RABBIT PROOF FENCE --- TRUE STORY/ AUSSIE FILM

by LDH 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• LDH
    LDH

I rented this last night and really loved it.

Have any of you blokes and sheilas seen it, then, and what did you think?

• wombat
    wombat

Hi LDH...It was on TV a couple of nights ago but I didn't watch it. Played Sudoko instead. (Do they have that in the States?)

I read so many critical reviews of the film. Some praising it and others deploring it. I have a bit of knowledge of the issues from personal experience - from both sides of the fence.

I prefer to have the attitude that we can't change the past and I know that modern day Australian citizens would never contemplate acting that way towards each other again.

The early colonial settlers did treat the original inhabitants as animals. They weren't even included in the census until the early '60s. Massacers and poisonings were rife.

But the missions did save the lives of many half-caste children who were spurned by their people.

Sudoku is a great game. Find it on Google.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I watched it a couple of years back. It's a really good film. Just how representative it is of the overall situation that happened I don't know.

What's important is that nations learn from their past errors rather than try to sweep them under the carpet.

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, I watched it. Very good film! Oh what God sees! When I see children suffer I just want to help so much!!

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, this was a great movie, but disturbing too on so many different levels. The strength of the Aboringines was amazing though. A must see on my list of movie recommendations.

cybs

• LDH
    LDH

Well silly of course we have sudoku.

I watch movies like that to see what I can learn in moving forward. Playing the blame game doesn't do it for me. The world was a different world then. I have no doubt some of those people thought they were 'helping' the poor little half-castes.

One thing the movie did not say. Were full-blooded Aboriginal children also stolen?

• greendawn
    greendawn

I saw it about a year ago on TV and it was a good film with three half caste children taken away from their mother supposedly to be civilised as a misguided Branagh said but it was great that they had the guts to escape from the orphanage where they were taken and follow the rabbit fence.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I saw it at the cinema a few years back (Sydney 2001?) When it first came out. I thought it was a good film for several reasons. One, it was a true story. Two, I had hoped it would give wider publicity to the whole stolen generation cause outside of Oz. Three, the three main aboriginal actresses were complete armatures, they had never acted a day in their lives when they were chosen to play those parts. Yet the scene where they were snatched was REALLY disturbing mainly due to their acting ability.

The oldest lead girl ran away from the set several times during production because she found the work so hard and by all accounts she was a right cow because she didn't really want to do acting and be away from home. She threw a major fit when she was told she'd have to have her hair cut for the part! Since doing the film shes gone on to woo people on stage in Oz and in the UK.

I'd recommend the film, if only to show you just how inhumaine we as a race can be to one another.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Lori and I love this film. The man who played the Aboriginal tracker is an Aboriginal tracker who has done some really fine film work, including this one. Can't think of his name at the moment.

He actually changed the ending of the film. It was written that the children would fool the tracker by walking backwards. When the actor came to that scene, he laughed, saying that no tracker would ever be fooled by someone walking backward. The trick would be absolutely obvious. So instead, he did the scene showing that he knew what the children had done, but pretended to the white men that he'd been fooled and lost the track. What's great, is that he does it all without saying a word. You know just from the expressions on his face.

S4

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

An excellent film. I watched it about a year ago on TV.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit