Why shouldn't I be a JW?

by AirDuster 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• imfreeimfree
    imfreeimfree

Hi AirDuster, welcome.

First read the two books "Crisis of Conscience" & "In Search of Christian Freedom" published by a former member of the governing body, Ray Franz, then you will be in much better position to ask: "Why shouldn’t I be a JW", and arrive at your own conclusion. After sixty years as a JW I discovered that just because there are many sincere, honest people, it does not alter the fact that they have been hijacked by the GB, and have been deceived in a most subtle ways.

Please keep in mind that to be a Christian you have to follow Christ, not theologies of men. Sadly I found that some of their core teachings like 1914 have been slanted to mislead.

The publications are available at

www.commentarypress.com

Best wishes.

David

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hi Airduster. Well, it`s all pretty simple. I mean, there are lots of things you`ll need to learn, about 607bc, 1914, the UN-scandal etc, but to me, this is what it boils down to:

First of all, they claim to be a prophet. Well, actually, they are saying both things, that they are a prophet (when it`s time to get the members of their butts and work harder, and then, after a failed prophecy or when something goes wrong, they say that they are not. But usually, they say that they are):

"Wanted - a Messenger .. WHAT IS REQUIRED OF GOD'S MESSENGER .. More accurately, was there any group on whom Jehovah would be willing to bestow the commission to speak as a 'prophet' in His name, as was done toward Ezekiel back there in 613 B.C.E.? .. It is of importance to every individual on earth to identify the group that Jehovah has commissioned as his 'servant' or messenger. We must recognize and understand the warning that he brings. We need to take action on the warning to safeguard our lives, for they are in a danger as grave as that of the lives of Jerusalem's citizens as that city neared destruction. For this reason forthcoming issues of The Watchtower will further discuss the identity and work of Jehovah's commissioned messenger as revealed in His vision to Ezekiel." {WT Mar 15 1972}

"'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them' People today can view the creative works. They have at hand the Bible, but it is little read or understood. So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come? .. IDENTIFYING THE 'PROPHET' .. These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is this prophet? .. This 'prophet' was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian witnesses. They are still proclaiming a warning .. Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a 'prophet' of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?" {WT Apr 1 1972}

Secondly, they have a long track-record of coming up with prophecies that failed to come true.The predicted Armageddon in 1874, 1884, 1914 (yes, 1914 was the year Armageddon was going to come, not his invisible presence, this is something they came up with later on), 1915, the ressurection of the "prophets of old" in 1925, Armageddon in 1975, and before the literal generation of 1914 had died out, which they changed in 1995. These are to many articles to quote here, but you can read thru all of it here:

http://www.jwfiles.com/

Read thru the "Large List of Predictions"-pages (not just predictions, all sorts of stuff), and then check with your yearbooks, if you are in doubt if these things were really said in the Watchtower. And then, while you are reading, keep this in the back of your mind at all times:

Deuteronomy 18:20 “But if any prophet presumes to speak anything in my name that I have not authorized him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 18:21 Now if you say to yourselves, ‘How can we tell that a message is not from the Lord?’ – 18:22 whenever a prophet speaks in my name and the prediction is not fulfilled, then I have not spoken it; the prophet has presumed to speak it, so you need not fear him.”

That is the summary. The "prophet" is a false prophet, and must die. But you have a lot to learn before you understand that. Search around the internet, just type in "watchtower society" or "Jehovahs witnesses" in Google, and you`ll get a ton of hits. Start your research.

• inquirer
    inquirer

THEY SHARE AT LEAST ONE HUNDRED SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH! THERE
    IS 25 ON THE SITE BELOW, I ADDED ANOTHER 75 IN MY NOTEBOOK AT HOME!!!!

1. Centralized World-wide church government from which all official doctrine
    comes. The Pope and the Governing body.

2. A city where world headquarters permanently resides: Rome, Italy and
    Brooklyn, NY, USA

3. Authority of this "world organization" is not to be questioned.

4. Both consider God to be the head of the world organization.

5. Both the Pope and the Governing body both claim inspiration.

6. Both organizations are "spirit directed" by God.

7. A simple definition of both is as follows: "Definition of a Catholic/Jw:
    'Someone who accepts Rome/Brooklyn as God's visible spirit-directed theocratic
    organization upon the earth.

8. Both have official yearly meetings of the world leaders.

9. The official doctrines that have changed dramatically over time.

10. Both claim "new light" or progressive revelation to explain doctrinal
    changes.

11. Both teach the organization is supreme over the Bible rather than the Bible
    being supreme over the organization.

12. The average members are told by the organization that they cannot understand
    the Bible without the help of the official organization.

13. Both discourage independent thinking from the world organization.

14. Both continue to blindly follow the organization in spite of major doctrinal
    changes, reversals and flip-flops.

15. Both "explain away" doctrinal changes, reversals and flip-flops by claiming
    "new light".

16. Both view every other church as heretical and false.

17. No salvation outside of their organization.

18. The word of the organization is unquestionably final.

19. Interpreting the Bible is the sole right of the organization.

20. Both make claims that because of their size, growth, activity, they must
    have the truth.

21. Both have authoritative writings in addition to the Bible. Creeds,
    catechisms and the watchtower.

22. Both teach that you cannot understand the Bible unless you compare the Bible
    with their official "authoritative writings" Creeds and Watchtower.

23. Both have an official clergy system with special privileges and rights the
    common member does not have. Priests and the Governing body.

24. Both have system of monasteries where "most holy and dedicated" selflessly
    pledge to do the "work for God" without any material rewards. No children are
    allowed in both. Catholic = monasteries; JW = Bethel

25. Both cover up sexual molestation between men and children. We know that
    pedophilia can happen anywhere, schools, sports teams and churches. Covering up
    such acts is wrong. The CBC program, "The Fifth Estate" aired a TV program on
    Sept 12, 2003 documenting how sexual abuse is routinely covered up in the
    Kingdom Hall’s of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The Catholic church has a similar history
    of covering up sexual abuse cases.

• inquirer
    inquirer

But the main reason was the attitude. They treat people like ____. And after reading Ray's books, it'd be crazy for me to go back.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Anyway, I was going to ask if you guys could list some compelling reasons backed by evidence as to why I should no longer be a JW.

1. Jesus called you to follow Him. Matthew 4:19 The society calls you to follow them. To follow the society is to follow a false god.
    2. The Watchtower's claims that the rest of Christendom strayed is false. Go to the local library and check out every one of the Watchtower's references in their critical assessment of Christendom. Their quotes are invariably biased or out of context.
      1. http://www.isitso.org/guide/guide.html
      2. http://www.witforjesus.org/jehovahs_witness/online/ysbt/ysbt_contents.php
      3. http://www.religiousstudies.uncc.edu/jdtabor/future.html
    3. You've been lied to about the continuity of Watchtower beliefs and thought. These errors typically are covered up rather than admitted to. There have been major doctrinal shifts and errors over the years, and never an apology to the congregation. http://www.reexamine.org/quotes
  • Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

With so many lies they have spewed out and not to mention the over 120 years of false prophesy and the hypocrisy of them, there is not the tiniest chance they have the truth!

I would tell you to research them and start with Raymond Franz books..'Crisis of Conscience' and 'In Search of Christian Freedom'.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Airduster, welcome to the JWD forum!

If you're sincerely wanting to get the "real deal" along with hard facts, examine the pertinent articles on the freeminds.org website and the silentlambs website. The info should be real eye-openers. Also, can anyone tell Airduster where to find a mirror of "Quotes" website on the net? That'll be very informative, too. Just the facts, man.

Frannie

• unique1
  • wombat
    wombat

Hi AirDuster..

I hope that you are reading all of this...A lot of people have spent a lot of time giving genuine responses. Just let us know that you are still here.

My addition would be: Be prepared to lose every friend that you have made in your life. Relatives, close and far, included.

All of your new friends will be at your Kingdom Hall. They will call you "Brother" and will be like family for the first few months.

If/when you change your mind about being a member of the Watch Tower Society of New York, you will have no friends at your Kingdom Hall. They will spurn you in public. And it will be a very hard job getting your old friends back.

You would be very lonely.

• jambon1
    jambon1
    Are you anxiously waiting for Jehovah to violently and painfully kill 99.99% (6.5 Billion minus 6 million Dubs) of the world's population because they "deserve" it; even the small children?

If not, then you are in the wrong group. Everything the Dubs do is geared towards this ocurring as soon as possible.

My sentiments exactly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit