RABBIT PROOF FENCE --- TRUE STORY/ AUSSIE FILM

by LDH 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• vitty
    vitty

I watched the film about a month ago, I really enjoyed it but couldnt understand the reasoning behind the policy of taking the children away.

I think I may have missed the explaination. I know that it was because they were "half caste" but still I didnt understand. So if anyone wants to tell me why they did it, Id love to know.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

The Idea behind taking the kids away was that they were mixed race, the gov thought that as mixed race they would have a better chance at life if they were snatched and raised by whites, rather than live on a reservation with their aboriginal mothers. When the policy started there was a real shortage of domestic workers in Australia, so by snatching these kids and raising them they way they were raised they would have a ready source of cheap domestic labour.

• deeskis
    deeskis

I saw the film when it was first out in the cinemas and was moved by it. Got it out later on DVD for the rest of the family to watch.

The mindset of that generation thought that the aboriginies were inferior and that the kids born with some white in them would have a better chance of a future if they were taken away from their families. I have an aboriginal friend in his fifties who had a similar thing happen to him, he was on the run and passed around to relatives to keep him away from authorities.

The powers that be actually expected that the aboriginals would disappear or be "bred out" within a few generations, and taking their half caste children was part of that strategy. It makes me feel bad that human beings did that en mass to their fellow man.

Yes I'm sorry it happened. It's the same sorrow about what was done to unmarried pregnant women in the 1960's. They were bullied and forced to give up their babies for adoption and had virtually no support or rights. Similar situation to kids in orphanages in the uk who were shipped off to australia as often slave labour after the 2nd world war. They were told their parents were dead, and their family were told that they had been adopted.

The authorities at that time thought that they knew better, and ruled with an iron fist, not to be questioned.

any similarities............

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, saw it - an intelligent film and one which should have created a greater impact.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Its a film that every Australian should watch and understand why this was done. This practice was finally stopped in 1972 I think so very recently. There are adults who got stolen from their families and have still never found them again. Organisations have been put in place to try and help 'link-up' these stolen children.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

misspeaches:

You've changed!!!

• LDH
    LDH
    Its a film that every Australian should watch and understand why this was done.

Substitue "human" for "Austrailian" and I'll agree.

RE: the actors not being 'actors' --agree. Watched the special feature and they weren't 'stage actors' by any stretch of the imagination. The 12 year old, Evelyn??? did have a cow when they cut her hair.

• toreador
    toreador

Is this available in the US?

• Frog
    Frog
    I prefer to have the attitude that we can't change the past and I know that modern day Australian citizens would never contemplate acting that way towards each other again.

As much as I luvya Wombat, I have to say I'm not so certain I can concur fully with this statement.

I believe the current government has a long way to go toward Aboriginal reconciliation (as I'm sure do you), and the idea of standing up and saying sorry to these people who have suffered so much is an vital one for closure and healing. Just as the German government got up & said sorry to the Jews.

Much in the same way that even though Rutherford & Russell were the original instigators of the deplorable cult that we've all been subjected to in some form or other, the FDS are utterly responsible for the pain & suffering currently being inflicted on its followers all these years later through failing to admit to their mistakes and by being the current head proponents of the organisations harmful policies.

This movie was an important one, but only just skimmed the surface of issues & attitudes that led to the stolen generation. It's a start though, and there should be more like it. I don't know how well it did overseas, but I believe its a good start for bringing international reproach on the Australian government past & present. Documentaries on the current situation in aboriginal communities should also be circulated to a wider audience. The indigenous people of Australia are without question the most disadvantaged of Australia's citizens in the area of health, education, housing outcomes. As Miss Peaches said, these issues are very recent ones, with many overt policies only brought to an end in the 70s.

• LDH
    LDH

Toreador,

Got it at Hollywood video, and I'm in California. I'm sure you should be able to find it in Mississippi.

The pure human factor of girls walking unaccompanied for 1,500 miles was enough to make me pick up the box.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit