Why shouldn't I be a JW?

by AirDuster 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Hi Airduster, welcome to the board! In answer to your question, for me it was the following:

1) The lack of love - the climate of condemnation, judging, guilt trips and the message - you will die, die, die if you don't do xy&z. I was afraid of Jehovah, I didn't love him and I never thought he loved me, I just wasn't good enough, and where was Jesus in all this? - now I know my God and my Lord, I am approved, loved and they are pleased with me, I never knew that as a JW. Also on the surface there is warmth and love but the second you think, act, speak or do anything contrary to their belief, make no mistake, you will be cut off, that happened to my mom and It hurt me to see the way she was treated like dirt by family and 'The friends'. And years later, it happened to me.

2) I was miserable! - For being part of the happiest people on earth, I was so sad, trying hard to do everything they asked and it was never enough. I saw the faith and joy of Christians and I began to wonder, how was that possible without the 'truth'?

3) My doubts - I just woke up one morning and had to face them. At the time, I was a reg.pioneer and scared to death. I never read anything 'apostate' or spoke to a former JW. I just knew in my heart and soul that I didn't believe that God would wipe out the majority of the earth's population just so that I and a few others could live in paradise. I hated the Armageddon pictures. I hated the gleeful way 'The friends' would watch the news and hope for the end. I thought, I'm not hoping for my non-JW family to die, I don't want the 'worldly' kids next door to die. It took me 5 years to finally leave because I didn't want to face the fact that it never was, never will be 'The truth'.

I wish you happiness and peace, God Bless - V Sky

• lowden
    lowden

Hi Airduster'

GOOD GOD that's a loaded question, but a good one!!! You're gonna get a helluva lot of replies and differing opinions..read them all. I hope you find your way soon. These guys know their stuff, really!! Listen hard my friend, listen hard.

Peace to ya

Lowden

• jambon1
    jambon1
    I just knew in my heart and soul that I didn't believe that God would wipe out the majority of the earth's population just so that I and a few others could live in paradise. I hated the Armageddon pictures. I hated the gleeful way 'The friends' would watch the news and hope for the end. I thought, I'm not hoping for my non-JW family to die, I don't want the 'worldly' kids next door to die.

Sorry for being lazy & not typing much of my own but the points raised by others feelings really sound like how I felt.

Best,

J

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I will tell you I decided I shouldn't be a JW:

1) Love is Kind. (1 Cor 13:4) Shunning is not.

Growing up a JW, I lived in fear that one day I would have to shun someone I loved or they would have to shun me. Horrible, terrifying fear. THERE IS NO FEAR IN LOVE.

2) I always thought growing up that the NWT was a good translation, but I heard that some people said it was 'changed.' One day I went to the library and researched that. It took me one afternoon, pre-internet, to find out that the NWT is mistranslated in several places so that it better supports JW doctrine. I had been decieved! I suggest you do the research for yourself! All it takes is ONE scripture changed to mean something different than it actually says to show the dishonesty of the translators, and there is more than one.

3) Even as a little kid, the teaching of the 144,000 made no sense to me. As an adult reading through the Bible, I could find no support for the teaching that only 144,000 go to heaven. I did learn that the Bible teaches something else.

4) BLOOD. So the JWs say that the Bible says you should die instead of having a blood transfusion because it is a sin and a crime. Yet there is nothing in the Bible that says that. AND even if there was a rule about blood transfusions in the Bible (there isn't) Jesus said the rules should be broken to save a life. He wants mercy not sacrifice. The blood teaching is DEADLY and UNBIBLICAL. And when you really look into the teaching more deaply, you find that it is a sham anyway! JWs ARE alowed by the GB to take blood, they just don't know it. Now that is a sin and a crime. Murder, in fact.

5) The teachings of the JWs lead to people being self-rightous, unloving, judgmental and full of self-importance. By their fruits you shall know them!!!

I could go on and on. But I won't. Do your research. Answer your questions. There are librarys. There is the internet. The answers are out there in NON_APOSTATE sources. Good luck Best wishes to you.

-Lisa

• wombat
    wombat

AirDuster...

You asked a question and 54 people have responded.

It would be polite for you to acknowledge their efforts.

I realise that this is your very first post and that you may be young. But it is polite to respond.

Else no-one will take any interest in you in future.

They may even think that you are just pretending to be someone you aren't.

So just pop back and say a quick "HI..I'm thinking about it".

• formyboys
    formyboys

Welcome to the board, Airduster.

What always bothered me, from a young teen onward, was the constant teaching that if you were not a JW you would die. The entire message I found in the Greek Scriptures was the mercy and love of Jehovah.

As a hovering adult, associated with several congregations in different parts of the US, was the OVERWHELMING lack of love that was displayed by word or action. I know "man" is imperfect, but that does not negate the fact that Jesus said that you would know his people for the love they would display. Jesus did not say "conditional love". There was no qualifier in his statement. This "lack of love" is what pushed me to seriously examine the doctrines the JW's teach.

I don't know how old you are, but don't waste years or decades sitting on the fence about this. Once you are out or have firmly faded, you'll be stunned at how emotionally immature you are. Then begins the struggle to finish growing up. Reading this boards has been very helpful for men in knowing many have struggled with the exact same feelings and issues.

Wishing you the best

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Airduster, AJWRB is also a very good info site.

Frannie

• KW13
    KW13

Hey firstly welcome!

If your wrong, your best admitting it. The WBT Society spends a long time covering mistakes up!

607 BCE, UN scandal, prophecies that never came...if they were God's org they would of done!!!!

• acadian
    acadian

Welcome to the board Airduster,

What happened, where's Airduster.

UncleBruce, looks like you scare'd another one away! LoL

If you are still here airduster, I would advise you, just like the elders use to do, to me,

when I'd ask them a question, they would say, you look it up, do the research.

So I did do the research, and guess what , I was told to stop researching because,(as the elder put it) you don't want to get ahead of the organization.

Well I kept researching, and confimed what I already believed, so I DAed myself from the Borg.

Don't expect us or anyone to show you the truth about the WTS, for you to truly understand and comprehind what the WTS is all about, you need to do as all the rest of us here have done.

RESEARCH...

And I couldn't agree more with Clam:

The truth is in you waiting to be discovered

So true...

Kind Regards

Acadian

• Calliope
    Calliope

if it weren't for russel branching out of his prior belief system,
    we'd all be adventists.

what is truth?

calliopé