There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

by Elsewhere 109 Replies latest jw friends

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

u/d...I haven't been spotted owl watching lately, but there sure has been a terrible odor in the air!!! I don't think we should have this much poop allowed in the state:

Hog Watch

Welcome to Environmental Defense's central source for information and action on industrial hog farming in North Carolina.

During the past decade, the Tar Heel State has become the unwitting site of a giant explosion. North Carolina's hog population has grown faster than any state in the nation, swelling from 2.6 million to 10 million hogs since 1987. That's a 285% increase in hogs, compared to only a 14% increase in people.

North Carolina's hogs produce a mind-boggling amount of waste: 19 million tons of feces and urine a year, or over 50,000 tons every single day. That's more waste in one year than the entire human population of Charlotte, North Carolina produces in 58 years! To make matters worse, almost all of North Carolina's hogs are concentrated in the eastern coastal plain, an economically important and ecologically sensitive network of wetlands, rivers, and coastline.

Managing of all this hog waste effectively presents a significant environmental challenge – a challenge that is not being met by current regulations and industry practices. In many places, the problems have simply overwhelmed North Carolina's communities and environment.

The nation is watching to see how North Carolina handles its hog problem. It is up to all of us to demand solutions that will ensure that the "North Carolina example" is not a disaster to avoid, but instead, is a model to follow.

The Solution

North Carolina needs to adopt an effective, fair and feasible set of measures that will protect the state's environment, public health, and economy. At minimum, these measures should do the following:

• Require that all new hog factories meet permanent performance standards to achieve environmental and public health goals;
    • Require that the hog industry clean up and properly close the more than 700 abandoned lagoons in eastern NC;
    • Require that all existing hog factories meet these performance standards, and that hog factories using open-air lagoons and aerial sprayfields replace them with more effective waste management systems; and
    • Require that hog farmers and the large industry producers (who own the hogs) share responsibility and liability for complying with environmental laws.

I just wonder if any of you think this might have an impact on the environment??? Isn't it disgusting that they spray this cr$% all over the fields and then it runs off into the streams and rivers causing major fish kills?

Here's the link for further investigation:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/subissue.cfm?subissue=10

Swalker (Likes to educate people about the real issues that cr$% creates)

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Can Global Smelling be far behind?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

LOL @ MegaDude!!!

I do think that should be addressed to!!! My nose hurts!

Swalker (my nose is very sensitive!)

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hey Megadude, why do you have to make environmentalism sound like "hysteria" or a "religion". If you open a can of something dangerous in your house, are you the kind of person who ignores the warning "open in a well ventilated area" on the can? That is all being environmentally aware is about. Except we all share the same breathing space on a bigger scale.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Hey Megadude, why do you have to make environmentalism sound like "hysteria" or a "religion".

If Kyoto made perfect sense to you there is nothing I could say that would make a difference. Again, I'd refer you to the article link I posted for another viewpoint.

If you open a can of something dangerous in your house, are you the kind of person who ignores the warning "open in a well ventilated area" on the can?

If you read an opinion in a UK newspaper or internet article, do you immediately adopt it as your own?

That is all being environmentally aware is about.

Generic untrue statement.

Except we all share the same breathing space on a bigger scale.

One I agree with and am painfully aware of every summer when our air is painful to breathe (for me) because of all the toxic car/plane exhaust cooking in the hot sun. I've seen smoke here in the air as thick as London fog from fires traveling from Mexico and Central America that travels north to the U.S. as the farmers do their slash and burn agriculture or because we haven't had a decent breeze in a while. Why cities are designed where we all need polluting automobiles is beyond me.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Let's get something straight... I care deeply about the environement...always have. I'm an Eagle Scout... I used to belong to all the PC orgs when I was younger (Audubon, Sierra Club, Costeau, Nature Conservancy..."societies")...then I went and joined the mother of all "Environmental Orgs"...and got duped into believing in a germ free perfect "paradise" Earth... turned out it was a high control doomsday cult.

I am an avid outdoors man... I fish, hunt, hike, ski, raft, boat, camp etc.

ALL the money I spend on these activities (in my State) goes back to funding Conservation Efforts.

Although I refuse to be labeled or put in a specific category as MANY here love to do... I have definite "conservative" leanings...but I refuse to follow a party line or a religious angle... I'm an individual and make up my own mind on EVERYTHING. You would make it appear that one is either an extreme hardcore whackjob "environmentalist"...or the opposite....I'm neither.

I respect and take care of the planet as best as I can...in the way I see most fit. I am part of this planets ecosystem...not an invader of it. I can use it... with consequences for me...of course.

I totally abhor what some governments, companies and individuals are doing to this planet... but I can only control ME and my family...which I do. As I stated before...I will not exchange one doomsday cult for another...you can have it all.

You don't have to be an umbalanced hysterical whacko to love this planet and what's in it. I actively DO something to help... I just don't need CNN and their camera crew there to show the world.

Leave any place you go, cleaner than you found it... Do the best you can....that's it for me.

To insinuate that I or anyone for that matter approves of giant hog feed lots and the such is asinine... it's just the world we live in... for now...things can and WILL eventually change...whether "we" like it or not.

Maybe you need a girlfriend or something to help you relax a little....?

u/d(of the non-whacko conservationist class)

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Some more food for thought.

The truth about the environment

Aug 2nd 2001

From The Economist print edition

Environmentalists tend to believe that, ecologically speaking, things are getting worse and worse. Bjorn Lomborg, once deep green himself, argues that they are wrong in almost every particular

Panos alt

ECOLOGY and economics should push in the same direction. After all, the “eco” part of each word derives from the Greek word for “home”, and the protagonists of both claim to have humanity's welfare as their goal. Yet environmentalists and economists are often at loggerheads. For economists, the world seems to be getting better. For many environmentalists, it seems to be getting worse.

These environmentalists, led by such veterans as Paul Ehrlich of Stanford University, and Lester Brown of the Worldwatch Institute, have developed a sort of “litany” of four big environmental fears: Click Here!

• Natural resources are running out.

• The population is ever growing, leaving less and less to eat.

• Species are becoming extinct in vast numbers: forests are disappearing and fish stocks are collapsing.

• The planet's air and water are becoming ever more polluted.

Human activity is thus defiling the earth, and humanity may end up killing itself in the process. The “litany” of environmental fears is not backed up by evidence

The trouble is, the evidence does not back up this litany. First, energy and other natural resources have become more abundant, not less so since the Club of Rome published “The Limits to Growth” in 1972. Second, more food is now produced per head of the world's population than at any time in history. Fewer people are starving. Third, although species are indeed becoming extinct, only about 0.7% of them are expected to disappear in the next 50 years, not 25-50%, as has so often been predicted. And finally, most forms of environmental pollution either appear to have been exaggerated, or are transient—associated with the early phases of industrialisation and therefore best cured not by restricting economic growth, but by accelerating it. One form of pollution—the release of greenhouse gases that causes global warming—does appear to be a long-term phenomenon, but its total impact is unlikely to pose a devastating problem for the future of humanity. A bigger problem may well turn out to be an inappropriate response to it.

Can things only get better?

Take these four points one by one. First, the exhaustion of natural resources. The early environmental movement worried that the mineral resources on which modern industry depends would run out. Clearly, there must be some limit to the amount of fossil fuels and metal ores that can be extracted from the earth: the planet, after all, has a finite mass. But that limit is far greater than many environmentalists would have people believe.

Reserves of natural resources have to be located, a process that costs money. That, not natural scarcity, is the main limit on their availability. However, known reserves of all fossil fuels, and of most commercially important metals, are now larger than they were when “The Limits to Growth” was published. In the case of oil, for example, reserves that could be extracted at reasonably competitive prices would keep the world economy running for about 150 years at present consumption rates. Add to that the fact that the price of solar energy has fallen by half in every decade for the past 30 years, and appears likely to continue to do so into the future, and energy shortages do not look like a serious threat either to the economy or to the environment.

The development for non-fuel resources has been similar. Cement, aluminium, iron, copper, gold, nitrogen and zinc account for more than 75% of global expenditure on raw materials. Despite an increase in consumption of these materials of between two- and ten-fold over the past 50 years, the number of years of available reserves has actually grown. Moreover, the increasing abundance is reflected in an ever-decreasing price: The Economist's index of prices of industrial raw materials has dropped some 80% in inflation-adjusted terms since 1845.

Next, the population explosion is also turning out to be a bugaboo. In 1968, Dr Ehrlich predicted in his best selling book, “The Population Bomb”, that “the battle to feed humanity is over. In the course of the 1970s the world will experience starvation of tragic proportions—hundreds of millions of people will starve to death.”

That did not happen. Instead, according to the United Nations, agricultural production in the developing world has increased by 52% per person since 1961. The daily food intake in poor countries has increased from 1,932 calories, barely enough for survival, in 1961 to 2,650 calories in 1998, and is expected to rise to 3,020 by 2030. Likewise, the proportion of people in developing countries who are starving has dropped from 45% in 1949 to 18% today, and is expected to decline even further to 12% in 2010 and just 6% in 2030. Food, in other words, is becoming not scarcer but ever more abundant. This is reflected in its price. Since 1800 food prices have decreased by more than 90%, and in 2000, according to the World Bank, prices were lower than ever before.

Modern Malthus

Malthus was wrong: population growth has not been exponential

Dr Ehrlich's prediction echoed that made 170 years earlier by Thomas Malthus. Malthus claimed that, if unchecked, human population would expand exponentially, while food production could increase only linearly, by bringing new land into cultivation. He was wrong. Population growth has turned out to have an internal check: as people grow richer and healthier, they have smaller families. Indeed, the growth rate of the human population reached its peak, of more than 2% a year, in the early 1960s. The rate of increase has been declining ever since. It is now 1.26%, and is expected to fall to 0.46% in 2050. The United Nations estimates that most of the world's population growth will be over by 2100, with the population stabilising at just below 11 billion (see chart 1). alt

Malthus also failed to take account of developments in agricultural technology. These have squeezed more and more food out of each hectare of land. It is this application of human ingenuity that has boosted food production, not merely in line with, but ahead of, population growth. It has also, incidentally, reduced the need to take new land into cultivation, thus reducing the pressure on biodiversity.

Third, that threat of biodiversity loss is real, but exaggerated. Most early estimates used simple island models that linked a loss in habitat with a loss of biodiversity. A rule-of-thumb indicated that loss of 90% of forest meant a 50% loss of species. As rainforests seemed to be cut at alarming rates, estimates of annual species loss of 20,000-100,000 abounded. Many people expected the number of species to fall by half globally within a generation or two.

However, the data simply does not bear out these predictions. In the eastern United States, forests were reduced over two centuries to fragments totalling just 1-2% of their original area, yet this resulted in the extinction of only one forest bird. In Puerto Rico, the primary forest area has been reduced over the past 400 years by 99%, yet “only” seven of 60 species of bird has become extinct. All but 12% of the Brazilian Atlantic rainforest was cleared in the 19th century, leaving only scattered fragments. According to the rule-of-thumb, half of all its species should have become extinct. Yet, when the World Conservation Union and the Brazilian Society of Zoology analysed all 291 known Atlantic forest animals, none could be declared extinct. Species, therefore, seem more resilient than expected. And tropical forests are not lost at annual rates of 2-4%, as many environmentalists have claimed: the latest UN figures indicate a loss of less than 0.5%. In London, air pollution peaked around 1890

Fourth, pollution is also exaggerated. Many analyses show that air pollution diminishes when a society becomes rich enough to be able to afford to be concerned about the environment. For London, the city for which the best data are available, air pollution peaked around 1890 (see chart 2). Today, the air is cleaner than it has been since 1585. There is good reason to believe that this general picture holds true for all developed countries. And, although air pollution is increasing in many developing countries, they are merely replicating the development of the industrialised countries. When they grow sufficiently rich they, too, will start to reduce their air pollution. alt

All this contradicts the litany. Yet opinion polls suggest that many people, in the rich world, at least, nurture the belief that environmental standards are declining. Four factors cause this disjunction between perception and reality.

Always look on the dark side of life

One is the lopsidedness built into scientific research. Scientific funding goes mainly to areas with many problems. That may be wise policy, but it will also create an impression that many more potential problems exist than is the case.

Secondly, environmental groups need to be noticed by the mass media. They also need to keep the money rolling in. Understandably, perhaps, they sometimes exaggerate. In 1997, for example, the Worldwide Fund for Nature issued a press release entitled, “Two-thirds of the world's forests lost forever”. The truth turns out to be nearer 20%. Environmental groups are much like other lobby groups, but are treated less sceptically

Though these groups are run overwhelmingly by selfless folk, they nevertheless share many of the characteristics of other lobby groups. That would matter less if people applied the same degree of scepticism to environmental lobbying as they do to lobby groups in other fields. A trade organisation arguing for, say, weaker pollution controls is instantly seen as self-interested. Yet a green organisation opposing such a weakening is seen as altruistic, even if a dispassionate view of the controls in question might suggest they are doing more harm than good.

A third source of confusion is the attitude of the media. People are clearly more curious about bad news than good. Newspapers and broadcasters are there to provide what the public wants. That, however, can lead to significant distortions of perception. An example was America's encounter with El Niño in 1997 and 1998. This climatic phenomenon was accused of wrecking tourism, causing allergies, melting the ski-slopes and causing 22 deaths by dumping snow in Ohio.

A more balanced view comes from a recent article in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. This tries to count up both the problems and the benefits of the 1997-98 Niño. The damage it did was estimated at $4 billion. However, the benefits amounted to some $19 billion. These came from higher winter temperatures (which saved an estimated 850 lives, reduced heating costs and diminished spring floods caused by meltwaters), and from the well-documented connection between past Niños and fewer Atlantic hurricanes. In 1998, America experienced no big Atlantic hurricanes and thus avoided huge losses. These benefits were not reported as widely as the losses.

The fourth factor is poor individual perception. People worry that the endless rise in the amount of stuff everyone throws away will cause the world to run out of places to dispose of waste. Yet, even if America's trash output continues to rise as it has done in the past, and even if the American population doubles by 2100, all the rubbish America produces through the entire 21st century will still take up only the area of a square, each of whose sides measures 28km (18 miles). That is just one-12,000th of the area of the entire United States. alt

Ignorance matters only when it leads to faulty judgments. But fear of largely imaginary environmental problems can divert political energy from dealing with real ones. The table above, showing the cost in the United States of various measures to save a year of a person's life, illustrates the danger. Some environmental policies, such as reducing lead in petrol and sulphur-dioxide emissions from fuel oil, are very cost-effective. But many of these are already in place. Most environmental measures are less cost-effective than interventions aimed at improving safety (such as installing air-bags in cars) and those involving medical screening and vaccination. Some are absurdly expensive. Radically cutting carbon-dioxide emissions will be far more expensive than adapting to higher temperatures

Yet a false perception of risk may be about to lead to errors more expensive even than controlling the emission of benzene at tyre plants. Carbon-dioxide emissions are causing the planet to warm. The best estimates are that the temperature will rise by some 2°-3°C in this century, causing considerable problems, almost exclusively in the developing world, at a total cost of $5,000 billion. Getting rid of global warming would thus seem to be a good idea. The question is whether the cure will actually be more costly than the ailment.

Despite the intuition that something drastic needs to be done about such a costly problem, economic analyses clearly show that it will be far more expensive to cut carbon-dioxide emissions radically than to pay the costs of adaptation to the increased temperatures. The effect of the Kyoto Protocol on the climate would be minuscule, even if it were implemented in full. A model by Tom Wigley, one of the main authors of the reports of the UN Climate Change Panel, shows how an expected temperature increase of 2.1°C in 2100 would be diminished by the treaty to an increase of 1.9°C instead. Or, to put it another way, the temperature increase that the planet would have experienced in 2094 would be postponed to 2100. The Kyoto agreement merely buys the world six years

So the Kyoto agreement does not prevent global warming, but merely buys the world six years. Yet, the cost of Kyoto, for the United States alone, will be higher than the cost of solving the world's single most pressing health problem: providing universal access to clean drinking water and sanitation. Such measures would avoid 2m deaths every year, and prevent half a billion people from becoming seriously ill.

And that is the best case. If the treaty were implemented inefficiently, the cost of Kyoto could approach $1 trillion, or more than five times the cost of worldwide water and sanitation coverage. For comparison, the total global-aid budget today is about $50 billion a year.

To replace the litany with facts is crucial if people want to make the best possible decisions for the future. Of course, rational environmental management and environmental investment are good ideas—but the costs and benefits of such investments should be compared to those of similar investments in all the other important areas of human endeavour. It may be costly to be overly optimistic—but more costly still to be too pessimistic.

Bjorn Lomborg is a statistician at the University of Aarhus, Denmark, who once held what he calls “left-wing Greenpeace views”. In 1997, he set out to challenge Julian Simon, an economist who doubted environmentalist claims—and found that the data generally supported Simon. His book, “The Skeptical Environmentalist”, will be published in English by Cambridge University

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Sixofnine: Wow, I'm glad someone is at least looking into the matter. It is a little dissappointing though that the media remains a source "reliable" information. Did you find any logical fallacies in the journalist's debunking article? Any exagerrations or misrepresentations, or do you believe the sensational aspects of the story represent the whole of this and other similar petitions? Just curious.

Similar debunking attempts are made regarding the IPCC's list of 2000 scientists represented in their "Scientific Assesment" in favor of sweeping GW policies. Of the list of 2000: "only about 100 climate scientists in the IPCC's listing, which includes economists, political scientists, government functionaries, and public relations specialists." It begins to look like a pissing match after awhile.

Since the back & forth criticisms, both camps have came out with bigger or better petitions citing this person or that...and on it goes.

What I wonder though, do you believe then that there exists a near consensus or clear majority regarding the assertion that CO2 (specifically the ~75ppm humans have added) is driving climate change? Care to take a position?

Maybe you can answer a few questions.

If Kyoto is dutifly implemented, what outcome is anticipated regarding Global Temperatures?

How much will it cost?

Care to take a stab at why dramatically elevated CO2 levels in Earths past did not result in a Global Warning problem?

-FW

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Was it Mark Twain who wrote the famous line "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics"? In any case, my skepticism kicked in when I read the first few lines of the above essay Megadude posted; the false dichotomy between "environmentalist" and "economist" made me worry that I was about to be lied to.

As the credit at the end of the essay points out:

Bjorn Lomborg is a statistician at the University of Aarhus, Denmark, who once held what he calls “left-wing Greenpeace views”. In 1997, he set out to challenge Julian Simon, an economist who doubted environmentalist claims—and found that the data generally supported Simon. His book, “The Skeptical Environmentalist”, will be published in English by Cambridge University

Lomborg is a statistician, not an environmental scientist, or even an economist. I'm not going to automatically just "shoot the messenger", but in a debate such as this the layman has to put a certain amount of trust in experts, experts who will, if they are honest, admit that no one has a complete grasp of the data and implications of said data. So it's important that the "expert" be an honest broker, someone truly striving for complete accuracy, but also someone who is concerned with the type of world we will leave for our grandchildren.

I was skeptical about "The Skeptical Environmentalist".... and indeed so was the book reviewer who reviewed the book for the magazine Skeptical Inquirer. I guess I retained more from Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World than I realized:

(sorry for the length of the posting, I've highlighted a couple things I find especially relevant)

The Skeptical Environmentalist:
    Measuring the Real State of the World

By Bjorn Lomborg
    Cambridge University Press, London, 2001.
    ISBN 0-52101-068-3. 496 pp. Hardcover, $28.

Richard M. Fisher

Shortly before he died, astronomer and science popularizer Carl Sagan wrote a wonderful book called The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (Sagan 1996). The book is both a personal odyssey of a distinguished scientist's twilight and a beacon of reason in a world awash with irrational beliefs and superstition. Among the most important gifts that Sagan bequeaths us in the book is his "baloney detection kit." The kit is a handyman's tool set for skeptical thinking, and includes instructions for recognizing fallacious or fraudulent arguments. Among the instructions:

• wherever possible obtain independent confirmation of the facts
    • encourage substantive debate on the subject by knowledgeable persons
    • spin more than one hypothesis
    • ensure that every link in a chain of argument works, not just most of them

The baloney detection kit also includes extensive advice on what not to do. It is based upon fallacies of logic and rhetoric, some simple, others more complex. My personal favorite among them is misunderstanding the nature of statistics, with Sagan's example of President Dwight Eisenhower "expressing astonishment and alarm on discovering that fully half of all Americans have below average intelligence."

I had occasion to revisit Sagan's baloney detection kit in the context of reading The Skeptical Environmentalist , a book by Danish statistician Bjorn Lomborg. Lomborg's book has attracted remarkable negative comment from the scientific community, juxtaposed with positive gushes from the popular press. The Washington Post calls it "the most significant work on the environment since the appearance of its polar opposite, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring , in 1962" (Dutton 2001). Similar kudos are offered by The Economist . In contrast, there has been a plethora of negative reviews of the book in scientific journals, including the heavyweights Nature , which calls it "deeply flawed" (Pimm and Harvey 2001), and Science , which disapproves of Lomborg's selective use of data (Grubb 2001). Other negative reviews have appeared in more specialized science journals, such as Environment (Gleick 2001) and World Watch (Bell 2002). Among the most vociferous critics has been Scientific American, which countered with its own debunking article (Rennie 2002), including rebuttals by a coterie of scientific heavyweights, all of whom refute Lomborg's claims.

The gist of the scientific feedback against Lomborg is that he displays wilful ignorance, quotes selectively from the works of others, and, perhaps above all else, courts the attention of media that accept his work at face value, in an uncritical manner (Wilson 2001). The oddity is that the book, while claiming to be a skeptical review of a wide body of "doomsaying" environmental studies, should itself be subject to a healthy dose of skepticism. (my note: does the above sound familiar to Watchtower and Awake readers?) A reasonable layperson is likely to look askance at Lomborg's claims that virtually every environmental indicator is better than scientists claim, including world hunger, global warming, forest depletion, species extinction, loss of nonrenewables, acid rain, as well as water, air, and wastewater pollution. A reasonable person is also likely to view with marked disbelief Lomborg's claims that all that bad news is the result of a directed and concerted cabal of environmental pressure groups to conceal the truth. In a nutshell, the truth may be out there . . . but not in this book.

How then do we explain the ability of someone who has admitted having no scientific training or expertise comparable to those he attacks to attract such favorable press? Canadian scientist David Suzuki suggests that it is because Lomborg assuages guilt about ecological problems (Suzuki 2002). In contrast to current United Nations reports which paint a pretty dismal picture about the state of the environment, Lomborg tells us what we prefer to hear: namely that things are a lot better than pessimistic scientists would have us believe.

More important than all of this, from the Skeptical Inquirer 's point of view, is finding the answer to Lomborg's success through his use of the toolkit advice offered in Demon-Haunted World . By that advice, I refer specifically to things Sagan warns us not to do. The Skeptical Environmentalist is a textbook example of the anti-science toolkit in action. As such, it is extremely illustrative. Here are some of those tools and how they have been (ab)used, chosen (due to length restrictions) from a single chapter in Lomborg's book which deals with biodiversity.

Straw Man

According to Sagan, a straw man fallacy is "caricaturing a position to make it easier to attack." Lomborg uses a more subtle variation on this theme, by finding an early, erroneous or exaggerated scientific viewpoint, and then treating it as though it were still mainstream. In particular, he quotes from the work of a scientist who stated in 1979 that we could be losing something in the order of 40,000 species a year to human-driven extinction. To increase the caricature, Lomborg reprints the 40,000 species number on an X-Y graph so that the 40,000 figure spikes up like a sore thumb from a near-zero baseline from the years 1600-2000. Lomborg states that this "is a figure which with monotonous regularity has been repeated everywhere until in the end we all believed it." The problem is, it hasn't, and we don't (Lovejoy 2002). However, by emphasizing that 40,000 figure again and again, Lomborg tars with the same brush other, more current studies which still show an alarming loss in biodiversity over time.

In creating his straw man, Lomborg also engages another of the anti-science tools, observational selection. Sagan describes this as enumerating favorable circumstances by counting hits and avoiding misses. Lomborg refers to the 40,000 number repeatedly, without referring to the body of work of the scientist in question, carried out in eighty-plus published papers over the course of a twenty-year period (Myers 2001).

In Demon-Haunted World , Sagan talks frankly about himself, and other scientists, who occasionally get it wrong. The truth is, scientists make mistakes. Among those Sagan himself acknowledges was his belief that when Iraq torched Kuwaiti oil wells in 1991, the smoke might be enough to disrupt agriculture. While it did get dark at noon, and while Persian Gulf temperatures did drop several degrees, not enough smoke reached the stratosphere to cause serious long-term disruption. Sagan got it wrong (thank goodness).

Unfortunately, when a scientist is premature in making conclusions, or is simply wrong in the published literature, the paper stays around, bound somewhere on a library shelf, where it can be quoted many years later, as Lomborg has done. Never mind that there are more current figures: a past mistake may have been found, and thus the whole body of literature respecting biodiversity loss is suspect. This also illustrates two more of Sagan's anti-science tools: slippery slope, whereby letting even one, possibly exaggerated species-loss figure slide by without trashing the entire field may lead to complete chaos, and suppressed evidence, or half truths, wherein a claim that has been "caught out as poorly supported" is trumpeted with appropriate fanfare, at the same time as other claims in the same area are swept under the carpet, or given short shrift.

Argument from Authority

In the context of Lomborg's book, arguing from authority means garnering support from leaders in the field, especially if their support for you can be given without revealing their own existing prejudice in favor of your point of view. The English language version of Lomborg's book includes a number of favorable comments by various researchers reprinted on the covers. Most noticeable of these is the praise of researcher Matt Ridley. The words "a brilliant and powerful book," appear in big, bold print on the front cover, above the book's title, being a quote from "Matt Ridley, author of Genome ." Ridley is no slouch in the science field, and it would be tempting to conclude that his praise is high praise indeed from an impartial genetics researcher. Unfortunately, what isn't stated anywhere in The Skeptical Environmentalist is that Ridley is also a past editor of The Economist , and is very much a believer that economic progress can go hand in hand with environmental improvement. This is in fact a very contentious view, and is opposed by many in the field of sustainable development. How do we know Ridley believes this? Because he says so himself, in a followup letter in support of Lomborg published in Scientific American (Ridley 2002). Ridley may be right in encouraging a stronger linkage between economic development and sustainability, but that's not the point. Many people will see his support on the cover of The Skeptical Environmentalist , but only as the author of a popular book on genetics, and therefore out of context.

Ad Hominem Attacks

Lomborg decries what he perceives to be a number of personal attacks on himself in the myriad reviews that conflict with his own point of view. That may be in part a misplaced perception on the part of anyone who is an inexperienced gladiator in the scientific arena. As Sagan points out in Demon-Haunted World , scientists aren't there to be the friends of new theorists. They are there to test new views, to challenge them, to ensure that they are robust. However, Lomborg himself slips into the tactic of attacking the arguer, rather than the argument, when he states in his biodiversity chapter that the basis of opinion of biologists' arguments is that "there are many grants at stake."

Inconsistency

An example of the inconsistency principle, described in The Demon-Haunted World , is the belief that it is "reasonable for the Universe to continue to exist forever into the future, but judge absurd the possibility that it has infinite duration into the past." This is arguably the most oft-repeated complaint lodged against Lomborg's book. In addition to selective use of data, critics argue that Lomborg is inconsistent in his use of global or regional trends, and switches from one to the other where it pleases his argument. This produces interesting results when talking about percentages. Remember our "40,000 species a year" scientist? Lomborg is determined not to let him off the hook, and repeats this number several times in his biodiversity chapter. However, whenever Lomborg talks about the "true" state of biodiversity loss, he consistently expresses it as a percentage, or rate of loss. His reason for doing so is because that is the way biodiversity loss is measured these days. If so, however, why keep trotting out that old 40,000 species a year figure? Lomborg trumpets his own figure of 0.7 percent species loss per fifty years, with a sigh of relief. Things aren't as bad as we have been told. But with his own acceptance of current species numbers, Lomborg's estimate would still amount to thousands of species lost every year.

It just doesn't sound as bad when it's expressed as a rate of loss. This begs the question: should society be any less galvanized to take action against a biodiversity loss of several thousand, as opposed to scores of thousands of species annually? Apparently so, according to Lomborg, who considers that losing 0.7 percent of all species per fifty years is a lot rosier than 40,000 species a year. Thank goodness for percentages!

As you can see from the above analysis, people like Lomborg can get quite a bit of mileage debunking science. The anti-science tools I've mentioned are just a few in the larger collection Sagan sets out in The Demon-Haunted World . They can be quite fun to use, as a destructive exercise. Earlier in the last century, for example, we could have had a good crack at Einstein, on the basis of his lousy school record, paucity of published papers, unexplained holes in his work, such as the existence of dark matter, and that unusual, funky hairdo. Anyone who uses c as a mnemonic for the velocity of light must be seriously unstuck.

On a more serious note, I wish I could conclude by saying that Lomborg's book has had some benefit to science, perhaps by way of emphasizing the need for robustness in modeling, or the need for critical evaluation of data. As it happens, those already are central tenets of scientific inquiry, as they have been throughout the history of environmental debate. All that Lomborg has accomplished is to try, without much success, to expose the soft underbelly of science. That underbelly is the uncertainty that invariably accompanies the initial investigations of natural and physical phenomena. That's why the study of problems like global warming is so easy to attack. There is now general consensus that global warming is a genuine phenomenon, but the uncertainty among studies as to its scope and speed provide more than enough ammunition for those determined to seek weaknesses in the arguments, and thus dither away while the problem intensifies.

Unfortunately, the only groups that will be served by Lomborg's book will be the pro-development and anti-environmental lobbies. No doubt they've been clamoring for a "feel good" book like this, after all the bad news. I've already seen the book trotted out at globalization meetings hosted by private interest groups favoring free trade. In sum, I'd give Lomborg's book a pass. Go to the public library and check out Demon-Haunted World instead.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

You sure like Dr. Carl Sagan.

The man who predicted 1991 would be a year without summer because smoke from the Kuwait oil fires would shroud the earth. Alarmist BS.

1991 was a good year to get a tan. Unusually warm that year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit