believe now. I no longer believe in Christ, Jehovah or the Bible. Why would I go to an event which is all about the ransom sacrifice of Christ?

You won't find me in any church on Easter Sunday nor is it a holiday that I put up Easter decorations. I simply don't believe any of it nor do I want to appear to.

So add me to the "I don't care about the memorial" list.

• anewme
    anewme

I think we can all agree we did not derive much comfort from the Watchtower experience. I think we need to comfort ourselves as far as religion is concerned.

After all the years you have read the Bible and the many stories of Jesus and his sacrifice are you really satisfied with the miserable celebration of the memorial of his death offered at the Kingdom Hall?

Are you not longing for a new religious experience? A renewal of faith? An experience deep and rich and lasting?

In your own heart is where true celebration takes place. Create your own celebration of life. Or do nothing and consider it all dead. Its your life.

We either accept the gods of others and their celebrations or we create our own beliefs, gods and celebrations. Do what makes you happiest!! Follow your god given heart in the matter of beliefs.

• daystar
    daystar

I'm with you bikerchic. I did suggest on another thread that I might consider countering with a banishing ritual of the pentagram, but I don't think I'll really bother.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hello Everyone,

Personally, for my husband and I, we feel the need to take the time out tonight, and read over the scriptures in a dignified way, remembering what Christ Jesus did on our behalf. By doing this, we do not feel we need to be part of a congregation. the scriptures say, "Where there are two or more gathered in my name, there I will be also." This will be our first memorial we do not attend at the Kingdom Hall in all our lives. (With the exception of being stuck at home in a blizzard once when I was little, and the was no way for us to get to the hall.) I will make some unleavened bread (its not hard ) and will by some Kosher wine at the grocery store. I don't know if thats necessary, but it feels appropriate for us. We now know that Christ Jesus is our PERSONAL mediator. Jesus died for ALL. And it has even greater meaning to us then ever before. We personally do not feel that you have to be at the "Kingdom Hall" in order to honor this day. In fact, after finding all the deception, I personally do not feel I would be blessed if I did go there. I am so glad I have found a place to express my feelings without being attacked because they are different from others. Thanks to all of you, who have been a support to me and my family thru this long journey out!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit