Whacky Witness Weirdness

by limbogirl 47 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    'We need to forgive'

ELGIN – Earstin Whitten recalled Sunday how his daughter, who had impaired vision, could identify him by just by hearing his footsteps when he arrived home, sparking laugher and a smile. "She would hear my feet and know it was me," he said. Earstin Whitten recalled this and other fond memories of his daughter, Nyakiambi, during her memorial service Sunday, attended by more than 300 people, at The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Elgin. Betty Whitten, faces murder charges in the stabbing death. Police say she could have been reacting to the pressures of caring for a disabled person. Nyakiambi had cerebral palsy and was developmentally disabled. But those disabilities did not hinder Nyakiambi's smile or her love of the church, Earstin Whitten and church elder Tom Parr told the standing room-only crowd. "Yes, she is special, and she taught us a lot," Earstin Whitten said. "She had love in her heart that was larger than you can imagine." He also spoke of his wife, and his need to forgive. "Some may wonder how I feel about my wife," he said before reading passages speaking of forgiveness from the Bible. "You should forgive so much that you lose count of how many times," he said. "We need to forgive and go on." Many in the crowd shed tears as Earstin Whitten read from the Bible and told of a story from Nyakiambi's childhood that included his wife, who now sits in Kane County Jail. "The outcome I do not know, but my goal is to make sure [Betty] gets the help she needs," he said, his voice breaking. "And that is good advice for all of us." Earstin Whitten, who is a devout Jehovah's witness, said he looks forward to meeting his daughter again some day. In his religion, reincarnation is a common theme. He said if Nyakiambi asks how she died, he will tell her "that's really not important. What is important is that you are back." Whitten also quipped he hoped to learn how to make mashed potatoes and peas to his daughter's liking. "No matter how well I cooked, I could not get her liking mashed potatoes and peas," he said. After the service, visitors consoled Earstin Whitten and other family members. A lined formed to view a poster with photographs of Nyakiambi at all ages, displayed at the front of the church. Throughout his speech, Whitten spoke of his need to move on, despite the pain. "We cannot change the past and it is very painful, but we must go on," he said. "We must learn from it and grow stronger." By KATE THAYER
    [email protected] --------- Here we have a media 'puff' piece that presents Jehovah's Witnesses as (1) a benevolent forgiving creed,when they are really ruthless and belligerent with their own dissidents. (2) They believe in 'quickie' "reincarnation" and that their loved ones will return and be back soon any day.The fallout from this will be when the millions of Jehovah's Witnesses who haven't fully and properly mourn their dead loved ones will horrified to accept that loved ones are gone for good and the Watchtower "resurrection any minute fantasy" was all a LIE!

• zeroday
    zeroday

I was a witness for 28 years and spurned my families constant invitations for Thanksgiving dinner. "It's just dinner" they would say and I always refused, didn't want to be seen as condoning a worldly holiday. So one thanksgiving a sister and her family invited me to dinner. Well, I was off work and I didn't think a thing about it. I've been to friends houses for dinner many times. Imagine my shock when I arrived to find a complete head to toe Thanksgiving meal, everything, turkey and everything. Each place mat had an autumn leaf with the persons name on it. I was dumbfounded but didn't leave. I felt like dirt.

• luna2
    luna2

I was mildly shocked a time or two with JWs mimicing holiday dinners too, zeroday. The reasoning always was that turkeys were cheap that time of year. I guess that's true but it still seemed odd.

One sis would even accept turkey handouts from local charities around Thanksgiving/Christmas. I had mixed feelings about it myself but I figured if she needed the help who was I to quibble.

Its not that I was such a strict dub either...I'd go to my family's Thanksgiving dinner every year, but we'd always (almost always) make sure to leave in time to go to the Thursday night meeting. Didn't want the worldly relatives to think we'd forgotten Jehoho or anything due to too much turkey intake.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Serendipity:

I knew a sister who would intentionally wear unmatched earrings. Very amusing!

Ah! Do I know you!!??lol

Valkyrie has it right though...it's self-expression, the way we can! Actually, people might have found me a bit weird. I liked to wear unmatched earrings. And sometimes a normal pair, but I added one more on my right ear. One very conservative sister came to me once, all concerned that I had lost my other earring.hihi

I guess I was also known as the tacky one. When I think back, I used to wear things that were closer to costumes at the hall. I usually was inspired by movies...So I admit it, I wore my share of Titanic necklaces (full size), hobbit-like dresses and Moulin Rouge corsets!! (How I got away with that one is beyongd me.) And let's not forget the makeup! The strange thing is, I was and am a very shy girl, so maybe that's why I never got counceled....people must have wondered what was wrong with me.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I am sitting here at work and literally just LAUGHED OUT LOUD at the hearse story.

Funny thing is, I think I knew some families that would have done that. Seriously. There were soooo many JWs who were just a bit "off" in the common sense dept.

• greater_freedom
    greater_freedom

I remember an elder who always smelled really bad. It wasn't BO,but nobody would tell him he stunk. My parents invited him to our home one evening along with a small group from the hall. My dad couldn't stand it anymore so he told this guy he smells. The elder goes on to tell how he doesn't use any soaps, shampoo,or deoderant. No shit! Then he goes on to tell everyone how he soaks his feet in his own urine. That was the smell, just like in grade school when one of the boys pissed on the radiator in the bathroom.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

GAAAA! That's gross! Why!? Why did he do that!? That will be one heck of a paradise they will all have.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

greater-freedom:

now that is some Whacky Witness Weirdness!! and quite disgusting, I might add.

I was always surprised at the number of witnesses I knew that had just plain ol' WRONG hygiene habits. For example, when I was a teenager I spent the night at a young pioneer's house. The next morning was the Sunday meeting -- pioneer friend takes a bath then comes out of the bathroom and announces to me that she has left the bath water in the tub for me to bathe in. Huh?? I thought I would shower, I said. Nope...we don't waste water in this house...you can use my bathwater. I skipped bathing...went to the kh and then straight home to shower. Never spent the night at her house again and was so disgusted by her and her family that I just let the friendship fade.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

limbogirl-

Well...that takes the cake. Horrible, just so disgustinly horrible....can't find find words.... ...ugh, dirty water, dirtied by stranger's body filth....

• anewme
    anewme

Wow you guys!!!!
    I am kind of laughing kind of puking!

My breakfast is bubbling forth from all your great stories.

I remember feeling so weird already that sometimes I didnt care what people thought, you know?

Anyway, they must have fallen apart under the pressure of being weird to begin with and being in a weird religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit