There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

by Elsewhere 109 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Maybe that's because they can only get the BBC.

I may only watch the BBC because I can't stand advertising but we do have all the American news channels.

• upside/down
    upside/down

You've got a few decades of life left...have some fun and stop worrying!

There have been MANY ice ages on Earth... and man didn't cause or stop any of them...

Earth will do just fine...despite us.

u/d

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm going to term that the manyarna syndrome.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Ballistic...you have to understand that Elsewhere is from Texas. Need I say more? (They think that's the only place in the world...the rest of us do not exist!!! It's only important if it happens in Texas! In case you forgot, Bush is from Texas....)

I don't really understand Morwen's attidude...she talked about digging...maybe she could personally drive her diesel over to Prince William Sound...get out on the beach and see if when she digs in the sand, oil comes up---from the spill. They showed a team of scientists recently that did that, but you can never trust those guys!!! It's a long way for me to go, so maybe she would be willing to check it out for us and post her findings here. Also, if she would get out and interview some of the indigenous people there and let us know what they think about climate change/environmental issues and how it's affecting them.

About the JW thing, well I think that since I've realized that Armaggedon isn't coming, I think it's up to people to take care of the earth and the environment. There isn't a knight coming on a white horse to save our a$$es!!!

Swalker

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Before There Was Global Warming There Was Global Cooling

A few items for you.

Global Cooling

"This cooling has already killed hundreds of thousands of people. If it continues and no strong action is taken, it will cause world famine, world chaos and world war, and this could all come about before the year 2000."

-- Lowell Ponte "The Cooling", 1976

"If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000...This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age."

-- Kenneth E.F. Watt on air pollution and global cooling, Earth Day (1970)

Above referenced from: http://wizbangblog.com/2006/04/02/before-global-warming-there-was-global-cooling.php

• ballistic
    ballistic

SWALKER - thanks for explanation. Isn't it hot enough in Texas?

Double Edge - they used to say the world is flat. Would you use that as a reason to not accept that the earth is round?

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly
    I'm curious as to why lots of Americans on this site do not believe in global warming.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think most people here do agree Global Warming is happening. We have been in an overall warming trend for the past 18,000 years (since the Pleistocene age). Earth has done this in every interglacial period. If climate history is any guide, Earth should continue to warm melting all the glaciers and raising sea levels, until entering yet another ice age cycle.

What's at issue is the notion that Carbon Dioxide is responsible for the warming trend noted since accurate temperature recordings began (1880). CO2 levels are the same as they were ~

Water vapor is by far the most influential greenhouse gas accounting for 95% of the greenhouse effect that keeps our planet habitable. Carbon Dioxide contributes ~3%, Other gases (Methane, N2O, etc) make up the remaining ~2%. So just how much have human generated greenhouse gases changed this mixture? Answer: 0.25% That means that 99.75% of the greenhouse effect that's so necessary to sustain our climate is due to natural causes completely out of our realm of influence.

So when we talk about manmade CO2 are only talking about the 0.25% impact we are having on the greenhouse effect. Now I have to ask, would Earth's resources be best utilized by implementing policies (like Kyoto) that would cost Trillions of Dollars/Euro's/yen when it's impact will be imperceptable? (only slowing the warming trend by ~1/20th of a degree). Or would those same Trillions be better spent on species protection, Drinking water/sanitation, global education, or free ice cream on weekends?

References: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html#anchor2108263

"We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest." - Stephen Schneider (leading advocate of the global warming theory (in interview for Discover magazine, Oct 1989)

• ballistic
    ballistic

Again I think this is a poor argument because you are not quantifying what effect a change in CO2 actually does. You are only comparing CO2 to other greenhouse gases, or vapour in fact. We know the average temperature has risen 0.6 degrees C and the spring ice thaw in the Northern Hemisphere occurs 9 days earlier than it did 150 years ago, and the fall freeze now typically starts 10 days later.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

free ice cream on weekends? Why didn't I think of that? Maybe someone could invent huge ice making machines and drop huge ice cubes at both polar caps and cool this planet back off!!!

Swalker (thinks eating cold ice cream would definately help instead of drinking hot coffee---get rid of all Starbuck's now!)

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I can't comment on the issues involved. However, here in Oregon we have record snowfall in the Cascade mountains. There is so much snow around Crater Lake that you cannot see it from the road but must climb a huge 35 foot snowbank to see the lake. It's more snow than any of the locals can remember for decades.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit